Talk

Advanced search

Cancelled a takeaway

(31 Posts)
kakala Thu 23-Feb-17 19:59:44

Not the most exciting post but was wondering if I should feel guilty.

DP ordered a takeaway online. But the shop cancelled it. So he called up and told the order over the phone to which they said they would call back in 2 minutes to take payment as they were busy.

They never phoned back so 20 minutes later dp phoned back and was told they would call him back in 2 minutes.

Another 20 minutes passed. We both assumed we weren't going to get an order so shoved something in the oven.

Then some half an hour later they called, must be an hour and a half since we first tried to order they phone us and ask for payment details. Dp tells him to cancel the order as he didn't want to wait another hour for food to come.

They said they'd already cooked the food (which I didn't realise they had done) and was waiting to deliver just wanted payment. We had already eaten by this point so he told them he didn't want it, the guy got really rude and said we are banned for ever ordering there again blush

Were we unfair?

HeyRoly Thu 23-Feb-17 20:00:48

Nope.

Grindelwaldswand Thu 23-Feb-17 20:00:57

No that's a ridiculous waiting time and sounds so tedious id have gone elsewhere with my cash when they cancelled the order the first time
Cheeky twats

Lilaclily Thu 23-Feb-17 20:01:12

Sounds a complete balls up on their part

CandleWithHair Thu 23-Feb-17 20:01:31

YABU. They were crap, but one of you should have called back to tell them not to bother.

Crunchymum Thu 23-Feb-17 20:01:34

Nope. If it went down the way you said then YWNBU.

Leave them a bad review if they are on social media.

Renton Thu 23-Feb-17 20:01:41

No!!!! They were at fault for not even letting you know it was cooking/being prepared.

Sounds like really bad customer service.

lampshady Thu 23-Feb-17 20:01:56

I'm impressed with his resolve to wait as long as he did.

dementedpixie Thu 23-Feb-17 20:02:12

No, you gave them several chances to get payment and they chose not to take it...their own fault tbh

ElvishArchdruid Thu 23-Feb-17 20:04:24

I would have called back a few more times. By the 4th time of being told we'll call back, I would have said forget it.

SquedgieBeckenheim Thu 23-Feb-17 20:06:31

Nope, I'd have done the same! If they really wanted your order they'd have taken payment the first time.

PuppyMonkey Thu 23-Feb-17 20:16:45

You got banned grin

Megatherium Thu 23-Feb-17 20:21:08

I'm finding it difficult to understand how they had time to organise the cooking but not to pick up the phone to take payment, so I strongly suspect they were lying. If they were genuine, they should have phoned you back, apologised profusely for the delay and asked whether you still wanted to go ahead given that an hour had gone by since your original order.

It doesn't sound like being banned is any great loss.

KitKat1985 Thu 23-Feb-17 20:23:45

No, you weren't unreasonable. I'd have done the same and assume the takeaway wasn't coming. Very poor customer service on their part.

Justmuddlingalong Thu 23-Feb-17 20:25:06

Name and shame them on a review site. That'll teach em.

Oblomov17 Thu 23-Feb-17 20:25:29

Wait till tomorrow and then phone to speak to the manager to complain.

Floggingmolly Thu 23-Feb-17 20:26:04

What a shower of of muppets! And announcing you're banned, like a petulant toddler, when you don't want to accommodate their incompetent screw up grin

Magicpaintbrush Thu 23-Feb-17 20:28:40

After all that mucking you about you surely don't want to go back there anyway? Terrible customer service. That would give me the rage.

Serialweightwatcher Thu 23-Feb-17 20:29:57

I'd have cancelled after they didn't call back when they said 2 minutes and never used them again anyway so I wouldn't worry about it

SpongebobRoundPants Thu 23-Feb-17 20:43:54

Yabu.

For cooking instead of ordering from another takeaway.

GabsAlot Thu 23-Feb-17 20:56:33

are they the only ones round your area-of course yanbu just wonder why youre so bothered that they banned you

LucklessMonster Thu 23-Feb-17 21:07:57

YWBU to wait 40 minutes to order! Probably closer to an hour including the online ordering.

But no, YWNBU. That's a ridiculous way for them to run a business.

roseshippy Thu 23-Feb-17 21:13:59

report them to the online company. they will get in trouble for that.

Himoverthere Thu 23-Feb-17 21:19:03

If it went down as you said, then no you weren't, no great loss being banned by them as I am sure you would have no intention of attempting to use such a shambolically run company again, especially as the ineffective wank stain was rude to you!

DesolateWaist Thu 23-Feb-17 21:38:14

I would have zero plans to order from them again anyway so being banned is no issues.

Unless they are the only takeaway in your town I don't understand why you persisted in ordering from them after the first fail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now