Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone been the subject of infant observation process?

(9 Posts)
user1474476735 Thu 23-Feb-17 19:08:10

I'm expecting my second baby in April and have been asked to be the subject of mother -infant observation which involves a psychoanalyst in training coming to observe me and my new baby for 1 hour a week for between 1-2 years, as part of their studies.
Wondering if anyone has any experiences of doing this themselves and can tell me what it was like. Did they find it invasive? Inconvenient? Beneficial in any way?
Any feedback gratefully received!
Tia smile

Lovewineandchocs Thu 23-Feb-17 19:12:31

I've done this only it was observation of my 2 year old. I didn't find it invasive tbh, she just sat in the corner and took a few notes. She mostly came to mother and toddler groups rather than to the house. I wouldn't say I found anything particularly beneficial about it, but I was happy to help and it wasn't any inconvenience to me.

imip Thu 23-Feb-17 19:14:57

I've done it also and didn't find it invasive. It was a little irritating getting ready for it, and I'm uncomfortable with awkward silences, but really worthwhile doing.

I did it for an overseas student who wouldn't have had a hope of finding anyone to volunteer!

Twinchaos1 Thu 23-Feb-17 19:17:15

I did this as my training, I can't say what it was like for the people I observed but I was very grateful. I mostly went to groups, it seemed less invasive.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Thu 23-Feb-17 19:57:30

How do you volunteer for this?

hobnobsaremyfave Thu 23-Feb-17 20:01:03

I did it for a friend over 10 years ago.
We knew him quite well beforehand but now have a friend for life and ds3 is quite proud of having been in a book (disertation grin)

imip Thu 23-Feb-17 21:00:17

I was going to do it for another mum who was doing a course that required observation. Apparently it was not allowed between friends, do they asked me to volunteer for someone else. They are pretty worthy courses to study. Mine was infant psychiatry iirc.

I see people requesting people to participate on mn local.

user1474476735 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:05:33

Thanks for your replies on this smile x

Hygellig Mon 06-Mar-17 21:20:39

I had someone visit me from when my son was born until he was two for an hour a week. It was for part of her course (I have forgotten which one but I think she was a nurse working in adolescent mental health - my mum knew of her through work which is how she was put in touch with me). I used to quite like having some company (she was very friendly) and didn't find it an inconvenience. She used to just watch me and my son, but didn't interact with him unless he approached her. She came to introduce herself when I was pregnant to talk about what she would be doing and showed me her DBS certificate. I have no idea what became of her notes however, and she has now emigrated so I doubt I'll see her again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now