Talk

Advanced search

Potentially TMI period-related question - am I being paranoid about this?

(28 Posts)
TMIperiodconcerns Thu 23-Feb-17 18:11:22

This has been bothering me for quite a while. I have a very specific problem that makes my periods more stressful for me than they otherwise would be. Whenever I am on mine, I always make sure that I wear as much perfume as I can tolerate and I also put more deodorant on than I normally do. The reason for this is that I am worried that other people can smell that I'm on my period. I find myself consciously trying not to get too near to anyone in case they notice it. If they do smell something on me, I'd prefer it to be perfume instead of the smell of period blood. It is especially worrisome if I am meeting someone for the first time. I am convinced that people have noticed it on me before even if they haven't told me. I don't think most people would mention it anyway as it's obviously not a pleasant thing to tell someone. Have you ever noticed a period smell on someone else? Does it sound like I am worrying about it too much?

TwentyCups Thu 23-Feb-17 18:14:09

I share this fear. I smell different on my period - my sweat has a different scent, and I can tell the day before it will happen from this. However, it doesn't smell of blood or anything, just different. I can't describe it. My partner swears he can't smell anything different, and I've never noticed it on anyone else! I think it's just one of those things that only we notice smile
I use cloth pads btw - ditch any scented disposables you might be tempted by as they really do smell!

foodiefil Thu 23-Feb-17 18:14:43

Sounds like you're worrying too much. Can you smell it? Do you use pads or tampons? I imagine pads would smell more - I use tampons so don't know. I have smelt it on others but not overpoweringly and it hasn't grossly offended me. I'd say that was in the minority though if you're washing daily. You're not dirty because you're on your period - if it makes you feel better carry those femfresh wipes as well. You might offend people with the overpowering perfume smell!

PolterGoose Thu 23-Feb-17 18:14:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

namechange20050 Thu 23-Feb-17 18:15:03

I have never noticed the smell on anyone, ever! Not even when I was pregnant and had a nose like a bloodhound. Have you thought of using a mooncup or similar? Seems to be the most odour free form of protection. Might put your mind at rest.

AnyFucker Thu 23-Feb-17 18:17:03

I have never smelled anyone like this and I come into contact with a wide cross section of the community

Do you suffer anxiety in general?. This is not a proportionate reaction, love

ScoobyDoosTinklyLaugh Thu 23-Feb-17 18:22:25

This happens to me, sort of. I've come to the conclusion that being on my period does something to my sense of smell. I was the same when I was pregnant. I thought I reeked all the time, apparently I didn't.

ScoobyDoosTinklyLaugh Thu 23-Feb-17 18:24:00

Also I use reusable pads now and they smell far less than the disposables. But I don't think I was that smelly anyway, just hyper aware of it for some reason.

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom Thu 23-Feb-17 18:24:29

I also think this level of anxiety about this particular thing is not normal sorry, I'm pretty sure that no-one can sniff out the fact you're on a period.

Peachypeaches Thu 23-Feb-17 18:25:53

The only time I've ever smelled that someone was on their period it was a whiff of perfumed sanitary towel (unmistakeably awful smell) rather than blood.

SparklyLeprechaun Thu 23-Feb-17 18:27:25

I've never smelled period on anyone, but I'd give you a wide berth if you were covered in perfume.

PuppyMonkey Thu 23-Feb-17 18:30:26

Same as SparklyL - your overpowering perfume is far more likely to make people run for the hills.

ElvishArchdruid Thu 23-Feb-17 18:31:04

Can't ever said I've ever picked up on such a scent. As my Dad would say you probably smell like a pox doctors surgery with loads of deodorant and perfume. That's a kinda of good kind of bad thing, as in your perfume leaves a trail. Which if you wear nice perfume is good, I remember when Joop for men came into fashion, not so good. They'd spray it like they were fumigating somewhere.

Kikikaakaa Thu 23-Feb-17 18:35:33

Something does change but I am not sure if it's my body or my sense of smell. It does go after a short time and I have only ever noticed myself no one else

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 23-Feb-17 18:53:42

I am the same. Convinced I smell of it. I ask my husband every time if he can smell it but he says he can't. I keep saying be honest!

I suspect it is a heightened awareness thing because we know.

Olympiathequeen Thu 23-Feb-17 19:43:10

Never on any other woman. I only notice on myself when I've not been able to change my pad often enough, such as at the end of the night. If I am out and about I will use a baby wipe to cleanse before changing pads to make sure it's all fresh. I hate tampons u fortunately, but will use them if I'm feeling really in need of being super clean, say for a job interview.

justilou Thu 23-Feb-17 23:20:06

I used to feel this way too. I felt like my body odour changed to a very strong, rancid vanilla cupcake kind of scent. Nobody else could smell it and I was conscious of it all the time. Weird!!!

Astoria7974 Fri 24-Feb-17 02:04:13

Are you changing your pads often enough? If you have heavy periods the extra absorbant tampons can make you sweat - so you should be changing every 2-3 hours minimum. Try unscented pads as they have less of a santitary scent.

GreatFuckability Fri 24-Feb-17 02:43:37

I LOVE joop......Memories of my teenage years..<irrelevant>

I've never smelt another woman's period.

Bluesrunthegame Fri 24-Feb-17 22:43:19

My former boss smelled horrible when she was having her period. She liked to let everyone know she was having her period, but we had usually already guessed. In her defence, she shared a tiny shower room in a rented house with lots of others and I don't think she showered every day.

Many years ago a woman I worked with often smelled when she was having her period, sort of a sour smell. Again, she shared a bathroom in a house with lots of other people and didn't shower every day. I'm thinking if you shower or bath every day, you won't smell and won't need all the perfume.

DirtyDancing Fri 24-Feb-17 22:59:48

As long as , when you are on you: shower regularly, wear cotton underwear and natural fibres e.g. Cotton trousers (e.g. Don't go round in spandex or polyester as it will make you sweat which will add to the smell!) and change your pad regularly you'll be fine. Honestly people can't smell it unless someone's hygiene is bit below par.

PickledCauliflower Fri 24-Feb-17 23:06:05

I have never experienced a smell that tells me that woman is on her period. I work with dozens of different women every day.
I think I have quite sensitive nose too. As soon as I step on a train or bus, I get a whiff of BO, when others say they can't smell anything.

You may well be worrying unnecessarily about this.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Fri 24-Feb-17 23:11:26

Never smelled it.

My mum had horrendously heavy periods and did leak on quite a few occasions. Couldn't smell her at all.

I had the bloodhound nose thing while pregnant - women smelled the same with it without a period.

I think my period smells and that's one of the reasons I always used tampons not towels. Maybe you are more sensitive to your own period - or just a bit paranoid about it so we are hyper aware.

MouseholeCat Fri 24-Feb-17 23:15:30

Have never smelt another woman's period... and I went to an all girl's school, so you'd think if anyone had ever whiffed, it would have been then I'd have noticed it.

Have smelt people's floral scented sanipads though boak

I'd definitely be bothered by excess perfume if I worked in close confines with you- I'm allergic to some artificial fragrances and can't stop sneezing around them.

ShoutOutToMyEx Fri 24-Feb-17 23:26:07

I had a teacher who said she could smell when girls were on their period. She would go after girls in class sniffing at them to embarrass them.

I've never been able to tell when someone's on their period by scent, but I agree with a PP that my sweat smells different when I'm on mine. I can also tell when I'm due from the change in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now