Talk

Advanced search

I can't get this out of my mind!!

(21 Posts)
coccolocco Thu 23-Feb-17 16:28:10

I literally looked out of my upstairs window and saw a tiny dog looking cold and scared. i am at home with my five month old baby who is sleeping and my four year old who was ready to get into the bath. The dog had a collar around its neck (don't know if this is relevant). So i raced downstairs and out the front door and started calling to the dog (i am not a dog owner and have never had a pet, to be quite frank i am actually really scared of animals but the urge to rescue this poor dog was very over powering). The dog who was half way down the road looked at me and for a brief moment stopped, so i encouraged it even more. Then in a look of terror it ran away. I couldn't run after it as i had the kids at home but now i can't stop thinking about this poor animal. AIBU to not be able to get this out of my head and also could i have done anything more? Please someone tell me that this dog will be found and rescued. I'm going out of my mind!

MiddleClassProblem Thu 23-Feb-17 16:30:27

You couldn't have done more. Hopefully someone has managed to get it and check its collar. If you have a local FB page maybe post your sighting on there just in case?

NavyandWhite Thu 23-Feb-17 16:31:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Snugglepalace Thu 23-Feb-17 16:32:20

Have you got a local Spotted on Facebook? You could put it on there it may have escaped a garden, is it windy where you live? A fence panel may have come down?!

CornflakeHomunculus Thu 23-Feb-17 16:38:22

As well as posting on local FB groups you could also have a look on DogLost (my link) to see if the dog is listed as missing on there.

Even if you had been able to go after the dog it's not always the best course of action anyway, particularly if the dog is skittish. Do post on any FB groups you can, a confirmed sighting of a missing dog can be hugely useful in getting them found.

(Any links appearing in this post other than those marked as my own have been inserted automatically by advertising software and may link to companies or products I would neither support nor recommend.)

coccolocco Thu 23-Feb-17 16:38:58

im not on Facebook, my OH has come back now, do you think i should knock on the neighbours door, my OH thinks it's their dog?

MiddleClassProblem Thu 23-Feb-17 16:39:53

Yes, if that's a possibility it can't hurt to knock

coccolocco Thu 23-Feb-17 16:41:43

i will go out now, its so windy here! will let you know what happens.

MiddleClassProblem Thu 23-Feb-17 16:43:02

Good luck. That's very good of you flowers

humblesims Thu 23-Feb-17 16:44:37

If you have any friends local that are on facebook then ask them to post on any local sites. There are usually quite active lost dog pages and they are usually a great help in reuniting lost pets with their owners.

LadyPW Thu 23-Feb-17 16:46:04

YABVU for now making me worry about the poor dog! - don't forget to update if its found and returned home (wherever home is)

IfeelFloopy Thu 23-Feb-17 16:47:38

The dog may have escaped/wondered out of a garden with a gate being blown open in these winds. Deffo knock to ask the neighbours. But try not to worry otherwise.

A few months back I was desperately trying to get hold of a small dog running back n forth across a busy main road. It ran into someone's garden and out the back and I was unable to do anything more. But dogs are found/rescued all the time. I posted on a local group on FB but had no response. If you can inform someone and describe the dog it may make all the difference for someone looking but under the circumstances you did all you could. Try not to worry, I think most dogs that get lost end up being found somehow!

WorraLiberty Thu 23-Feb-17 17:12:41

do you think i should knock on the neighbours door, my OH thinks it's their dog?

Well yes, why not?

WorraLiberty Thu 23-Feb-17 17:13:22

In this strong wind, it's probably got out of its garden due to a missing fence panel.

Frouby Thu 23-Feb-17 17:16:14

It's an awful situation to be in. I was the same last month. Little dog sat in ndn garden with a severe face injury. Home alone with a half dressed toddler. Luckily as I was putting a post on our estate fb page my ndn came home and we managed to catch the poor dog and get it to the vets.

Just ask your neighbours. And if you know anyone locally who has fb ask them to post a description of the dog. Hopefully it's made its way home or been found by now.

coccolocco Thu 23-Feb-17 17:31:29

Well i've come back!! With results! Firstly, may i say that some people are very nice, in the end i had a few neighbours coming out and looking for the dog and on the other hand i had a few people not answering their doors but blatantly looking through the windows...Yes i can see you i wanted to shout! Anyway (it turned out that it wasn't the neighbours dog) one lady told me that a man had picked the dog up and was going door to door asking if anyone was missing a dog! Yay! But god knows how long he was going to do that for!

coccolocco Thu 23-Feb-17 17:33:01

Actually, I've just thought, should i still post on Facebook because the dog hasn't actually been returned to its owner....Oh god! Now the panic starts all over again!

MiddleClassProblem Thu 23-Feb-17 17:36:05

Yes, still post. Even if it has been returned already and someone notifies you so it is best to try x

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Thu 23-Feb-17 17:39:59

I think if the man was kind enough to go door to door trying to find the owner, he will take other initiatives if that proves fruitless.
I can't imagine he'll just let the dog loose again.
It can't hurt to post on FB if it sets your mind at rest.
Try not to worry.

MrsTwix Thu 23-Feb-17 18:13:53

I'm sure he will look after the dog until the owner is found. If he didn't want to, he wouldn't have rescued it.

LadyPW Thu 23-Feb-17 18:14:32

Yay! (well yayish)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: