Talk

Advanced search

202g Steak for 3 People?

(63 Posts)
Davros Thu 23-Feb-17 14:53:48

DH is cooking beef stroganoff for three of us tonight and has come home with what looks to me like a minuscule steak. I was thinking big pot, hearty and tasty meal but it looks like it will be more like nouvelle cuisine. He thinks I'm just a greedy cah. As someone who more or less doesn't cook, am I misjudging his sweet little steak and it's "plenty" in his words or will I barely be able to wet my lips with this dinner?

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 23-Feb-17 14:56:17

YANBU you'll only get about three bites each

Yellowmono Thu 23-Feb-17 14:56:26

That may just about feed 2 but not generously. I'd say 100-150g per person really.

Gramgram Thu 23-Feb-17 14:57:44

He'll have to add a load of veg to that, hope you like mushrooms.

fourquenelles Thu 23-Feb-17 14:57:56

Is he intending to pad it out with plenty of mushrooms and little onions with a side of crusty bread? If so I would call 202g between 3 enough to give a taste of meat but not a hearty dollop. Apparently this is the way we should be eating red meat anyway so kudos to your OH. How old is the third person though? If it's a strapping teenager then that's nowhere near enough meat.

soundsystem Thu 23-Feb-17 14:58:24

YANBU

My DH once brought home 3 new potatoes, to feed two adults. (At the weekend PiL shared a chicken breast, so I know where he gets it from!). I feel your pain.

Artandco Thu 23-Feb-17 14:59:28

I think it's fine. A stroganoff will also have onions, mushrooms and rice usually so it's not just meat alone

SanitysSake Thu 23-Feb-17 15:00:05

That'd do 1.5 adults.

Bit stingy...

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 23-Feb-17 15:01:05

well, if he's doing stroganoff, it should be lots of very finely sliced tasty bits of fillet

but 200g isn't going to go far.

I did a pork stroganoff the other day to use up the long fillet I had in the freezer, so I reckon that would have been maybe 400g....I did also shove in loads of mushrooms, and it did three of us nicely. (large bottomless teen included.)

rubberducker Thu 23-Feb-17 15:04:25

I would expect approx 150g per person. Definitely stingey portions for 3 of you!

lubeybooby Thu 23-Feb-17 15:07:03

I do 250g at least per person unless it's something bulked out with other stuff (beans, lentils etc)

Danicc Thu 23-Feb-17 15:16:17

soundsystem that made me laugh out loud. 3 new potatoes!

pudding21 Thu 23-Feb-17 15:18:59

We go to a steak on a stone restaurant and have 700 g between two adults and two children. But we are pigs. 202g, no way enough to get your protein intake smile

Davros Thu 23-Feb-17 15:19:43

The third person is also a bottomless teen who doesn't like mushrooms so they have to be cooked separately! It is fillet steak so I think the price may have clouded his judgment but it was £10 between three people, not THAT much really.
I predict that DD will take one look and go for a fish finger or crisp sandwich (see other thread!)

nebulae Thu 23-Feb-17 15:22:05

I'll just plonk myself here and wait for someone to declare they could feed a family of four for a week on that. We've lost sight of correct portion sizes don't you know?

Westfacing Thu 23-Feb-17 15:23:22

It seems very stingy - I'd say at least 175g per person.

It's 'beef' strogonoff - if you're going to serve a meat dish it needs to contain a reasonable amount of meat.

By all means make a lovely vegetarian mushroom strogonoff but don't serve-up a piffling portion of beef!

HecateAntaia Thu 23-Feb-17 15:27:02

a portion of meat is about 80g apparently. Palm of your hand size. shock no wonder we're all getting fatter, I could put away half a cow grin

pad it out with other things, it'll taste great. the flavour of the meat will be lovely even if the pieces are small.

DJBaggySmalls Thu 23-Feb-17 15:27:32

200g is only 8 oz, thats not enough. 6 to 8oz is one portion. Stewing steak would have been better.

DJBaggySmalls Thu 23-Feb-17 15:29:43

Theres 25g of protein in 100g of steak. Each adult needs 60g of protein per day.

ealingwestmum Thu 23-Feb-17 15:32:26

grin thanks for making me laugh today. I could have written this post

PyongyangKipperbang Thu 23-Feb-17 15:32:59

The only steak I eat is fillet, so obviously dont have it often, but when I do I buy about £10 worth just for me. Ok so it is just a piece of meat cooked on its own and yours will have other stuff with it, but I cant see how that could be stretched to three. I think it would do two with plenty of sides but three adults, its not enough.

It does sound like he is looking at the price rather than the amount. On the upside, fillet steak doesnt tend to shrink so what you have now is what you will have on your plate, but it still doesnt add up to much.

JoJoSM2 Thu 23-Feb-17 15:34:49

I'd eat that size steak by myself.

Oblomov17 Thu 23-Feb-17 15:35:14

I couldn't live with someone so stingy. It would drive me nuts.

RedBugMug Thu 23-Feb-17 15:38:20

yabu
meat is only one part of the meal. the veg and sauce it what makes it delicious.

BarbaraofSeville Thu 23-Feb-17 15:38:36

It seems quite wasteful to put fillet steak in stroganof at that price, but I think that's the usual cut. I quite often use pork fillet as it is much much cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now