Talk

Advanced search

Whooping cough - not just a 1940s disease

(81 Posts)
margerybruce Thu 23-Feb-17 14:04:57

Can I just take this opportunity to ask everyone to go and get a booster for whooping cough?

I have just recovered from this shitty horrible disease and it's really knocked me for six. I had to have a month off work and I was ill for at least two months before that, trying to work through it before I knew that's what I had.

I have asthma so it was made worse by that.

vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/pertussis-whooping-cough

From the CDC - In the first year after getting vaccinated, whooping cough vaccines for adolescents and adults (called Tdap) protect about 7 out of 10 people who receive them. There is a decrease in effectiveness in each following year. About 3 or 4 out of 10 people are fully protected 4 years after getting Tdap.

GeillisTheWitch Thu 23-Feb-17 14:07:51

I know someone whose newborn caught whooping cough and was very ill, the baby was hospitalized for a few weeks and could have long term health problems. If she'd had the vaccine offered in pregnancy it could have been avoided.

pinkie1982 Thu 23-Feb-17 14:15:23

Yes - agree completely!
My cousin had it and passed it on to her child, alto to her own sister. It went back and forth between them for months until the Dr diagnosed and treated it. They were all so unwell and it kept coming back.

Penfold007 Thu 23-Feb-17 14:47:10

I had whopping cough as an adult a couple of years ago, its was awful and took ages to recover from. I didn't think boosters were available for adults in the UK? If they are I'd get re-vaccinated.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 23-Feb-17 14:48:44

My ds had it at 2 weeks old. He was in and out of hospital for ten months. Luckily no lasting affects. Strapping nearly 16 now!!

NerrSnerr Thu 23-Feb-17 14:48:44

I agree. I also urge all pregnant ladies to get vaccinated to protect their baby- its hugely dangerous for newborns.

Racmactac Thu 23-Feb-17 15:37:53

Does anyone know if you can get whooping cough twice?
I had it as a child but have been really poorly with horrible cough last few weeks

FishlessCake Thu 23-Feb-17 15:41:00

I had it when I was 6 weeks old and was seriously unwell.

TheFairyCaravan Thu 23-Feb-17 15:44:06

DS1 had it about 4 or 5 years ago. He was really quite poorly. I had no idea that the vaccine wore off.

Thankfully he's had no lasting effects.

SanitysSake Thu 23-Feb-17 15:44:31

Being preggers, I've just been offered this vaccine. I am very unsure about it. Would be interested to know of any other expectant mothers' views on this issue?

NerrSnerr Thu 23-Feb-17 15:50:44

Sanity I am pregnant and had the vaccine on Tuesday. For me it's a no brainer. Newborn babies are so vulnerable- they could die from whooping cough and even if they survive it is extremely serious and means a hospital stay. I know a few adults who have had whooping cough and weren't diagnosed for a few weeks so you just don't know if you'll expose your baby to someone who doesn't know they have it and put them at risk.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Whooping-cough/Pages/Introduction.aspx#complications

Lesley1980 Thu 23-Feb-17 15:54:14

My 4 year old caught whooping cough when she was 3 weeks old & it's a horrific disease. My baby would cough until she could no longer breathe. She needed resuscitated multiple times & just as she was starting to get better she caught a secondary infection.

I don't think people realise how bad it is or that it lasts for months.

scaevola Thu 23-Feb-17 15:55:00

Any particular reason why you want views only of expectant mothers?

The pregnancy booster was rolled out in 2012 after the deaths of 14 babies too young to receive immunisations.

The vaccine in late pregnancy stimulates the mother's immune response and her antibodies pass through the placenta and remain in circulation in the baby for long enough to give some protection to the newborn.

Whooping cough outbreaks typically have a 4-5 year cycle.

Using this vaccine in pregnancy has been widespread in UK and abroad for about 5 years now. There do not appear to be any particular problems with its use (ie nothing beyond the 'normal' side effects as listed in the pack information insert) and there has been no rise in adverse birth outcomes in that period.

BarbarianMum Thu 23-Feb-17 15:55:55

Dh and I had it last year. It was bloody, bloody awful and I was ill for ages, partly because the stupid Practise Nurse didn't recognise it (just told me I didn't have a chest infection and for my dh to call an ambulance if he was worried - I was regularly coughing so much I was vomiting and/or passing out).

I had no idea the vaccine didn't over you for life and would urge everyone over 30 to get a booster.

Ponocky Thu 23-Feb-17 15:56:12

SanitysSake I am also pregnant and had the vaccine recently.

When my nephew (who's now 8) was born he caught whooping cough at two weeks old and nearly died. They weren't offering the vaccine to pregnant ladies at the time and he caught it before he was scheduled to have the jab. Watching him struggle to breathe, seeing my sister falling to pieces because she was powerless to help him and nearly losing him were enough reasons for me to get vaccinated.

margerybruce Thu 23-Feb-17 15:56:58

I have been told that if you have had the disease you are immune for ten years afterwards.

I have been really ill and had a few nights when I really thought I was going to peg it - very very scary.

picklemepopcorn Thu 23-Feb-17 15:58:41

How do you know? We've had a horrible bug, days in bed. Coughing uncontrollably. But what makes hooping cough different? I've read adults don't get the 'whoop'.

aginghippy Thu 23-Feb-17 15:59:01

Racmactac The NHS Choices website linked to above says you're not immune to whooping cough if you've had it before, although it tends to be less severe the second time around. It also says to seek medical advice if you have have had a cough for more than three weeks.

Ponocky Thu 23-Feb-17 15:59:31

Btw OP, sorry you got such a horrible illness, glad you're now on the mend and thank you for starting this thread and raising awareness flowers

margerybruce Thu 23-Feb-17 15:59:54

scaevola - are you asking me why I only want the views of expectant mothers? My original post was for everyone

sycamore54321 Thu 23-Feb-17 16:02:09

I had the booster vaccine in both pregnancies. Where I gave birth, they also offer the vaccine for free to my husband and any other caregivers like grandparents etc - every single other bit of treatment is costed and charged to the penny; that's how seriously they take newborn protection from whooping cough. Discuss with your doctor but there are very very good reasons for having the vaccine in pregnancy.

Rugbyplayersarehot Thu 23-Feb-17 16:03:03

My dd caught it at 3 weeks. She was very ill. It's a very scary disease and I have a visceral hate of the pathetic parent who didn't get their child inoculated and infected her.

Good thread op.

sleepy16 Thu 23-Feb-17 16:03:53

I had the whopping cough vaccine with my last two baby's, didn't give me any problems other then a sore arm.
And I would rather that then my baby getting a disease that could of been prevented.

margerybruce Thu 23-Feb-17 16:04:22

I had the whoop - but only after I had the cough for ten weeks. It's called the hundred days cough. And that is accurate!

The whoop comes when your throat closes and blocks up with disgusting mucus and then you can't breathe so the desperate attempt to draw in air makes the whoop sound.

Rugbyplayersarehot Thu 23-Feb-17 16:05:08

pickle we have had a terrible bug too and still coughing but it's a productive cough and no vomiting. Tmi.

If you are worried see your GP. Agree it's tricky as horrible bugs around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now