Talk

Advanced search

My car has been broken into. Why?

(17 Posts)
Twopeapods Thu 23-Feb-17 11:26:31

I'm sorry this is not an AIBU but I'm not sure where to post.

My husband noticed the contents of the glovebox had been emptied yesterday, but this morning I noticed the sensors have been ripped out.
Nothing was taken. Why? What should I do now? Will someone come back to steal it? I've never had anything happen since I started driving 10 years ago.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Thu 23-Feb-17 11:27:34

Have you informed the Police about the theft?

pipsqueak25 Thu 23-Feb-17 11:28:28

utter bastards, they probably ripped the sensors out for the sheer hell of it, it's likely they would have nicked the car if they wanted it.

BaconMaker Thu 23-Feb-17 11:28:45

People sometimes leave valuables in their car (sat nav, wallet, phone or whatever in the glove box) could they not have been looking for something like that?

steff13 Thu 23-Feb-17 11:29:51

Call the police and make a report. This happened to me, the police officer said it was probably sometime looking for cash to buy drugs. It's a gross feeling, that some stranger has rifled through your things. Sorry. sad

megletthesecond Thu 23-Feb-17 11:30:15

Sensors stolen for parts maybe.

Rugbyplayersarehot Thu 23-Feb-17 11:30:20

So annoying isn't it. Report it to the police and maybe go to Halfords for some advice re sensors and security. They are very helpful.

Don't take it personally either or get upset. Were their keys in your glove box? Or identifying things? Just worth considering

peggyundercrackers Thu 23-Feb-17 11:30:25

what sensors have been ripped out?

Rugbyplayersarehot Thu 23-Feb-17 11:31:29

My window was smashed for the small change on the seat. Pathetic twats

pipsqueak25 Thu 23-Feb-17 11:31:54

meant to sat yanbu to post here, you need support from mners because although it's 'only a car' it is still your property and it has been violated by strangers, that in itself is upsetting and worrying, flowers
do report it to the police though to get it logged as these bastards are probably doing the rounds and more reports mean more chance of getting caught.

Pouncival Thu 23-Feb-17 11:32:37

my spare tyre was stolen from under the car - twice! fuckers

TisConfusion Thu 23-Feb-17 11:33:38

This happened to us a few days after Christmas, it felt horrible.
It also happened to us when we lived in a different area a few years ago, all they took was some change we had in there.
I'm guessing the reasons are that theyre looking for money or valuable items. Its horrible, sorry sad

gamerchick Thu 23-Feb-17 11:35:47

Yeah you need to report it in case there is a pattern and police will alert the surrounding neighbourhood to be extra vigilant.

Twopeapods Thu 23-Feb-17 11:48:12

I've phoned the police so they are going to come and see within the next couple of days.
We left nothing of value in the car. Phone charger is the most valuable thing!

Someone bumped into our door on Monday so it going in to be fixed with that. Just no luck this week.

Thanks everyone. I was just a bit worried in case it was possible they want to come back and steal it with the sensors missing or something. Just so annoying! And yes it's the thought that someone was going through our stuff. I'm hoping we didn't have letters etc in there but I'm not sure.

Secretsquirrel252 Thu 23-Feb-17 11:58:01

We had a car broken into once (we think) because you could see little marks on the windscreen of the suction cup where the sat nav had been attached. There was nothing in the car for them to steal. We had to have a new passenger door fitted. After that I kept glasses cleaning wipes in the glove box.

londonrach Thu 23-Feb-17 12:44:15

A friend of mine accidently left her car unlocked one night. That night every single car in her road had a window broken but hers. someone had opened her door realised nothing in it and closed the door again so no damage. She didnt know if she should leave her car unlocked or lock it as normal. Awful, its the mess and cost of sorting it. Report it to police op

Twopeapods Thu 23-Feb-17 14:12:02

The cost is worrying me as today I've just had an unexpected £600 bill for roofing repairs at my shop property which is rented and I don't have it.
I've never claimed on insurance before so I'm scared my premium will go up stupidly. Especially if they think I've left it unlocked. So annoying!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now