Talk

Advanced search

DH following me to bed.

(77 Posts)
acornsandnuts Wed 22-Feb-17 22:30:18

I probably am BU but it just irritates me daily. I can be really tired and at 9.30 will say I'm off to bed, DH "yep me too". Or it can be 11.30 and he will sit until I say I'm going to bed then say "yep me too". Same goes for 10, 11 or what ever o'clock it is.

Why can't he own his own bed time.

I would love 20 mins in bed alone or half an hour downstairs alone but it never fecking happens because he's THERE!

Moanyoldcow Wed 22-Feb-17 22:31:29

Er... have you told him you want some time alone?

Whisky2014 Wed 22-Feb-17 22:31:44

Oh dear i did this to my partner tonight! Although usually its me that goes to bed earlier, tonight he said he was off and i said i was coming too. Just cause i didnt want to be alone sad

Graceflorrick Wed 22-Feb-17 22:31:47

My DH and I go to bed at the same time, we'll wait until the other one is ready. Surely it isn't a bad thing grin

OnHold Wed 22-Feb-17 22:32:16

Don't tell him. Just disappear.

NapQueen Wed 22-Feb-17 22:32:19

Just say "right im off for a bath" and go to bed instead?

isupposeitsverynice Wed 22-Feb-17 22:33:58

Sorry OP I did laugh when I read your post. Just tell him. Or have a bath instead, baths are lovely alone time with the added bonus of a locked door grin

PatriciaHolm Wed 22-Feb-17 22:34:28

Does he actually know this, or are you expecting him to mind read?

Whisky2014 Wed 22-Feb-17 22:34:31

Don't tell him. Just disappear that's what i usually do but my partner said he hates it when i dont say goodnight! Suppose he doesnt care if i go on my own just that he wants me to be polite

Longdistance Wed 22-Feb-17 22:35:03

I second don't tell him and just disappear in a cloud of smoke...

Champagneformyrealfriends Wed 22-Feb-17 22:35:52

My DH does this grin it is very annoying I must admit, and our house is too small for me to go into another room for a bit of quiet time.

Catbot Wed 22-Feb-17 22:37:06

Mine does this too. Even if he says he's going to carry on watching something he's up within five minutes. Manchild.

acornsandnuts Wed 22-Feb-17 22:39:31

I have disappeared on occasion and he will come up bewildered as to where I've gone.

I think what is getting to me is that it's a habit that he just can't regulate his own sleep. Just fecking go to bed when YOU'RE tired.

I've just mentioned to him it irks me and he's gone off in a huff with a duvet.

SabineUndine Wed 22-Feb-17 22:41:30

Hide under the bed and grab his ankles. I would

DJKKSlider Wed 22-Feb-17 22:41:43

My gf has to go to bed early a lot of nights so I end up watcing TV till silly o'clock all on my own.
I miss going to bed with her when she's not there. sad

BuggersMuddle Wed 22-Feb-17 22:42:09

Well I see your point if it's all the time, but then you get other threads where people complain that partners choose to keep very different sleep schedules, make a racket and want sex at times that don't work for the other. So, YANBU, but I would prefer (where practicable, obviously) similar sleeping patterns rather than radically different ones.

Waterlemon Wed 22-Feb-17 22:43:51

Is it a "man" thing?

I sort of have the reverse problem! DH goes up to bed first, then gets the hump because I dont follow him!

DizzyFizzyLizzy Wed 22-Feb-17 22:44:58

Don't you people actually like your husbands? hmm I understand that's frowned upon on MN sometimes but I can't find it in me to be irritated because my husband decides to come to bed with me.

In fact, more irritating is when he comes up later and wakes me up.

Lazyafternoon Wed 22-Feb-17 22:45:21

My DH doesn't get subtle hints. So I just tell him. I guess, poor bloke, half the time im hoping he'll come too for an 'early night' other half I actually do want an early night or to watch call the midwife in peace or look at MN/ FB etc. for a bit without being questioned what I'm giggling at!
So at 9pm if I do actually want a but of peace might say 'right I'm off upstairs to watch crap TV for an hour in my PJs with my Decaf tea, might call my sister too. See you later' then give him a quick kiss and off I go. Chanel changes to some sort of football or murder program as I walk out the door. All happy!

Mrsglitterfairy Wed 22-Feb-17 22:46:59

Me & DH go to bed together pretty much every night. If one of us is ready to go up, the other usually goes too and watches tv in bed or whatever. I would hate to go to bed alone most nights

acornsandnuts Wed 22-Feb-17 22:48:05

But it's every night.

I think to have a nice sleeping pattern with your partner is lovely but on occasion if something is gripping you on tv or you are especially tired surely you just make an adult decision and amend your bedtime. Looking t the other adult in the room for this is just bloody silly.

Hide under the bed and grab his ankles. I would proper laughed at this. I'm planning my Saturday night around this.

MeNeedSleep Wed 22-Feb-17 22:48:54

Dh & I go to bed at same time, we're both guilty of following the other.

I do often go amd sit in the bedroom for some peace though, leaving him & dc in the lounge bit he comes to find me and asks why I'm not in the lounge with rest of family! Like I need to spend time with them all the time! Really annoys me as he doesn't get why I want alone time!

Keeptrudging Wed 22-Feb-17 22:49:07

DH always goes to bed first, I faff about/read Mumsnet for 10-15 mins then go up. I've got to be last to bed (unless I'm ill), I like to know the door's locked/lights are off.

newbie789 Wed 22-Feb-17 22:49:40

I had to check I didn't write this!!!
Dh does the same, I say I'm going to bed, he gets to the bathroom before me and then gets in bed before me, so annoying

MeNeedSleep Wed 22-Feb-17 22:51:55

Usually I want the alone time to mess about on internet without constantly being nagged for my phone from dd and being constantly asked what I'm doing by dh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now