Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be really really perturbed by the bridesmaid heart disease advert

(45 Posts)
witchofzog Wed 22-Feb-17 21:44:03

I know this has been posted before but I hadn't seen it. I have a hopefully mild heart condition myself so I don't know if this is why, but it has made me feel like just bloody awful. Really sad and a bit tearful.

I know they want to raise awareness but this one got me more than any advert ever has. I dont even know why I am posting really but does anyone feel the same about this one?

Honeybee79 Wed 22-Feb-17 21:45:25

Yanbu. It gets me too.

ExplodingCarrots Wed 22-Feb-17 21:47:47

Yanbu. I'm not easily shocked but this took me back.

Rockandrollwithit Wed 22-Feb-17 21:51:44

My sister had a series of heart attacks age 31 - at the time her two sons were 2 and 3 months old. She survived after surgery in which she was given a 50% chance to live.

The advert upsets me but it's so important.

Paperdolly Wed 22-Feb-17 21:51:52

Me and my OH too. Felt a little over the top for our taste and we work with people with 'conditions'.

ReggieJones Wed 22-Feb-17 21:54:05

Ditto, found this really shocking and could see how it could be very upsetting for people who'd had personal experience of this. I've had a family member who has needed treatment for a heart condition and although the treatment was successful I've seen how emotionally draining it can be for someone to go through this. Unfortunately although this advert has good intentions it also seems quite insensitive. Its really made me question how charities raise awareness.

witchofzog Wed 22-Feb-17 21:55:07

How is your sister now Rock? How frightening for you all sad

Rockandrollwithit Wed 22-Feb-17 21:59:45

Paperdolly, I don't think it's over the top. Many young women don't know the symptoms of a heart attack and therefore are at risk from delayed treatment. Raising awareness is really important.

Witchofzog, she's doing really well now. It's been about a year and her heart function was officially classified as normal for the first time recently.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 22-Feb-17 21:59:57

I agree. I don't like it.

I am really not well at all and my DSis is getting married in the summer.

sonyaya Wed 22-Feb-17 22:02:10

Saw it earlier and was really upset. Close to home because my sister is unwell and awaiting surgery and is my maid of honour in May.

Needless to say the wedding pales in comparison with my sister's health, it was just very close to home.

flowers to everyone with loved ones affected

witchofzog Wed 22-Feb-17 22:05:48

That's brilliant news Rock ☺ Had she had any prior symptoms?

witchofzog Wed 22-Feb-17 22:07:46

And flowers to everyone else who is personally affected

MoonlightMojitos Wed 22-Feb-17 22:12:26

I find them all very upsetting. There's one on the radio that gets me bad enough without seeing it visually too. My dad died suddenly of heart disease a few years ago so it really hits home, he literally died on the spot like that with no warning. I guess they have to raise awareness some way or another though and it certainly gets the message across.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Wed 22-Feb-17 22:17:30

I hate it. My dad died suddenly of a heart attack in public. He'd had a history of heart disease in the previous few years that had calmed down then flared up again shortly before. It was still a shock.

It's not really raising awareness like the stoke campaigns do with symptoms. It's a mawkish setting. Somewhere more credible like the supermarket would irritate me less.

tethersend Wed 22-Feb-17 22:19:58

I agree, it's upsetting- but what I find difficult is that it doesn't give any symptoms or ways in which you can check your heart. It provokes a kind of impotent anxiety which donating to the charity doesn't solve.

Mulberry72 Wed 22-Feb-17 22:21:55

I saw it earlier today, it made me cry.

ReggieJones Wed 22-Feb-17 22:25:41

Exactly Tethersend it doesn't provide any advice on what to do if you think you may have a condition, how to spot one or proactive actions you can do to prevent a heart condition developing. I find it difficult to see what it is trying to achieve.

ReggieJones Wed 22-Feb-17 22:27:47

And when the bridesmaid says 'I'm sorry I ruined your big day' it implies somehow that its her fault, which is upsetting and unnecessary.

Northernlurker Wed 22-Feb-17 22:31:54

I really don't like it. As the parent of a child with a heart defect, it just plays on my worst fears. I think it's just done deliberately to shock and that's not acceptable.

InTheRedTent Wed 22-Feb-17 22:32:20

Agreed Reggie, that bit really annoys me and takes away from an important message!

DeadZed Wed 22-Feb-17 22:35:44

I saw the ad today for the first time. I thought it was just mawkish and upsetting without giving any helpful information. I also had dd, 8, sat next to me and it really frightened her. I was surprised when I saw it was made by the British heart foundation as I thought they would be more responsible.

Floralnomad Wed 22-Feb-17 22:38:31

My dad died very suddenly at 50 with no warning that he had heart disease , I think the advert is hard hitting and i think some of the other 'disease ' charities probably feel they have to use this kind of shock factor advert to be seen amongst the thousands of adverts for cancer charities and cancer research .

badabeedabom Wed 22-Feb-17 22:39:02

I looked it up having read this and you're quite right. It's a stupid ad which does nothing to raise awareness. It implies that only research (ie donations) can help. This is of course completely untrue and greater awareness of heart attack and heart disease signs and symptoms in women could actually save some viewers' lives. This advert shocks but nothing else.

Maplessglobe Wed 22-Feb-17 22:40:57

I agree; I think it has the tone of a 'don't drink and drive,' advert. Only this time it appears to be 'don't be the sufferer of a silent, lethal ?genetic heart condition.'

It's shocking but with no real positive outcome, such as 'donate and we can plan population screening for condition x' or 'these are the symptoms not to ignore.'

flowers for all those who've been personally affected by these kinds of issues

Chickennuggetfeeder Wed 22-Feb-17 22:41:27

The radio one gets me too my dad dropped dead i front of me from a blood clot mid conversation and it still scares the hell out of me to this day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now