Talk

Advanced search

To Be A Bit Hurt By This?

(37 Posts)
zukiecat Wed 22-Feb-17 19:11:02

I should start by saying I don't make a fuss about my birthday and don't expect presents or cards, but I was 50 very recently and no-one even wished me a Happy Birthday at work, but hey ho

However it is a colleague's Birthday today ( not a special one) and I've come in today and there's cards, presents, cakes and the staff canteen has been decorated for her

AIBU in being a bit hurt or am I just being daft?

dontbesillyhenry Wed 22-Feb-17 19:12:43

No you are not that's hurtful and mean

wishparry Wed 22-Feb-17 19:13:46

YANBU.
but is there any chance that the other colleague talked a lot about her birthday so everybody knew?

kizzle Wed 22-Feb-17 19:13:46

Awww that's not fair at all.
Hope you had a lovely birthday anyway!
Unfortunately some work places are very clicky clicky.

HandsomeBoys Wed 22-Feb-17 19:13:58

Happy Belated Birthday πŸΎπŸŽ‰πŸŽ‚

Did they know it was a big Birthday for you?

Aeroflotgirl Wed 22-Feb-17 19:14:25

Yes, I would be extremely hurt. Is the colleague whose birthday it was, high maintanence about their birthday. Everyone knows 2 months before, she keep talking about it etc

perpetuallybewildered Wed 22-Feb-17 19:14:43

That's shocking! Do it for all or for none. Tossers!!

NewnessMoo Wed 22-Feb-17 19:14:58

YADNBU that is plain rude! flowers cake wine

MistyMinge Wed 22-Feb-17 19:15:09

YANBU I'd be hurt too. That's very thoughtless of them.

zukiecat Wed 22-Feb-17 19:15:40

That is possible that she talked a lot more about her birthday while I didn't, but even the ones that knew didn't say anything

It is very clicky clicky here though

zukiecat Wed 22-Feb-17 19:16:25

Thanks for the Belated Wishes!

flowersflowers

atheistmantis Wed 22-Feb-17 19:16:36

I think we work at the same place.

zukiecat Wed 22-Feb-17 19:18:16

Possible atheist

There a probably a few places like this though

ChasedByBees Wed 22-Feb-17 19:18:26

Did you not mention it? I wouldn't have been able to resist. Hope you had a happy birthday!

zukiecat Wed 22-Feb-17 19:19:33

Got to go back now

Tea break is over!

Juveniledelinquent Wed 22-Feb-17 19:20:43

YANBU, Happy Birthday flowers flowers flowers cake cake cake wine wine wine

atheistmantis Wed 22-Feb-17 19:20:58

zukie I meant that my work place was just like yours.

Mari50 Wed 22-Feb-17 19:26:29

My workplace is like this, some people get collections every time they break wind, other people could have their 50th birthday, have a baby, get married and lose both their parents on the same day and no fucker would bother to comment or do a collection. It's bullshit.

WotsitWig Wed 22-Feb-17 19:40:21

Happy Belated Birthday cake

My workplace is like this, too. Some colleagues get fawned over and others are forgotten or not acknowledged.

eddielizzard Wed 22-Feb-17 19:45:42

that is so shit. happy birthday! cake brew

whenever things like this happen to me i make a point of making sure that the same thing doesn't happen to the next couple of people. eg. if you realise someone's about to be looked over, make sure they aren't. even though it didn't happen for you, you can make sure it happens for someone else and that's really positive.

AYankinSpanx Wed 22-Feb-17 19:46:05

OP, did your colleagues actually know it was your Birthday?

LittleMum91 Wed 22-Feb-17 19:48:05

That's awful sad I hate this kind of thing. Happy belated birthday!! flowers I hope you had a wonderful day!

StrangeLookingParasite Wed 22-Feb-17 21:39:29

I think that's crap, too. Happy birthday!

zukiecat Wed 22-Feb-17 22:14:57

Just in from work

There were four of us in tonight (local shop) and when I had my tea break at 7pm the table was covered in cakes

When I went to collect my things at 10pm they were nearly all gone, these three women are very friendly together and obviously had their teabreaks all together

So I never even got offered a bit of any of the cakes, I know I'm an adult and shouldn't let things like this bother me, but I also have mental health issues, and massive self esteem and confidence issues, and this has left me feeling like I'm nothing, not even worth a piece of cake

Do I need to just get a grip?

zukiecat Wed 22-Feb-17 22:15:48

But Thankyou everyone for the lovely birthday wishes

Much appreciated flowersflowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now