Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to respond to a parking note?

(16 Posts)
TheLaughingGnome Wed 22-Feb-17 17:38:44

Ok - so I know I wasn't being unreasonabke parking my car this morning. Live in London, few spaces. I parked at the end of a residents bay but had to park in an odd spot about 4 feet from the end because there was a work van overlapping the end - so they were partly in the bay and partly on a yellow line. Presumably they weren't there long because now my car is left with the gap at the end of the bay. Obviously if that had been clear I'd have parked at the end, but it wasn't and I didn't.

So just walked past my car on the way to pick up my daughter from school and it has a note on it. I'll go and get it in a bit to take a photo but the gist is "please show more consideration next time. Absolutely pathetic parking"

I want to write in big neon letters "absolutely pathetic anonymous note. Please make sure you know all the circumstances next time."

But what then? Where would I put the note? I thought about sticking it on the lamppost next to my car.

It's residents parking by the way so must have been one of my lonely neighbours.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 22-Feb-17 17:47:24

I see the note writer's points- I hate seeing people leaving wasted space in undivided bays like you did (although you had no choice this morning). I passed one yesterday and because of the 3 foot gap at either end plus the excessive spacing between cars, there were only 6 cars in a bay that could have taken 8.
How close to home did you park? Could you not have popped out sometime between thus morning and school pick up time, and moved it to the end of the bay?

icanteven Wed 22-Feb-17 18:37:08

Don't get into it.

I remember a few years ago a neighbour took to locking the bikes outside her house in such a way that they obstructed the pavement, which was a pain in the arse with the pram etc. Somebody left a note on the bikes pointing this out and asking her to lock her bikes more considerately.

The next day there was a LENGTHY and LAMINATED note in reply saying that the original note-writer had no idea what EXTENUATING circumstances there might have been, and for all he/she (note-writer/general annoyed public) might know she (bike-owner) could be disabled etc etc etc (no, I didn't get that logic either). It was hysterical.

Be the better person, and ignore.

TitsCrossed Wed 22-Feb-17 18:42:26

Best to ignore, but please keep MN posted if you see any more notes.

barinatxe Wed 22-Feb-17 18:48:47

I'd leave it. The writer acted on the evidence they had and assumed the person who parked there was either an idiot or deliberately being a cunt. You could leave a response on the lamp-post or something but what would it gain you? They know who you are - or at least which car is yours - so raising the stakes might irritate them further and provoke them into a more unpleasant reaction.

Like I say, it's probably best to leave it but if you feel you must respond, I think you should write an open letter to everyone in the few streets around you explaining what happened, why you were parked like that, and that you are disappointed in the coward who was quick to judge you but too feeble to leave their name so that you had the opportunity to respond. Print off a few dozen / hundred copies and post them through the letter boxes of everyone in the vicinity. Maybe end it with a veiled threat such as "Let he who is without sin...".

Ethylred Wed 22-Feb-17 18:52:41

Wrong forum. Try www.parkedlikeacunt.com

Mehfruittea Wed 22-Feb-17 18:55:26

I've had a similar note left in a very very large shopping centre car park. 5,000 + spaces with more opened up at Christmas. Huge. I parked over 2 bays, so I had space either side of my car. Furtherst away from the entrance and out of the way, at 10am.

Got back at 2pm after cinema and lunch, car park was full and closed, no spaces. Ahem. Oops. I did it because I needed space both sides. I'm a wheelchair user and I had DS in a baby carrier seat. I was getting blocked in when going out, not able to squeeze down the side between cars as the gap wasn't big enough for either of us, let alone both. I didn't ever do it again but felt justified at the time.

Isitjustmeorisiteveryoneelse Wed 22-Feb-17 19:11:12

This kind of situation has happened to me so many times where others have parked like idiots. I've parked in the space left available and thought, if they've gone soon, I'll look like the parking twat. And the reason I think about it is precisely because I am a considerate parker. Irritating that some, unthinking, 'neighbour' has commented but think you're just going to have to ignore this one for your own sanity. And yes, I know that is not the point of a MN parking thread. And yes, I do LOVE a MN parking thread. Nevermind. hopes neighbour identifies themselves very soon so this can continue

Sidge Wed 22-Feb-17 19:11:57

I'm surprised you didn't get a ticket mehfruittea - most car parks have signs that say "park within marked bays" and list the penalty charges for contravening the rules. Don't you have a blue badge?

OP I'd just ignore it. Whilst its understandable that you parked like you did once the offending vehicle has gone it just looks like you parked like a twat!!

TheLaughingGnome Wed 22-Feb-17 19:14:13

I really wish I'd name changed to parkedlikeacunt haha

Funnily enough as I was walking towards the car I thought "oh the van's gone, I'll move the car" then I saw the note! I suppose I could have spent the day walking to the end of the road to see if the work van was gone and I could have left an anonymous note on the van if I felt like it, but frankly I have bigger things on my plate at the moment.

I am going to ignore it! I think it's quite funny now.

Quite honestly people here park on corners, on yellow lines and across drives. I really don't think I did anything all that wrong even if it was a little but inconsiderate. If they'd left their details on the note I'd have knocked and apologised but as it is they can do one!

LucklessMonster Wed 22-Feb-17 19:15:30

ARGH you brought back ragey memories. I had almost exactly the same thing in an old flat. Work van parked badly, I had to park equally badly to get my car in, van leaves, I get a snotty note saying "Please show more consideration to your neighbours."

It was infuriating not to be able to reply. Cowards.

TheLaughingGnome Wed 22-Feb-17 19:16:03

Sidge - in some parking near here they have the marked bay thing which I think is a lot better and I wouldn't have parked across two marked bays, but this is just a block for 6 or so cars (or 5 if you get a dick like me parking there I suppose!)

TheLaughingGnome Wed 22-Feb-17 19:18:59

Sorry lucklessmonster for bringing back rage! That's how I felt when I read the note! So unfair I couldn't explain, rage!

LucklessMonster Wed 22-Feb-17 19:26:32

It's like group therapy TheLaughingGnome :D

khajiit13 Wed 22-Feb-17 19:28:12

Yeah just don't get into it. I have a tiny car so when I park next to a massive car, it leaves, and an equally small car parks in its place it looks like we've both parked badly if in a street, or if I'm in a bay it looks like I can't park at all. I just have to shrug it off. Obviously they're a bit dim if they hadn't considered the end of the bay was blocked. Could have been a bike parked there for all they know.

TheLaughingGnome Thu 23-Feb-17 17:38:27

When I moved my car yesterday I ended up parking nearer my house and left the whole bay empty. Today on my way back from school I noticed someone has parked their fiat 500 almost exactly the same way I had. They don't have a note yet though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now