Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To expect a naice cafe to have a loo?

(70 Posts)
SeashellHoarder Wed 22-Feb-17 17:36:20

My judgement is skewed as this made me a bit cross.

Long story:

I've had a tough few weeks so I decided to go out with the baby for a fancy hot chocolate at a naice cafe. Sans buggy as parked round the corner.

Ordered said fancy hot choc and baby has a poonami. So I ask for baby change and they don't have one. I ask if there's a loo to change her in. The answer is no. Apparently it's her private home.

She said: "Would you let a stranger change their baby in your loo?"

My answer is"yes!" Btw.

She offered to let me change baby on the stairs.

There was no sign before I went in that it was a private home. Lots of signage out front, menus, sandwich board etc.

I had to leave with baby to sort it out and leave the expensive hot choc!

Baby has just had 8 week jabs so I have to wash hands thoughly after each change. I had to change baby on lap in car and drive to nearest public loos.

Wibu to expect a loo?

Heirhelp Wed 22-Feb-17 17:37:51

I am sure if the are legally required to have loo if they have seating and sell food. Some how Greggs moments don't have to.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 22-Feb-17 17:37:56

I always thought you had to have a loo if you were a cafe, but maybe not?

WanderingTrolley1 Wed 22-Feb-17 17:39:17

Ywnbu.

All food establishments should have conveniences, imo.

WatchingFromTheWings Wed 22-Feb-17 17:39:41

I would expect a cafe to have a loo, however places with less than a certain number of seats don't have to have toilets/hand wash facilities.

bumsexatthebingo Wed 22-Feb-17 17:40:04

I thought if somewhere served food they had to have a loo?
I might not want all and sundry using my family toilet. That is one of the (many) reasons I haven't opened a cafe in my house.
YANBU op.

Fruitcocktail6 Wed 22-Feb-17 17:40:31

I would expect all cafes to have a loo, not just nice ones. I feel you serve drinks you should have a loo!

expatinscotland Wed 22-Feb-17 17:41:43

No, I wouldn't, tbh.

knackeredinyorkshire Wed 22-Feb-17 17:43:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WatchingFromTheWings Wed 22-Feb-17 17:43:21

Looks like I was wrong!

According to section 20 of the 1976 Local Government MIscellaneous Provisions Act, is that toilets should be provided if food and drink is being sold for consumption on the premises.

knackeredinyorkshire Wed 22-Feb-17 17:44:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FrancisCrawford Wed 22-Feb-17 17:45:07

I also thought cafes had to have loos.

GabsAlot Wed 22-Feb-17 17:49:51

thought it was a law but then again greggs dont have one an have some tables now

Batteriesallgone Wed 22-Feb-17 17:50:15

A cafe should have loos. A naice cafe should have a naice loo. She sounds odd tbh, best to avoid.

nancy75 Wed 22-Feb-17 17:52:39

It's her house? Can you just sell hot drinks in your house? I can't imagine this place at all, does it look like a house confused

Akire Wed 22-Feb-17 17:55:47

Same problem being a wheelchair user if there is a toilet in a small non chain shop it isn't usually accessible.

GeillisTheWitch Wed 22-Feb-17 18:04:01

I had the same problem recently, a local sweet/ice cream shop that has a few tables and chairs wouldn't let DD use their toilet after we had bought milkshakes to sit in and drink. I thought the rule was that if sitting in facilities are provided then toilets have to be too. I wasn't impressed at their refusal, won't be spending my money there again.

NeepNeepNeep Wed 22-Feb-17 18:07:43

I would expect a refund.

DeadGood Wed 22-Feb-17 18:13:29

"Cheeky cow calling you a 'stranger' when you're her paying customer!"

This

RebootYourEngine Wed 22-Feb-17 18:21:12

So someone opens up their home to paying customers and then calls it a cafe. Fuck that, i would report to trading standards.

SeashellHoarder Wed 22-Feb-17 18:27:45

Yes bumsex that's what I think.

Akire there's no way you'd have got a wheelchair up the outside step and between the tables stuffed in there. I thought all businesses had to make reasonable adjustments to wheelchair users - not this place.

Nancy it looks like a cafe, large shop window, big sign above the door, stickers advertising trip advisor and Facebook listings outside. It looks like a naice cafe, serves food etc. Would love to post a photo so you can judge it!

Heir I checked Cornwall county council website, and no. It's only of your licensed or a new build.

I wish she'd had a sign outside saying no loo - I would have saved my £2.75.

SeashellHoarder Wed 22-Feb-17 18:28:18

*you're.

Happyandhungry Wed 22-Feb-17 18:29:56

Whats naice hmm

SeashellHoarder Wed 22-Feb-17 18:30:13

knackered that's what I felt, but you know, new baby, crazy hormones ect I didn't challenge it just had a little cry in the car

RebootYourEngine Wed 22-Feb-17 18:30:37

Please post a photo so that i can avoid this place because i have a very weak bladder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now