Talk

Advanced search

To leave baby in car while I drop toddler into daycare?

(43 Posts)
Liskee Wed 22-Feb-17 13:43:38

First time I'll be doing the drop off on my own and not sure how to manage the logistics! Is it illegal to leave the baby locked in the car in his car seat for the few minutes it takes to hand over toddler in daycare? Or do I need to bring him in with me while I do the handover? I remember being left in the car loadsas a child but times have changed and all that!

Nowthereistwo Wed 22-Feb-17 13:45:12

I always left mine in the car in the nursery carpark - just didn't hang around at handovers.

BobbieDog Wed 22-Feb-17 13:47:44

At dds nursery nobody leaves the baby in the car.

Most parents take the car seat out and leave it at the office where the manager is as you walk in the door or they take the baby out the car seat from the car and carry them in.

My dd nursery are abit up their own arse if im honest and would pull anyone up if they left a child in the car in their car park.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Wed 22-Feb-17 13:50:23

No, I wouldn't.

savagehk Wed 22-Feb-17 13:52:01

As I've posted on another thread on this topic, I wouldn't. I know of a horrible story where the car caught fire and the child died. I know it's highly unlikely but I'd never forgive myself that.

MrsBobDylan Wed 22-Feb-17 13:57:22

I would just unclip the baby and go in together. It's too stressful otherwise and not worth the risk.

Outbackshack Wed 22-Feb-17 13:58:19

I always put baby in pushchair or in cat seay then take older child with me. Never leave in car. No real risks where we are but as a "just in case". Also I would feel terrible if came back to car and baby was screaming

ScarlettFreestone Wed 22-Feb-17 13:58:46

I wouldn't ever do this personally but previous threads have shown that MN is split on this.

I wouldn't do it for two reasons:

I've seen a parked car burst into flames.

I've had a car severely damaged because some idiot crashed into me while it was parked - if a child had been inside they would have been hurt.

My friend's car was stolen with her baby inside.

ScarlettFreestone Wed 22-Feb-17 13:59:28

Actually ^^ that's three!

girlelephant Wed 22-Feb-17 14:02:25

There's been a few of these threads of late in the same scenario of a nursery drop off.

Main reasons for not doing it explained by the PPs here so I personally wouldn't take the risk & would take the baby in with me in their car seat.

Also as much as you think the drop off will be quick staff may want to speak to you or other parents so there may be unexpected delays which increase the chance of one of the above happening

Liskee Wed 22-Feb-17 14:02:54

ScarlettFreestone these reasons (all 3!) have made me decide I'll take the baby with me for the 5 mins. Better safe than sorry eh!!?

WaitrosePigeon Wed 22-Feb-17 14:06:04

I've seen a parked car burst into flames.

Didn't take long for the spontaneous combustion grin

I'd leave baby in the car, OP. Congratulations on your new baby smile

ClemDanfango Wed 22-Feb-17 14:08:10

I'm glad you've decided to take the baby in.
I once reported a baby in a car on a school drop off, it was screaming and screaming inside the car. It was so distressed and completely helpless, I went back in to the school and reported it to the staff. I felt so awful for the poor little thing! So much can happen in 5 mins that's out of your control.

gillybeanz Wed 22-Feb-17 14:11:39

I would never leave a baby in the car at all, and never did, but that's just me.
I know the risk of anything happening is low, but I'd never forgive myself as it would only be done out of not having to faff around taking baby out.

Strokethefurrywall Wed 22-Feb-17 14:14:54

Yep, I would and did.

bonbonours Wed 22-Feb-17 14:17:38

Presumably the risk of a car spontaneously bursting into flames is a) miniscule and b) much more likely to happen with the engine running therefore with you also in the car. What about the risk of you and baby being run over in the car park? Surely just as likely/unlikely as the car blowing up? If you can see the car and or will be less than 5 mins then I would leave the baby in the car.

eddielizzard Wed 22-Feb-17 14:21:11

i would. if it's a case of jump out, walk child in, walk out and back it's a few mins.

savagehk Wed 22-Feb-17 14:21:27

Agreed the risk of a car burning into flames is miniscule, but it's not something I could live with. The case I'm referring to was caused by a faulty electric window switch. The mother was unpacking groceries and the car was on her driveway.

wherethewildrosesgrow Wed 22-Feb-17 14:21:56

if you don't take the baby in I'm sure someone will report you, or call you out on it, no matter how safe the baby is

TweakieNicholls Wed 22-Feb-17 14:21:56

I think it depends on where your car park is in relation to where you are dropping off. If I could see the car from where I was dropping off (i.e through the window of nursery) then I would leave baby if they were sleeping. My nursery was about 20 metres down an alley at the back of a building so I never left the baby in the car.

Mia1415 Wed 22-Feb-17 14:24:14

For me it would depend on whether I could see the car from the nursery. At DS's nursery I can't and therefore I wouldn't.

EggsEleven Wed 22-Feb-17 14:24:34

What do you all do when you pay for petrol when there is no pay at pump facility? Bring the baby into garage with you? What if the baby is sleeping? Genuinely curious as I leave my baby in the car and can't really see how it's that different from a nursery drop-off scenario.

DoggyMadMum Wed 22-Feb-17 14:24:47

I would leave in car if sleeping.

JaxingJump Wed 22-Feb-17 14:24:51

There are risks with every move you make. So it's up to you to decide. Just check that movement in the locked. At doesn't set off the alarm! I discovered this when I left my 3 to pop into Tesco. Sounds terrible but it's 3 toddlers, Tesco express and car was parked in doorway where I could see. Still embarrassing when the alarm went off.

Noodledoodledoo Wed 22-Feb-17 14:38:23

I have to do this 3 times a week, luckily I only do pick up not drop off else it would be 6 times.

There are lots of mums in the same situation - all either take carseat in, put car seat on wheels, or sling the baby.

I either do sling or carry car seat - although this option is rapidly disappearing as baby is getting too heavy!

Wouldn't have even crossed my mind to leave baby in the car as an option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now