Talk

Advanced search

to think that trigger warnings are becoming completely meaningless?

(4 Posts)

Based on what I see daily on social media anyway.

I'm in a large FB parenting group where in the last month I've seen trigger warnings for the following things...

A post about being overweight
A post about using cry it out
A post about a fairly minor dispute with a family member
A post about a snake (the snake didn't do anything, it just existed and didn't yet have a name)
A post about how to encourage a back to back baby to turn into a better position
A post about a horse (the horse didn't do anything either, it was just a post about the horse)
A post about what contraception to use

And a post about a piece of plastic found in a bath bomb (no injury caused to anyone, it was spotted before use) was removed and the poster was only allowed to repost if they used a trigger warning at the top of the new post confused

This seems to be becoming the norm in more and more corners of the internet (not yet on here thank fuck) and whilst I absolutely get the need for trigger warnings when discussing certain subjects that level just seems to be making a mockery of the whole thing!

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Wed 22-Feb-17 08:51:54

I agree. It seems like something designed to protect people who had been through traumatic events has been broadened to include anything someone might not be keen on.

Yes! That's exactly how I feel. Please let's have trigger warning for graphic discussion or images of things that are obviously traumatic. I support and understand that.

But... horses? Faulty bath bombs that didn't actually get used? FFS.

helpmebuystuff Wed 22-Feb-17 08:57:53

I agree and I think it's very insulting to sufferers of genuine PTSD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now