Talk

Advanced search

To think this is wrong - use of personal data

(19 Posts)
Justyou Wed 22-Feb-17 00:00:10

I had really bad customer service at a restaurant today, I ve left a review on their website stating my complaints and it said if you wish to be contacted about this leave your details in the comments box.
I ve just checked online and to my horror my review has been published PLUS my full name and phone number. I feel so panicked I don't know what to do, the place is shut now so I can't call them , I tried e mailing but to be honest I'm not confident that won't be published they were so useless at customer service today. I think they may be shut tomorrow too.
What can I do - have they breached any laws?

Justyou Wed 22-Feb-17 00:07:45

Please help anyone ??

avamiah Wed 22-Feb-17 00:09:00

Why did you give your phone number?

NotStoppedAllDay Wed 22-Feb-17 00:10:33

For a callback I assume

Data protection should be guaranteed

Justyou Wed 22-Feb-17 00:11:11

It said on the form if I wanted them to contact me leave my name and contact details in the comment box.

avamiah Wed 22-Feb-17 00:11:33

It's always best to leave a review on a reputable website like TripAdvisor.

DJBaggySmalls Wed 22-Feb-17 00:12:45

Its a breach of data protection, and you can make a complaint against them.

ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-6-rights/damage-or-distress/

Justyou Wed 22-Feb-17 00:13:12

I left it on a email link they sent me asking for a review.

avamiah Wed 22-Feb-17 00:14:49

I would of given my email but you are not at fault they are .
Can you not go back on to the website and delete your details?

Justyou Wed 22-Feb-17 00:15:35

Thank you I cant sleep as I need to have my phone on and I keep thinking I am going to get weird calls.

avamiah Wed 22-Feb-17 00:16:41

Yes DJ is correct .

Justyou Wed 22-Feb-17 00:16:50

No I ve tried logging in but I can't get access to the review page except to view it but more have been left since so they have obviously saw mine too.

DJBaggySmalls Wed 22-Feb-17 00:19:48

You complain to them first, and of you dont get a satisfactory reply then you report them to ICO. they should have a Data Controller, and be registered with ICO.

Its taken very seriously and they may be fined around £1,000.

Lovewineandchocs Wed 22-Feb-17 00:20:47

Hi OP this is unfair processing and a breach of the first data protection principle. They told you that your data would be used to contact you, not to be published to identify you as the reviewer. Contact them tomorrow and tell them you want it removed. Follow this up immediately in writing stating that you object, under section 10 of the Data Protection Act, to their processing of your personal data in this manner. It is causing you distress and you want it removed. They have 21 days to respond to this, but hopefully if you phone them also they should remove the details immediately. You can also make a complaint to the ICO.

Shellym13 Wed 22-Feb-17 00:21:18

Did you complain at the time, they will be expecting your feedback

Justyou Wed 22-Feb-17 00:27:38

Yes I spoke to someone on the phone and had told them I would be leaving a honest review of how appalling their service was they had ruined my child's birthday meal, wrong charges, cold food, food missing, false offers on display it really was that bad

Bettyspants Wed 22-Feb-17 00:37:50

Wow. I'd also be worried and seriously pissed off. Love wine has given good info. if I were in your shoes I would take ss of it and try and delete the review, only as I really wouldn't want my real name and number there!! I would then take it further

Bettyspants Wed 22-Feb-17 00:39:14

Having said that I'd want my review to remain...trip advisor review giving details of your experience reviewing in their website too? Ugh. Doesn't help me saying I'd be feeling the same, sorry.

Justyou Wed 22-Feb-17 00:40:50

Thank you, have ss it also of the page asking to leave contact details there for manager to call back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now