Talk

Advanced search

To do a medical trial?

(29 Posts)
daimbar Tue 21-Feb-17 22:16:50

Lost my job yesterday.

DP also out of work. We have a toddler, bills to pay etc.

Done some research and apparently you can get up to £3k for two weeks and all you get is 'mild cold' symptoms. The website says it's completely safe (but it would do).

DP says I am crazy to put my health at risk but I think it might be a good option to get a bit of money in.

Has anyone done one? Or know anyone that has? AIBU and irresponsible to do this as an mother?

SpiritedLondon Tue 21-Feb-17 22:21:25

You are clearly joking having just watched the BBC programme about the medical trial that went horribly wrong. Crack on sounds awesome.

Mum2jenny Tue 21-Feb-17 22:21:42

If you trust the trial centre, it's easy money. There is a trial centre outside Nottingham which is well respected. If it's that one, I'd go for it.

Mum2jenny Tue 21-Feb-17 22:22:35

Is it a phase 3 trial?

daimbar Tue 21-Feb-17 22:26:10

The one I was looking at is Flu Camp and you can do it in London or Manchester.

What's phase 3?

ChestyNut Tue 21-Feb-17 22:28:25

Have you just watched the BBC programme?

TheSconeOfStone Tue 21-Feb-17 22:29:26

Unlikely to be phase III on healthy volunteers.

Mum2jenny Tue 21-Feb-17 22:29:27

Google the phases, trials are set up from phase 1 to phase 4. The larger the number, the more ppl have been involved in the trial. Phase 1 is the earliest phase, phase 4 is the last phase.

I'd be very wary of being involved in phases 1 and 2

thisismyfirsttime Tue 21-Feb-17 22:31:42

Yes, go for it! What's the worst that can happen? hmm

Coulddowithanap Tue 21-Feb-17 22:34:10

Not something I would do. Would rather spend my time looking for another job than worrying if I'm going to die!

TheSconeOfStone Tue 21-Feb-17 22:35:00

Phase 1 trials test how safe the drug is. Phase 2 and 3 test whether it actually effective against the disease. Phase 1 'first into man' test safety often on healthy volunteers. I wouldn't go for it personally. It is tightly regulated but they are testing safety on you.

DonaldStott Tue 21-Feb-17 22:35:55

Obviously just watched the documentary. In quite bad taste OP.

alltouchedout Tue 21-Feb-17 22:38:13

Have you not read any horror/ dystopian stories in your life?!

In all seriousness no. I would not even consider this. Even facing financial calamity.

Bluntness100 Tue 21-Feb-17 22:39:20

Did you just watch the program on tv and think, I know, think I'll start a thread on that" 🙄🙄🙄

RitaMills Tue 21-Feb-17 22:41:32

You've obviously just watched the documentary, I'm quite surprised the only thing you took away from it was 'the trial paid £2000' before you started googling test centres near you.

Mum2jenny Tue 21-Feb-17 22:41:34

I'd do phase 3 and 4 studies, but not phases 1 and 2 if I wanted/needed the money.

UnbornMortificado Tue 21-Feb-17 22:43:16

Not a chance.

I didn't watch the programme but I read an article a few days ago. I don't think the tiny risk is worth it, even less so with young DC.

CaraAspen Tue 21-Feb-17 22:51:29

No. That is crazy stuff. However, I prefer them to test on humans instead of animals.

CaraAspen Tue 21-Feb-17 22:51:39

No. That is crazy stuff. However, I prefer them to test on humans instead of animals.

PlayOnWurtz Tue 21-Feb-17 22:53:40

Yes. They're better regulated these days.

I put myself forward for a trial for a new miscarriage treatment (no financial incentives only expenses) but didn't conceive in time to take part

daimbar Tue 21-Feb-17 22:53:44

Yep I did watch the documentary but had considered the flu camp one before I got pregnant.

I appreciate what people are saying and apologies if it was bad timing to post after the programme.

I know that trial went wrong but I haven't heard of any others where people suffered bad side effects so the chances seem very slim, especially if it's only a cold virus.

Will look into these phases more.

BoopTheSnoot Tue 21-Feb-17 22:55:41

I agree with PP; I think you've just watched the harrowing BBC documentary on the first in man trial that went horrifically wrong.
Do you think that their ordeal would have been worth £2k? You can't put a price on your health.

puppysurprise Tue 21-Feb-17 22:57:17

No.
Would rather work for minimum wage in a chicken shop all the hours I could do than take random unknown drugs for cash.

sanityisamyth Tue 21-Feb-17 23:05:59

Research TGN1412

Scarftown Tue 21-Feb-17 23:15:53

I watch the program (thought it was very good) and I work in the industry.

I personally wouldn't do it if I had kids. Even for 2k and cold symptoms the time away from family never mind the risk is too high for me. I did a couple of trials when I was at uni but I wouldn't say I enjoyed it.

What happened with TGN1412 is very rare and before that everyone thought they were doing enough to minimise the risk to patients. Since then they have put in so many other steps to minimise risk and even a year ago there was a patient that died in France on a healthy volunteer trial and 5 almost died. Theres still a risk even after you take all the precautions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now