Advanced search

To take a job an uncommutable distance from my house

(37 Posts)
user1487622990 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:27:51

I qualified as a social worker 8 months ago and have struggled to find work. I have applied for 15 jobs and had 15 interviews. My applications are brilliant and I have a 100% success rate when it comes to getting interviews. But that's where the good luck ended. I was rubbish at job interviews and just seemed to forget everything I knew and speak none sense through them all.

Finally, I got some confidence and I got a permanent job as a social worker in an area which is a 55 minute train journey from my parents house. I could therefore live at my parents house until I find suitable accommodation so I have accepted the job offer.

I currently live in Manchester and have a council house in an okay area. It's not rough but not desirable either as it's quite out of the way without much amenities.

I cannot commute to this job from my council house. It's an hour and 50 mins each way.

If I were to take this job my only options would be to either leave my council house (and secure tenancy) and move back in with my parents and apply for social housing in the area I worked (have confirmed I would be entitled to do this as my working commute means my current accommodation is unsuitable).

Or, get a mortgage on my current council house with the right to buy and rent it out and use that money to rent somewhere near my work (I've had confirmation this would be fine as long as my house would be my main home and I didn't own any others at the time of applying to buy).

I have already been given permission to buy my council house as I've lived there 7 years now. It would just be a case of getting a mortgage.
This shouldn't be too much of a problem as my income will be £28,000
And my house with discount is £70,000. No deposit needed.
I would have rather got a job near my house but unfortunately that doesn't seem likely to happen any time soon and I feel I cannot give this opportunity up. It's a permanent, professional job with a decent salary and I'm becoming depressed being unemployed.
Would I be unreasonable to take this job and attempt one of these options?
Private renting is not something I would consider. I've had a very unpleasant experience while private renting and don't want that for my son. I would choose to stay at my parents than do that.

rollonthesummer Tue 21-Feb-17 21:30:10

I cannot commute to this job from my council house. It's an hour and 50 mins each way.

My DH commutes 2 hours door to door each way to work in London every day-lots of people round here do--it's not a totally ridiculous option.

blueskyinmarch Tue 21-Feb-17 21:32:06

What age is your son? Does he need to get to school? If he doesn’t and your DP can care for him couldn’t you compromise? Keep your house, do the long drive to your DP on Monday morning, stay with them 4 nights and go back to your house on the Friday evening? If you could do this for 12/18 moths you would have enough experience to apply for jobs nearer home.

Chartreuse45 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:33:24

I think you have worked it out very well. Any of the solutions are workable. For your future the best would be the buy and rent out. The only thing I might worry about is getting and keeping tenants. I do not live in the UK, so I also cannot advise on how much upkeep a house rented out would need.

blueskyinmarch Tue 21-Feb-17 21:34:23

Also, spending on what sort of SW job it is you might be able to spend one day week at home doing reports etc? I had a work laptop and phone when i was working as a SW and could do some working from home.

Domino45 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:35:10

As a fellow social worker I would take the job to gain some experience and confidence whilst looking for another job nearer to home. My first social work job was a longer commute but within 3 months I found one closer to home. Can you decide about buying your house after starting the job as it may help you to decide after starting? I suspect a bank may ask about a probation period when considering a mortgage application.

Itwasthenandstillis Tue 21-Feb-17 21:35:50

Take the job and do ithe well whatever.

RandomMess Tue 21-Feb-17 21:36:25

A 2 hour commute each way as a single parent is somewhat different especially with the duties that come with being a social worker!

Presumably you could live with your parents for a few months before making a decision either way?

I also thought with new tenancies it was only for 5 years at a time?

traviata Tue 21-Feb-17 21:36:35

Sounds like a very sensible solution. I'd go for the right-to-buy option, then you always have a secure base to return to if things change, and you can keep looking for jobs near your home.

Bear in mind that if you buy then rent, your mortgage interest rate will probably be adjusted, and remember the income tax.

OooohHorlicks Tue 21-Feb-17 21:36:39

My commute can be 2 hours one way some days. It's hard but doable, although I can completely understand that it will have implications for childcare. If the job is right then take it, do it for as long as you can and if it gets too tough look for something else. Easier to look for alternative employment when you're already in employment.

It's good that you have your parents as an option. Once you've been in post for a while you could put some feelers out for working at home a day a week. Or compressed hours.


user1487622990 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:41:58

Yes that's with a car. I don't drive so we're talking a 3 and a half hour commute on public transport.

But I've got my driving test in a few weeks so should be driving by he time I have started he job.

The cost of the commute would be extortionate as it includes mostly motorways and that time does not include rush hour traffic.

From my house I can't get to the job. It's just not doable. If I had more money and no child maybe. But not in my current circumstances.

Kokapetl Tue 21-Feb-17 21:51:16

Letting out a house is a pain. The mortgage lender may insist you get a buy to let mortgage which means a much higher rate than a residential mortgage. If they allow a residential mortgage you may have to notify them every 6 months that it is still let out and you may be limited as to how long you can do this. Also you will have to pay tax on the rental income which means filling in a tax return every year. If you don't use an agency you will have a lot of work and hassle unless you let to friends and family. If you do use an agent you will get even less money. We weren't even able to cover our mortgage payments when we (had to) let out our house and the government is changing the tax rules so I don't think you'll even be able to deduct the mortgage interest as a cost any more!

It may still be cost effective for you because of the right to buy thing but you'll need to consider all of the above. But also check the rules about selling houses because I think there is something about if you have not been the owner-occupier for 3 yrs you have to pay income tax on any profit when you sell too.

As another poster has said, banks do also usually need 3 months worth of pay slips for a mortgage although a letter from your employer might do.

OooohHorlicks Tue 21-Feb-17 21:54:50

"Presumably you could live with your parents for a few months before making a decision either way?"

I agree with Random on this. Start with support if you can.

napmeistergeneral Tue 21-Feb-17 21:56:52

Congratulations on your job.

Don't buy and rent out. You said yourself you didn't like private renting; why make it harder on others to have the opportunity you've had? Let someone else have the council house and the security that cones with it.

luckylucky24 Tue 21-Feb-17 22:02:48

I remember your last thread and am glad you have found work. Getting a mortgage is not as simple as it sounds. You will need to have been working a while before the bank are willing. I would move in with parents and see how you are doing in a few months.

bostonkremekrazy Tue 21-Feb-17 22:03:12

can you do one of the council house swaps?

GardenGeek Tue 21-Feb-17 22:03:51

Are council house swaps still a thing?

Might be worth investigating.

Congratulations grin

GardenGeek Tue 21-Feb-17 22:04:21

ooo boston

My x-post soul mate wink

Kokapetl Tue 21-Feb-17 22:05:24

Also just noticed you have said you would use the money from this house to rent somewhere nearer the job but elsewhere that private renting is not an option for you. I doubt if you'd get a council house while already owning one so it would have to be private renting if you bought the house then used any money from it to rent. We rented privately for 8ish years and only had problems (fairly minor) when moving out but I have heard of various bad experiences.

Sorry, don't mean to sound so negative! Just wanted to help you make an informed decision. Congratulations on getting the job and best of luck working out the best solution for you.

blackcherries Tue 21-Feb-17 22:09:26

I remember your previous post. Sending lots of good luck for your driving test!

user1487622990 Tue 21-Feb-17 22:13:32

I already know all the technical and legal issues regarding buying my own home.

Because of the cost of the house and my income I'm not worried. It would only be for a few years and I would then use the money to buy my own home so renting it out would only be for a while not a long term consideration.

I have several people already interested in private renting my home were I to buy it.

I would stay with my parents a few months before making an decision.

Chewbecca Tue 21-Feb-17 22:14:44

Great news on the job! Take the job and make it work. You've got several solutions, all are feasible, try the one best for you. Definitely take the job though - best of luck.

WayfaringStranger Tue 21-Feb-17 22:15:10

You'll need to be working for a while before you get a mortgage and you may find it expensive to have a buy to let mortgage. Also, do you meet the criteria for social housing in the area near your parents?

SundialShadow Tue 21-Feb-17 22:18:21

Congratulations on the job!
Just do it.
Best of luck to you and your son for the future.

Judydreamsofhorses Tue 21-Feb-17 22:25:41

Congrats on the job! Here a person who owned a property would not get another council house, and in fact you'd have such a long wait to get a tower block in the worst part of town you'd be nearing retirement. (Partly because of RTB, where people then rent the properties out or sell them and make a killing.)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: