Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked that....

(27 Posts)
plainchickencurrywithfriedrice Tue 21-Feb-17 20:48:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thedcbrokemybank Tue 21-Feb-17 20:49:51

Not precious at all. I wouldn't allow my 11 year old to play either.

smilingsarahb Tue 21-Feb-17 20:53:46

I know of even younger childrdn playing it. I find it very upsetting as I don't think their understanding of what is real and what isn't is quite there then.

mygorgeousmilo Tue 21-Feb-17 20:55:21

No effing way!! YANBU or precious. It has no worldly benefit to them, just nasty violence. Totally unnecessary and potentially harmful

Gindrinker43 Tue 21-Feb-17 20:56:49

My 11 yr old isn't allowed, as much as he would like to. He has a friend who plays it with the sound off!

ragz134 Tue 21-Feb-17 20:57:10

Nope, my sons aren't allowed (9+10) though they insist friends of theirs play it. This may or may not be true, but it's an 18 and I wouldn't be happy with it until 13/14?

augustbody Tue 21-Feb-17 20:57:36

Anyone who lets their 7 year old play Call of Duty is a fucking shitty parent. That's it really.

Purplebluebird Tue 21-Feb-17 21:03:36

I wouldn't let my son play COD at that age. Maybe at 14.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Tue 21-Feb-17 21:05:53

That really is shocking. 11 is too young, ffs. I wouldn't dream of letting a 9 year old play it.

summerholsdreamin Tue 21-Feb-17 21:10:04

Nope...my 11yo constantly bangs on about how all his other mates are allowed to play it but not a chance

SnowBallsAreHere Tue 21-Feb-17 21:12:47

I don't let my 13/14 year old play it! he's the oldest so anything he plays the younger ones see/play too

Stuck16 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:17:13

My neighbours let their 6 and 8 year olds play cod and GTA.
When the boys come here to play I now switch off the wifi as they were going on my son's tablet and showing him lots of age inappropriate things such as Jeff the killer.
I just can't fathom why parents would allow their children to play these games- there's an age rating on them for a reason

fluffmonkey1980 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:18:25

It's interesting there are people saying OMG no to 9 & 11, but deem that 14yrs of age for an 18 rated game is fine.

acatcalledjohn Tue 21-Feb-17 21:18:41

YANBU. My partner occasionally plays it but he's banned from playing it in my presence because I think it's a vile game and I don't want to see and hear the shit that happens in it.

He's mid thirties and thinks my demand is fair.

bookworm14 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:19:21

Not being precious at all - it's atrocious parenting. Games have age ratings like films for a very good reason. I think some ignorant parents just hear the word 'game' and assume therefore that it must be for children.

JamDonutsRule Tue 21-Feb-17 21:21:05

Forgive my ignorance here,but I've not seen the game. What type of violence and swearing is featured?

bigearsthethird Tue 21-Feb-17 21:23:59

Not precious. Mine are not allowed because it's an 18. Apparently their friends play it though.

supermoon100 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:25:03

I wouldn't even want my dh playing it. Vile game

LetsStartAtTheVeryBeginning Tue 21-Feb-17 21:30:33

I wouldn't let my 16 year old play it, so no, you're not being precious.

ChoudeBruxelles Tue 21-Feb-17 21:33:01

Oh the moaning we have from ds(10) because it's not fair he's not allowed to play 18 rated games and ALL of his friends are allowed.

There are a couple of kids who are and I think it's incredibly lazy parenting. They appear to have let them because they can't say no

Kewcumber Tue 21-Feb-17 21:36:07

Our primary school head teacher sent a letter home to parents at the beginning of term saying that if he discovered any children were being allowed to play video games of an inappropriate age rating (we all knew he was talking about COD and GTA) that the family will be reported to social services!

I have no idea if its a bluff but it certainly worked (or at least drove the problem underground!)

sonyaya Tue 21-Feb-17 21:36:42

I love it but YANBU. It is violent.

jamdonuts

It's a shooter game within a military context but there are some pretty hard hitting storylines. For example the character you play as is often brutally murdered (burned alive in one case), or there are cut scenes where you have to creep up on people and kill them etc. In one years ago, Black Ops I I think, you are undercover with terrorists and go round shooting civilians in an airport, not compulsory to shoot but pretty unpleasant stuff for 11 year olds.

I'm not interested in this side of it but there is also a big choice of guns and a lot of info about them which I wouldn't want my hypothetical 11 yr old getting into.

squeak10 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:38:12

No, mine got gta when he was 17 as he had a amazon voucher that he bought it with. Never played call of duty

BakeOffBiscuits Tue 21-Feb-17 21:38:16

Well done to your HT Kew. It's a shame more don't do that!

scottishdiem Tue 21-Feb-17 21:41:36

I am quite liberal I think when it comes to these things (my parents let me watch 18 rated films like Rambo and Schwarzenegger action films when they were watching them on video) when I was in my early teens but even I would not be letting 7 & 8 year olds play those games at that age and not for another several years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now