Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU over holiday booking?

(15 Posts)
Guitargirl Tue 21-Feb-17 17:38:25

I have been in communication with the owner of holiday accommodation over the last few days regarding a potential booking. It's a booking made directly with the accommodation owners. I sent the owner an info request last night for 3 x nights accommodation for 1 adult (me) and the 2 DCs. On the website it states that the accommodation can sleep 'up to 4'.

The owner got back to me with a quote late last night. I didn't reply as I was on my way to bed. First thing this morning she sent me another email marked urgent asking me if I had received her email. I replied to say that yes, I was interested in the accommodation and how would I go about making an actual booking. She replied with a form and asked me to complete it. I sent back the completed form and at the same time I explained that DP was trying to get that weekend off work and if he could, would it be an issue to add him as a fourth?

She replied to say that was fine as the accommodation could sleep 4 'at a push' but then tried to upsell us to another place (way out of our budget). I replied to say no thanks, the initial place was fine. She then emailed again trying to upsell and asked me again to confirm I would be happy with the sleeping arrangements and I said yes. Then she sent me an invoice for a deposit to be paid today and a summary of the info I had provided on the form. Except under the 'number of guests' was a blank space.

I then paid the deposit and replied to say that I had paid the deposit and the form summary was fine except the number of guests was not complete.

She then emailed to say that 4 guests would require an additional 60 EUR a night and tried again to upsell the bigger place.

Grrrrrr - am so pissed off. I have replied to say no, I don't want the bigger place and I would have appreciated being told about the extra charge before paying the deposit.

If she had let me know before then I would probably still have gone ahead and booked it but as it is, I feel as though I've been conned into making that booking.

AIBU?

sonyaya Tue 21-Feb-17 17:40:22

YANBU. Sharp practice.

DontTouchTheMoustache Tue 21-Feb-17 17:43:06

Can you not say your dp is not coming but bring him anyway? I'm guessing she isn't going to be checking in on you?

Ameliablue Tue 21-Feb-17 17:43:10

Sounds dodgy, assuming it's self catering.

CrohnicallyPregnant Tue 21-Feb-17 17:44:16

YANBU, I would be asking or the deposit back as by adding a 60EUR charge she has changed the terms and conditions of the booking! That is if you've got other accommodation you could use. Otherwise I'd wait until after the holiday and provide an honest review to hopefully prevent other people being caught out.

rollmeover Tue 21-Feb-17 17:50:56

Ask for your deposit back - I assume you are not in the U.K. as you are talking about Euros but I'm sure UK consumer protection legislation comes from Europe and this sort of thing is wrong - they need to be clear about the price. Ask for your money back or say you are going to complain to local Trading Standards/tourism board etc.

Guitargirl Tue 21-Feb-17 17:50:58

Yes, it's self-catering. I had thought about not mentioning that he's coming but I think the owners live on the site too and presumably keep a close eye. Plus they definitely will be now if I say that he's not coming after all.

It looks like a lovely place but this has taken the shine off it a bit now. I think am going to leave it until afterwards (just in case anything else happens!) and then have a rant on TripAdvisor!

Guitargirl Tue 21-Feb-17 17:52:54

We are in the UK but the accommodation is not, which is way the price is in EUR. Grrrr.

FatimaLovesBread Tue 21-Feb-17 18:21:12

An extra 60euros per night just to add DH?!
Was is originally advertised as a per accommodation cost or a per person cost? On self catering websites it's normally just a charge for three accommodation regardless of the number of people as long as it's within capacity

youwouldthink Tue 21-Feb-17 18:30:47

Did you book it through a site that owners advertise on? If so escalate it to them they are very strict about practises like this. Screen shot the description saying the accomodation sleeps 4 and use that to log a complaint.

Guitargirl Tue 21-Feb-17 18:50:28

I went through the owners' direct website but I think they do advertise on general websites too.

On their website the price is quoted as a range from X to X and it says to email to request an exact price, which I what I did last night. I had assumed however that the range related to the time/season of booking - not the number of guests. So bottom price for low season and top price for high season. It's all a bit vague but have looked at others in the area and they're all the same degree of vagueness. Maybe it's common practice sad. There is lots of accommodation in the area but it's almost all booked out for the time we are there.

Lesson learned!

DontTouchTheMoustache Tue 21-Feb-17 19:02:14

I wouldn't be happy about it, I'd ask.them to direct you to the terms and conditions where it states that this is the case.

mickeysminnie Tue 21-Feb-17 19:10:20

The owners are changing their arm. I have never known the range of rates to be for anything other than the time of year.
At a guess I would say that she has already got someone interested or indeed booked for that week which is why she is now trying to move you to the bigger premise. Charging you an extra €60 PER NIGHT for your dh is outrageous for a self catering it isn't like he needs another bedroom!
I would cancel because for me this would taint the holiday completely!

Guitargirl Tue 21-Feb-17 19:24:20

I have had another root around on TripAdvisor and they have 140-something excellent reviews and 3 poor ones.

Have just received a cheerful email acknowledging that they have received my deposit with no mention the (stroppy) email I sent earlier.

confused

mickeysminnie Tue 21-Feb-17 21:22:20

It is very easy to open accounts on trip advisor and leave yourself a good review. Be careful of putting too much stock in their reviews.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now