Talk

Advanced search

To feel cynical about Diane Abbott?

(12 Posts)
lucydogz Tue 21-Feb-17 15:26:41

Firstly, I think the abuse directed at public figures on social media is abhorrent. But, just when DA's approval ratings couldn't have been worse, with her 'migraine' necessitating that she couldn't vote on a controversial issue, or even submit a proxy vote, hey presto up comes a story about how horribly she's treated. The Guardian have had comment pieces on it at least three times in the last week.
It isn't clear to me what happened with David Davis. Some reports said that all he did was whisper 'thanks for your vote' in her ear, which I can understand. But I feel her PR is desperately trying to focus people's attention away from what she did.

Guitargirl Tue 21-Feb-17 15:36:35

She's my MP and has been fecking useless. I have had occasion to contact her twice over the course of ten-plus years and she didn't respond either time.

I do think she gets a lot of personal abuse which is of course completely unwarranted.

But as an MP I have absolutely zero respect for her. There have been countless times that her behaviour has disappointed. When the riots happened in London a few summers ago I remember her immediate response was to post on Twitter 'it's all kicking off in Hackney'. Like a bloody teenager - not an elected representative. Last summer when the Labour leadership debacle was at its height, again, she was all over Twitter like a rash posting selfies in different parts of the House of Commons in response to people saying that she was barricading JC's office. The woman is a total embarrassment.

And as for her response over Brexit, I have no words.

Labour will never get my vote again.

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Tue 21-Feb-17 15:55:25

I don't think anyone should be abused or have threats made against them.

That issue aside, my opinion on Diane Abbot is that she is an absolute hypocrite and her behaviour does nothing to promote the role of women in politics or anywhere else for that matter.

Applebite Tue 21-Feb-17 16:00:19

I quite liked her at first, but then I thought she was a massive hypocrite following the stories about her son and how he needed private school because he was a black child, and how white parents can't possibly understand how "west indian mums will go to the wall for their children".

Look love, if you think private schools are better and you can afford it, you knock yourself out, but don't justify it like that!

Guavaf1sh Tue 21-Feb-17 16:03:55

She was in a difficult position for the article 50 Brexit vote where Corbyn wanted her to vote yes but her constituents did not. It was a lose lose situation. Instead of being brave and picking a side, standing up for something, she bottled it claimed she had a migraine and went home. She had been there until 5pm that same day. It was very obviously an excuse not to vote. She represents everything that is wrong with politics today

WhispersOnTheWind Tue 21-Feb-17 16:04:26

YANBU - I agree public figure bashing on social media is often gratuitous and OTT but it's hard not to feel cynical about Diane Abbot given her track record.

LukesDiner Tue 21-Feb-17 16:06:52

She's my MP as well and I am thoroughly ashamed of the way she has responded to Brexit. Her constituency was the 2nd highest percentage of remain in mainland UK. The arrogance of her is awesome, in all the wrong ways. I also thought the stories of her abuse were almost too coincidental. Abuse against MPs of either sex are utterly abhorrent but one should not overlook her general awfulness because of her experience with David Davies.

DJBaggySmalls Tue 21-Feb-17 16:06:58

YANBU. Being cynical about a politician and questioning their choices is acceptable; its not the same as abuse which isnt.
She has come across as self serving. She isnt doing women or Labour any favours.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:09:16

I'll put together what others have said and simply say that she is a self serving hypocrite. She puts herself first, last and always.

raindripsonruses Tue 21-Feb-17 16:13:24

I dislike her very much for many of her actions and the things she says. However, abuse towards MPs (actual or threatened) is absolutely abhorrent. Disagree with, yes. Personally dislike, yes. Abuse. Absolutely NOT.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Tue 21-Feb-17 16:15:10

I was going to say exactly what Snoopysimaginaryfriend said. And it's an epic user name smile

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Tue 21-Feb-17 16:21:15

Thanks *the hodgeofthehedge'. I love yours too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now