Talk

Advanced search

To ask how to develop an 'eye for design'

(7 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Tue 21-Feb-17 15:14:23

Boring thread alert!

After years of renting and not having control over decor, myself and dp bought our first house 2 years ago. I always assumed that when this happened, I would know exactly what kind of soft furnishings I would like and what kind of schemes/themes I would go for.

Wrong. It just feels like I have no sense of my own style. I look at photos on Pinterest and think 'oh, that's nice' but I can't settle on one consistent theme. I don't like the hotel room 'luxurious perfection' look, but full on country kitsch isn't my thing either. Mismatched clutter is my worst nightmare. Apart from that, I have no idea what I'm looking for. I see lamps and vases that I think I might like but am afraid to buy them in case they don't fit in god I sound sad hmm

How do I develop a sense of interior style? Am I missing a fundamental part of grown-upness? I need website/book/tv show advice please!

Justanothernameonthepage Tue 21-Feb-17 16:37:29

When you're watching TV, start thinking about the sets. Same for when you go into places. Think about what you like and then look for similar themes to narrow down what you like about it.

RebootYourEngine Tue 21-Feb-17 16:49:11

I am the same. I see other peoples homes and they always look well put together, cosy & homely. Whereas mine just looks plain, bland and blah.

DJBaggySmalls Tue 21-Feb-17 16:51:57

You can actually learn design and colour sense, look out for courses and books. Graphic design is a good place to start.

This is a good blog on colour theory.
www.creativebloq.com/colour/colour-theory-11121290

RentANDBills Tue 21-Feb-17 16:55:48

Pinterest is your best friend here!

Manijo Tue 21-Feb-17 17:59:38

Houzz.co.uk and as PP mentions pinterest.
Because I only like contemporary I buy Elle Decoration and Real Homes magazines. Goo Luck with your first home. So exciting!

Borisrules Tue 21-Feb-17 18:04:35

Think of the look of the whole room well in advance.
My piece of advice is scour magazines for things you like and seriously put together a board of stuff you like. When shopping for cushions/fabric/furniture etc take it with you.
Also when you decorate a room put some of the paint colours onto either end of a small scrap of wood that would fit into a handbag and staple on scraps of curtain fabric etc
Keep it in your handbag and then you have it with you if you happen to come across an accessory that you like but are not sure if it will fit" the look."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now