Talk

Advanced search

To be uncomfartable at making breast binding sound like another fashion choice?

(17 Posts)
Bambambini Tue 21-Feb-17 14:08:19

Just that really, breast binding can be dangerous for women and girls - i'm just concerned at how this is being advertised here - almost pushed and normalised. Do we even want binding encouraged and normalised? Are people out there possibly using this for their own gain? Is now the time to buy shares in breast binding manufacturers?

Bambambini Tue 21-Feb-17 14:08:57

Forgot the link

genderjam.org.uk/transresources/binders/

SundialShadow Tue 21-Feb-17 14:29:04

Ummm..... this is a support service for female to male transitioning. Are you a Daily Fail bot OP?

Teenspov Tue 21-Feb-17 14:38:29

Is this serious?

brasty Tue 21-Feb-17 14:45:28

The physical dangers are rarely discussed. It concerns me that teenage girls are doing something that may cause them physical harm.

Bambambini Tue 21-Feb-17 14:48:00

Yes it is serious. And it's aimed at " trans, non-binary, questioning and intersex " - that covers a lot of confused women and girls.

More and more girls and young women are identifying as trans, non binary, gender non conforming etc. I'm convinced their is an element of peer pressure, social contagion, social media overliad, fad, rebellion in it for many of them. I didn't search out a binding service - it appeared and caught me eye. I don't want girls to see binding as a fad or normal - it can be dangerous.

Something about the wording and easy access makes me very uncomfortable..

SundialShadow Tue 21-Feb-17 14:51:04

You must have fuck all to do with your time if all you have to worry about is people's right to self-identify.

Reporting the thread for too much muppet-ism.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Tue 21-Feb-17 14:57:09

Reporting? Seriously???
Here you go. This is what supportive breast binding can do.

And this is where supportive puberty blocking with nice chemo drugs can lead. www.petition2congress.com/1902/investigation-lupron-side-effects-leuprolide-acetate

RufusTheSpartacusReindeer Tue 21-Feb-17 14:58:21

I agree with brasty

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Tue 21-Feb-17 15:00:16

You must have fuck all to do with your time if all you have to worry about is people's right to self-identify.

You'll be backing Lian Huntley's move to a women's prison then?

Bambambini Tue 21-Feb-17 15:01:44

It concerns me that this service could be sending out binders to any child who ticks the boxes and can press the send botton on the smart phone - and not much conversation or checks in place.

brasty Tue 21-Feb-17 15:55:15

Even the site says wearing a binder can impact on your breathing, Wearing anything that means you can not breathe properly, is not healthy for you.

DJBaggySmalls Tue 21-Feb-17 16:03:48

I dont see how this is different from anorexia.

noeffingidea Tue 21-Feb-17 16:29:01

Neither of them are good, DJ. There is an element of self harm to both.
I would be concerned if my daughter wanted to wear one, wearing a minimising bra is one thing, damaging the breast tissue is a competely different matter.

Bambambini Tue 21-Feb-17 17:30:22

Someone said this is for girls/women transitioning to a transboy/man. It's not - it's "trans, non-binary, questioning and intersex" which covers a much wider reaching audience - and makes it sound that binding is just a natural part of that, a progression. Do we really want this normalised? Girls binding and being ashamed/disgusted by their bodies and we act as if that should be supported?

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Tue 21-Feb-17 18:03:00

Trans campaigning organisation Stonewall are now defining trans as "any person whose gender identity / expression does not conform to conventional ideas of male or female gender, or the sex they were assigned at birth."

Which pretty much comes down to everyone really. The trans cult has descended into ridiculousness.

I'd call it a kick in the teeth to people with genuine body dysphoria and fucking dangerous to people who don't fit stereotypes, get sucked in and realise too late that it wasn't the answer.

Bambambini Tue 21-Feb-17 23:05:11

Just don't understand why being non binary means breast binding - this is anything but progress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now