Talk

Advanced search

To be frustrated in new job?

(2 Posts)
sniffle12 Tue 21-Feb-17 14:07:37

I've started a temp job and am starting to get frustrated. Although we all sit together, the team don't really talk to me or make any effort to involve me. I try to make conversation in a morning by asking them how their weekends were etc. and they reply but then don't reciprocate by asking how mine was or indeed ask me anything. And yet they talk openly in front of me about social plans they have together after work but don't invite me.

I think I have a perfectly normal sense of appropriate times for conversation (e.g. start of a day, end of a day, lunchtime, walking between meetings) so it's not like I'm just cutting into silence when everybody's working with random questions all the time. I just want to be friendly and get to know them a bit.

Am I going mad? Is there something obvious which I'm missing and should be doing/am doing wrong? I know I will just have to keep persisting and being friendly, but AIBU to think a team should make an effort to include a newbie? I have been the established team member in teams with newbies before and always make sure to take them for lunch and find out a bit about them.

phoenix1973 Tue 21-Feb-17 14:12:04

Just keep doing what you are doing. You sound fine to me.

I'm a temp and I understand most people just can't be bothered to invest in someone who won't be there long term. I know it's not personal.

Just be polite, approachable and positive. It's just the nature if the situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now