Talk

Advanced search

Passport interview

(27 Posts)
Givemeallthechocolate Tue 21-Feb-17 12:05:04

I've got my passport interview for tomorrow!

I'm bricking it! I am so scared they will ask me questions that I can't answer! What if they ask details that I should know, but have Mosied through life not knowing?

I've also coloured my hair since I sent my pictures off. I was blonde and it didn't suit me at all. In fact my passport picture was what made me consider changing it!

Am I just being over anxious?

Do they tell you if you'll get your passport when you leave?

TeshiB Tue 21-Feb-17 12:09:53

When I went they just asked about my parents names and birthdates and the area/house I live in. I don't know if it was really different for anyone else but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Yes, at the end they told me when I'd receive my passport.

SundialShadow Tue 21-Feb-17 12:16:28

londonseye.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/uk-passport-interview-questions.html?m=1

Grilledaubergines Tue 21-Feb-17 12:20:34

Why are you being interviewed for a passport?

TheEdgeofSeventeen Tue 21-Feb-17 12:25:18

I've never been interviewed for a passport? Don't you just send off a renewal form every 10 years?

sirfredfredgeorge Tue 21-Feb-17 12:26:05

Grilledaubergines everyone has an interview for their first adult passport now (although apparently maybe not if you're nearly 88)

It's to stop people making an application in your name with their photos etc. So they interview you and ask you questions about other sources of information (job / family / locations etc.) that an impersonator is less able to do.

Oldraver Tue 21-Feb-17 12:31:48

My SIL did her first Passport last year and they asked her the route from her house into town (I think)...I would be fucked as I'm always forgetting the name order of the road into town ...same road, name changes about 4 times

sirfredfredgeorge Tue 21-Feb-17 12:35:21

same road, name changes about 4 times

But that's exactly the sort of thing they want to hear - that you have the local knowledge of the area that someone who's never walked or driven of cycled journeys from that house to town.

Rather than something that it's easy to rehearse for.

lostincumbria Tue 21-Feb-17 12:53:04

Wording inon the need for an interview is a bit tough, but I read it as an interview is required if you are applying for your first passport as an adult. So anyone with a valid child passport just goes down the renewal route.

Givemeallthechocolate Tue 21-Feb-17 15:44:34

It is my first passport.

Gah so worried! I don't even know street names. You know the ransoms advert when the man reels of a list of directions? Left at the jelly, right at the unicorn? That's how my directions would go!

I've had credit cards etc in my maiden name and married name. Never bothered to change them over. Do I include them all in the count or just Ones in my current name?

I might be the first legitimate person to turn up and be turned down because they can't prove they are themselves!

I half imagine I'm going to end up in the corner of the room having a panic attack!

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Tue 21-Feb-17 15:46:08

Really? Everyone gets interviewed for their first adult passport?

Well I've learnt something today.

Secretsquirrel252 Tue 21-Feb-17 15:50:59

When did they start doing that? It must have been after 2000.

Givemeallthechocolate Tue 21-Feb-17 15:56:28

I think it's a fairly recent thing, I'd read in their booklet there was s chance that I'd need to have an interview.

I read online everyone goes now, over 16 at least.

Apparently once they've done that they'll start on everyone who renews.

Floofborksnootandboop Tue 21-Feb-17 16:07:30

Really? Everyone gets interviewed for their first adult passport?

If you never had a child's passport before, which the OP says she hadnt. So anyone with a child's passport will just receive their adults passport when they renew their child's passport, whereas someone who has never had a passport, adults of child's, will have to have an interview.

kali110 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:16:13

I wouldn't know street names either confused i'm really bad with things like that. I can get to places by recognising routes, but not the street names!

GretchenFetchem Tue 21-Feb-17 16:25:39

Don't worry, you'll be fine. You'd have to get an awful lot of the answers wrong for you to be rejected. It's just routine.

My nan applied for her first ever passport when she was 85 (two years ago) so she could go on a booze cruise to France with her community centre buddies. She was also called to interview but my mum had to go with her because she's basically deaf. My mum answered nearly all the questions for her, Nan nodded and smiled politely/ obliviously throughout and it was over very quickly. I'm sure your interview will be just as easy! smile

P.s. My nan didn't like France, hasn't left the country since and probably never will again! lol grin

marriednotdead Tue 21-Feb-17 16:25:57

They'll also ask you about the person that countersigned your application, how you know them, how long for etc. I accompanied an elderly friend once who had some memory loss and slurred speech following a stroke- he couldn't even sign his form so I think they took a fingerprint, can't quite recall now.
It was about 2008 so they've been doing it for a while. I was worried he would get things wrong but they couldn't have been nicer. They just want to make sure it's genuinely the person applying.

OnTheUp13 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:34:20

I was interviewed for mine 7 years ago I think. They asked my Dads DOB- I said I don't know. We're NC and have been since I was 5!

I still got my passport grin

HighwayDragon1 Tue 21-Feb-17 17:32:07

Trying to imagine what I'd do if someone asked me how to drive to town, I've done it '00 of times. It'd be a lot of arm waving and 'you go this way a bit, then that way' hahaha

kali110 Tue 21-Feb-17 17:56:54

I have memory problems too, i frequently forgwt dob grin i hope i never have to go for one! Let's hope i don't lose my passport!

Grilledaubergines Tue 21-Feb-17 19:49:30

sirfred thank you, I had no idea.

AnarchyKitty Tue 21-Feb-17 19:56:39

An old friend of mine got turned down for his a few years back and had to appeal. The whole thing took about a year. Apparently something to do with the fact he tries to live off grid so didn't have enough I.D.
In fact I'm curious now about it so will ask him the full story.

TuckersBadLuck Tue 21-Feb-17 20:28:56

I had mine last September. It seemed obvious from the timings that the passport had already been approved and the interview is the final check before they send the passport.

The interview itself is more of a chat. I think it's the 'naturalness' of your responses they're looking for. There are obviously one or two key bits of information that they can check on easily through Government computer systems - your employment details to start with and I strongly suspect they do a basic credit check on you and use the information from that as the basis for their main checks. It's worth having a look at your credit report on Noddle or Experian, or at least knowing who all your loans, mortgages, credit cards and bank accounts are with. They also ask a few family details but again I think they're looking for the naturalness of the response rather than actual facts.

My passport arrived within a few days of the interview.

SparklyLeprechaun Tue 21-Feb-17 20:31:41

They asked me what age my countersignatory was. I'm rubbish at guessing ages, I made him 12 years younger.

mouse26 Tue 21-Feb-17 20:32:26

It'll be fine. They mainly just ask questions relating to the application, like parents names and dates of birth, how you know the person who countersigned etc. I was asked where I live, my job, what bank I use etc. I couldn't answer the dads date of birth and just said I don't know, haven't seen him for so many years etc. I got my passport a couple of weeks later smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now