Talk

Advanced search

To think why bother having kids in the first place!

(99 Posts)
Chelazla Tue 21-Feb-17 11:12:11

Lots of us have to work, we pay people to look after our kids, put them in breakfast club, holiday club etc. It needs to be done! BUT watching the Wright stuff I'm mystified that people are paying £2000 to people to potty train their kids and £20 per hour to ride a bike!!! Surely if you can't be bothered to do these most basic of things why bother having them! Maybe I'm being unreasonable but to me it's madness!!

MollyRedskirts Tue 21-Feb-17 11:22:08

I'm not watching it, but it sounds like what can happen when lack of confidence or desire to avoid tedious parts of parenting meets having lots of money. It does sound, er, unusual though.

Thefitfatty Tue 21-Feb-17 11:24:09

I think if I'd had 2000 to pay someone to potty train my kids I would have totally done it. Not teaching them to ride a bike no.....But potty training, sure.

namechangingagainagain Tue 21-Feb-17 11:25:14

where can I signup for the potty training thing?
<looks at massive puddle of piss my 3 year old has done on the floor>

RoganJosh Tue 21-Feb-17 11:25:37

Lots of people pay for swimming lessons though, so I'm not sure the bike riding is much different.

SellFridges Tue 21-Feb-17 11:25:51

I presume the people who are paying £2k to potty train kids also don't use nursery. Because, to be quite honest, when your child is in nursery they do the bulk of the potty training work.

TeamSteady Tue 21-Feb-17 11:26:23

I'll potty train someone else's for £2k!!grin

creampinkrose Tue 21-Feb-17 11:27:20

Because people don't have children to teach them to use a toilet, they have them to have a family.

MollyRedskirts Tue 21-Feb-17 11:27:41

If I had the money, I would pay someone to teach DS2 how to use a spoon properly. I'm getting fed up of being coated in mush.

Chelazla Tue 21-Feb-17 11:28:40

I think it is! Swimming is a potentially life saving skill that you need to do right. I am a terrible swimmer so a professional would need to teach them to do it right!! Also not many people have a pool! But everyone can find a flat pavement and balance their kid on a bike!! It's just laziness imo! If someone has a disability that prevents it fair enough but otherwise I think it's a bit much!!

Thefitfatty Tue 21-Feb-17 11:28:41

Actually, thinking about it, my DS is totally against learning to ride his bike, and the little boy across the street (who he idolizes) knows how to ride his...maybe I should give him a 20 to teach DS.....I may have solved my problem! grin

Chelazla Tue 21-Feb-17 11:30:35

These replies are going to make me rich! £30 per hour technical spoon operator instructor! DM me for detailsgrin

Chelazla Tue 21-Feb-17 11:32:27

Cream isn't that part of raising said family though! When your child is finally potty trained the sense of triumph is actually quite disproportionate to the achievement!! I felt like I'd climbed a mountain or somethinggrin

DJBaggySmalls Tue 21-Feb-17 11:34:01

Jaw on floor.
I can house train any dog. My record is 4 hours. I'm in the wrong fucking business.

Cosmicglitterpug Tue 21-Feb-17 11:34:24

Maybe they've tried and not had any success. Sometimes children learn better from non family members. Is the 2k like an intensive week?

megletthesecond Tue 21-Feb-17 11:36:10

I looked into paying for bike riding lessons for DS. He took over two years to figure it out and I couldn't think what else to do. Luckily it closed a few weeks later but I had already contacted someone who could help if needed.

Chelazla Tue 21-Feb-17 11:36:32

Yes £2000 and trained in a week, she comes with a book and puppets and everything!!!confused bargain!!!

LaContessaDiPlump Tue 21-Feb-17 11:38:07

Bloody hell, that's a lot. Mind you, DH and nursery between them toilet-trained our kids and I don't feel remotely upset to have missed it grin

ComtesseDeSpair Tue 21-Feb-17 11:38:18

I can't ride a bike and have no idea how I'd teach somebody else to. Comparison with swimming seems reasonable.

A lot of child-rearing is drudgery, isn't it, particularly potty training. However much parent bloggers try to flog this sort of stuff as bringing meaning to your life or being "a blessing". I really can't get worked up at the idea of outsourcing it.

RJnomore1 Tue 21-Feb-17 11:38:25

My friend taught my dds to ride a bike.

I did potty training myself but I'd happily have outsourced it if there had been an option.

None of that's really"parenting" as such is it?

PointxTaken Tue 21-Feb-17 11:38:43

I haven't seen the program, but you could say the same for everything. Sleep training, holidays clubs (as in holiday creches and clubs in a holiday resort), I can't think of all the many examples where some parents will manage themselves whilst others pay someone else, but they are endless.

I just wish I had enough money to consider the options. As long as everybody is happy, I can't see the harm in it.

karalime Tue 21-Feb-17 11:39:08

Maybe they can't ride a bike themselves and so would not know where to start? Their parents may never have taught them so they don't want their own kids to miss out.

Cosmicglitterpug Tue 21-Feb-17 11:40:14

2k does seem steep. I get why you might book bike lessons though. To me it's like tennis or swimming lessons.
And drudgery is the word. Why not pay others to do this stuff if you can.

arethereanyleftatall Tue 21-Feb-17 11:42:57

Yabu. Maybe they're Paying to potty train because the have loads of money, don't want shit on their floor, and want to go out as a family without having t think about nappies and accidents.
No problem whatsoever if it's not for you, but I don't think it's too difficult to realise it might suit some families.

Chelazla Tue 21-Feb-17 11:44:47

Maybe I'm wrong! I just think, for me anyway, riding a bike is one of the special things!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now