Advanced search

To ask what the chances of Hospital care

(20 Posts)
User100600 Mon 20-Feb-17 22:07:38

My 22 year old dd has a Bmi of 15.6 and has had anarexia for about a year now. She's had general hospitals for Iv drips. I was wondering when it might get to the point where they might section her. She won't go for bloods or by weighed by the community team.

dottycat123 Mon 20-Feb-17 22:18:30

Has she seen anyone from your eating disorders (distress) team? If she is refusing to engage with anyone then a mental health act assessment can be requested by her GP or even you (assuming you are nearest relative) . I work in mental health but not specifically eating distress. As a general rule a BMI of 14 is likely to require inpatient care.

MollyHuaCha Mon 20-Feb-17 22:23:01

14? That's shocking it needs to be so low.
OP: flowers for you and yr daughter.

User100600 Mon 20-Feb-17 22:24:32

She's under both eating disorder service and General cmht for her depression.

dottycat123 Mon 20-Feb-17 22:39:29

I would start to raise questions with her eating distress team about her capacity to continue to refuse intervention, make them aware that you are so concerned you think she may require sectioning. Ask what their next plan is and at what point they implement it.

UnbornMortificado Mon 20-Feb-17 22:41:11

Hospitalisation saved my life but inpatient places are so hard to get especially lately with all the MH cuts.

I don't know the criteria when it comes to ED's but I know a hospital which has a separate ward dealing with those issues if your anywhere in the NE.

I'm sorry it sounds horrendous for all involved flowers

dottycat123 Mon 20-Feb-17 22:59:04

Even if your local mental health trust doesn't have its own inpatient unit for eating distress they will have a system for purchasing beds if needed from an area with a unit. I do think if you start to raise issues around mental capacity and have they assessed this around her refusal to engage there will be a response from services. Also say you want your concerns around this documented in her notes.

UnbornMortificado Mon 20-Feb-17 23:18:07

Is going in voluntary an option when under 18?

dottycat123 Tue 21-Feb-17 06:30:12

Yes, voluntary admission is preferable but has the potential to result in a mental health act assessment whilst there if an Individual refuses treatment and is at risk.

UnbornMortificado Tue 21-Feb-17 08:50:17

I don't know if it varies as a only have personal hospital experience but when I was in "voluntary" it wasn't voluntary. If I'd refused treatment I would of been sectioned they pretty much told me so.

I don't know if that's standard.

I really hope you can get get some help User

User100600 Tue 21-Feb-17 10:08:22

I just feel like they don't really care until she's going to be so ill that her organs fail.

FormerlyFrikadela01 Tue 21-Feb-17 10:13:17

It's not that they don't care. It's all down to money I'm Afraid. I spent a few weeks with the ED team as a student and the thresholds for inpatient intervention was shockingly low. Especially if your trust doesn't have it own beds and try have to buy from out of area.
I hope your DD gets help soon. flowers

User100600 Tue 21-Feb-17 13:02:37

Out trust has beds

dottycat123 Tue 21-Feb-17 18:26:24

You may have to be more forceful with the team's looking after her. Your eating distress team and cmht will both have psychiatrists within them. I would ask the eating distress team for an urgent review by the specialist psychiatrist if daughter refuses say you want the review to take place as a mental health act assessment. If you have no response to this contact the duty AMPH and say you are requesting mental health act assessment yourself as no professionals are listening.

User100600 Tue 21-Feb-17 20:46:33

Thank you I will do. She is just getting worse by the day.

WayfaringStranger Tue 21-Feb-17 21:34:17

How difficult for you. flowers NHS eating disorder services are abysmal. Is she engaging with the teams, does she go to her appts?

User100600 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:37:50

No she doesn't. She did when she was a higher Bmi.

UnbornMortificado Thu 23-Feb-17 12:05:16

Has there been any improvement User?

I think improvement may be the wrong word but any better engagement and such?

User100600 Thu 23-Feb-17 20:29:45

No in fact she looks like she's lost weight..

UnbornMortificado Thu 23-Feb-17 21:38:14

Oh god, I wish I had some decent advice to give you User flowers

The only thing I could think of was could the crisis team do anything?

Again I wouldn't have a clue if they deal with ED's they have hospitalised me (voluntarily) in the past but that was suicidal intent.

I can't believe with an ED how Ill someone has to be before hospital is an option.

No doubt you know this already but I found some numbers relating to disordered eating on the MIND website.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: