Talk

Advanced search

Baby shower

(11 Posts)
pinkberry7258 Mon 20-Feb-17 20:02:59

Hi all I'm just looking for a little advice. My friend told me a while back she and another friend were planning a baby shower for me. To be honest I was overwhelmed as I wasn't expecting it. I told her I didn't want anything big just low key and I'd only be thinking of a few close friends maybe in a tea room or something so no one was out of pocket financially. So fast forward a month on neither of my friends seem that bothered anymore about organising it, one can't even come now and the other wants to hold it midweek when all the other girls I'd be inviting would be working. WIBU to just cancel the whole idea and say I'm busy at the moment with work and trying to get organised? It was due to happen next week but everything has been left for me to organise. I was never planning on having a baby shower in the first place so now I feel cheeky trying to organise one for myself now. I'm due in 4 weeks

Magzmarsh Mon 20-Feb-17 20:07:15

I'd just quietly drop it and pretend they never mentioned it. I've only ever been to one and thought it was the most ridiculous idea in Christendom. I'm very happy to buy baby gifts for good friends, I don't need some daft themed party to make me.

meditrina Mon 20-Feb-17 20:07:46

It is really, really grabby to host your own shower (as it's short for 'shower with gifts' so if you do it for yourself it means 'gimme')

So if they aren't going to do it properly (pity, after they started all this rolling) it is perfectly OK to decline to organise it yourself and let the whole thing drop quietly.

RuggerHug Mon 20-Feb-17 20:39:18

Just don't do it.

Just cancel it

RainbowsAndUnicorn Mon 20-Feb-17 20:49:06

Just don't mention it and if they do say you've changed your mind.

Baby showers are tacky and grabby, even worse if the mother organises.

icy121 Mon 20-Feb-17 20:56:05

Agree with those above. But good for you for not wanting one!!

pinkberry7258 Tue 21-Feb-17 00:16:28

Thanks all for your advice. The girls in work are throwing me a little tea party which we do as tradition ft all the mammies going on maternity leave so I look forward to that as (I'm not supposed to know about it ) grinand my husband has a night away booked for us with spa treatments so I'm already been really spoilt rotten as it is.

Hisstory Tue 21-Feb-17 00:53:25

A tea party for the mammies sounds grand. grin wink 👶🏼👶🏼👶🏼👶🏼👶🏼

I agree with everyone else that you should cancel the baby shower.

FartnissEverbeans Tue 21-Feb-17 07:05:14

I think they're nice. I live abroad and it's a bit of a thing amongst the Westerners here - women tend to organize them for their friends. It's lovely because it shows support for people whose families are often thousands of miles away.

Now that fewer people have christenings it seems like a nice way to mark a major life event - certainly much more important than a birthday - with a party, presents, good friends and nice food. I hope they become more popular TBH.

FartnissEverbeans Tue 21-Feb-17 07:06:11

And OP, I agree that you should just quietly let it drop. The thought was there, but they probably shouldn't have told you until it was a sure thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now