Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask for advice for dd?

(5 Posts)
Tinabn Mon 20-Feb-17 18:52:01

DD is nearly 24 and did a law conversion after a degree in history. She has had two jobs as a paralegal, one was temporary and the other has been a year, but, she doesn't enjoy the area she is in- property- and the firm and her are parting, she now has over a year's experience and a good reference but she doesn't know what to do.
What can you do with her qualifications?

WhoisthisHans Mon 20-Feb-17 18:55:03

Depends. Legal career wise, If she wants to be a barrister, apply for pupilages that will fund the BPTC. If she wants to be a solicitor, apply for training contracts and they'll fund the LPC. Both of these paths are massively over applied for and she'd have to be pretty sure she wanted to follow either of these routes. Self funding either course is £12k-15k.
For now, I would suggest she paralegals in a different firm and a different department. See if that makes it clearer to her where she wants to go next?

Tinabn Mon 20-Feb-17 19:29:11

She is pretty miserable at the moment, I think the parting of the ways was a jump before you are pushed job. She doesn't seem to be wildly ambitious, we were going to fund her LPC over 2 years but she needed surgery, put it on hold.
I don't think she enjoys law, she likes the routine, but she really hasn't a clue as to what else she could do.

SaintsFever Mon 20-Feb-17 19:40:34

Many many things. I've been in her shoes and right now the world looks bleak but she's done 2 courses that have loads of transferable skills to most jobs and industries. I have a law degree and my LPC however I know work in complaints within the financial sector total shift but I've it. I would recommend listing the skills she has and then seeing what jobs or careers call for it gives her an idea of how much is out there for her.

Tinabn Mon 20-Feb-17 19:57:23

Thanks for this, she has so many skills, but she always seems to take the scenic route to what she wants, god knows she's had to show resilience! She manages to combine anxiety with stubbornness and would be furious if she knew I was on mumsnet - but I really don't know what to do. Am currently being positive and helping with resignation letter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now