Talk

Advanced search

To think my work are really crap and I should probably just walk out the door?

(13 Posts)
Upduffered Mon 20-Feb-17 18:47:14

Overview : I work in the hospitality industry for a large company. My contracted role states supervisor yet I am currently acting as manager as the general manager left while they search for a new manager. I am the current boss of the site, yet there has been no written notice of this nor a new contract. I am also on hourly pay. I currently work 45 hours week and have a two year old DD who is in nursery two and a half day a week. I have 70 hours of holiday I cannot take due to staffing levels. I have been able to work as much as I do because DD's father and I are separated and she stays there two days a week. This changes soon as he is moving and cannot tell me when he can have her. My partner works for the NHS and his shifts are very incompatible with childcare.

I am at my wits end. I am working 5 days a week and when I am not working, there is still work to be done ( Rotas/paperwork/ordering etc). I didn't agree to be the manager, it was just put on me. I am exhausted, feeling physically sick at the thought of going to work every day and my anxiety attacks which I have not had for 6 months have returned. I feel like I am compromising myself as a parent by working so much and I never signed up for this in the first place. Am I within my rights to request an hours reduction given I am on a 0 hours contract? What I want to do is work when she is in nursery ( which totals 30 hours a week over 3 days) plus the occasional weekend, so still full time. I'm literally pulling my hair out over all of this and I just want it all to go away.

fiorentina Mon 20-Feb-17 18:54:40

Have you spoken to someone more senior about your concerns to see if a solution can be found. Presumably you are being paid for all the hours you work but it doesn't sound ideal. Does your current contract say when hours/days you should be available to work?

Upduffered Mon 20-Feb-17 18:57:04

I have spoken to my operations manager but was told that she was 'working on it' - this was prior to my only supervisor handing his notice in and her response to his doing that was minimal.

My contract does not stipulate days or hours required at all. I am being paid for my hours but the pay does not reflect the work load I am doing and no amount of money is worth my current lack of sanity and the levels of anxiety I have.

fiorentina Mon 20-Feb-17 19:03:37

I think you either speak to them again and state when you can and cannot work or you find another role where they are better staffed and your stress and anxiety can be reduced. It seems they have an issue with staff retention generally so there must be a reason so many people are leaving? Can you tidy up your CV and start looking around?

TheMysteriousJackelope Mon 20-Feb-17 19:03:37

Would it be possible to hire a temp to take over low level work in your department so that you can delegate some of your tasks to more experienced employees?

Upduffered Mon 20-Feb-17 19:08:17

The only experienced employee has just handed in his notice and leaves in two weeks. When he goes, I am the only one trained to cash handle and open/close.

It seems to be a theme in the company; work people so much that they break and then get a new one - I genuinely feel very broken. I am looking for new jobs and sending an email this evening re working hours but given the lack of support up until now, I am not optimistic. I was told last week not to try getting signed off either as there's ' no one else to do your job'.

I just feel so stuck.

Lazyafternoon Mon 20-Feb-17 19:24:32

Give then an ultimatum. Tell them that from next month you are only able to work the hours you have child care for, the 2 1/2 days plus weekends or whatever. Are they able to accept it or not? That letter is either notification of your ability to reduced hours or your resignation. You simply won't be available any more hours any more.

Unfortunately I doubt your work will do anything about it unless you force the issue. It seems they don't care enough about you personally to have done anything so far so you might have to walk away.

I hope you find something else xxx

PassTheWineAndFags Mon 20-Feb-17 19:57:34

Screw that, they can't argue a doctors note. If you hand one in signing you off for a fortnight the company will not go bust. I was in a job lile this, thought I'd signed my soul over when I signed my contract. They drove me to the edge of a breakdown but didn't appreciate me. When you are stuck in a situation like this you can't see the wood for the tree's. When this time has passed you will wonder why you suffered so long. Imagine the person you love most in the world was going through the same, I am sure you would tell them to put themselves first. This work place will not care if you break. Imagine this, if you had an accident and broke your leg and could not work then they would carry on. I am stunned they told you not to try and get signed off, they know they are pushing you. Stuff like this grips my shit. Your mental health is not worth this level of crap. If you are zero hours do you have to give notice?

Run. Run for your life. You so obviously don not want to be there and unless quitting causes you to be homeless or starve do it. You are worth so much more flowers

Upduffered Mon 20-Feb-17 20:13:05

I do have to give notice, 4 weeks to be exact as I've been there almost 4 years. It's a week plus a week for every year you have worked there which fills me with dread also.

I don't even know if they would sign me off. I've never been signed off before so I don't really know how it works.

NotTheFordType Mon 20-Feb-17 20:19:41

If you cannot cope, your doctor will sign you off. Your sick pay will be calculated against the average number of hours you have worked per day over the last 12 weeks. (Or should be per law for 0 hours contracts.)

If your contract says "No company sick pay scheme" then you'll get SSP which is about £60 per week. So check your employment terms before going down this road.

"I was told last week not to try getting signed off either as there's ' no one else to do your job'."

Interesting and could amount to constructive dismissal.

Is there a union you could join? Union membership is usually pretty cheap but brings a host of advantages, including free advice as it applies to employment law.

They do sound utterly crap and if you're at the end of your endurance and you think you can get something else easily, then just walk.

NotTheFordType Mon 20-Feb-17 20:21:00

I do have to give notice, 4 weeks to be exact as I've been there almost 4 years.

Bear in mind that they can't force you to work this. The most they can do is withold any untaken holiday pay. It sounds like things are that bad that it's not worth hanging on like this. If you get offered another job to start in 2 weeks then I'd bloody take it and wave goodbye to the untaken holiday.

PassTheWineAndFags Mon 20-Feb-17 20:23:05

I think if you walked into a doctors office and just unleashed your emotions, had a cry, and said your work was extremely stressful and you can't get leave they would offer up a sick note. Or ask for one, say you need 2 weeks off for your mental health. Then if you feel sick at the prospect of returning get another note and resign. The two can run concurrently. Then it wouldn't affect your CV as you can just say you resigned due to insufficient child care or another excuse. Can you leave without it majorly impacting financially?

mickeysminnie Mon 20-Feb-17 20:41:29

If you are on a zero hour contract can't you just refuse the hours?
Hand in your notice and then refuse all other hours?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now