Advanced search

AIBU to ask for a night on my own in a hotel for my birthday?

(65 Posts)
Collienova Mon 20-Feb-17 18:18:42

My husband thinks it's 'weird', but I've got my 40th birthday coming up and I'll be 25 weeks pregnant. I don't want a big party or a night out watching everyone getting p****d. All I ask for is a night away on my own in a little hotel (maybe with a spa) so I don't feel tempted to do stuff at home even if I was child free. I'm an introvert and everything's been very full on. I just need to recharge (on my own). My husband's an extrovert and he recharges by spending time with friends and family or going out. Is my request really that strange?!?

DorcasthePuffin Mon 20-Feb-17 18:20:11

God, that sounds wonderful. What a brilliant idea.

HarperValleyHypocrite Mon 20-Feb-17 18:20:50

YANBU at all this is like my top fantasy! It's your special birthday you should spend it how you like.

acquiescence Mon 20-Feb-17 18:21:52

Sounds absolutely amazing.
Although I suppose maybe he wants to come too? Do you have childcare for any other children?

BaggyCheeks Mon 20-Feb-17 18:23:07

That sounds amazing. I'd do that tomorrow if I could get away with it.

redfairy Mon 20-Feb-17 18:23:35

YANBU. I have asked for this for my 50th. I want to dine alone then go and spend the night in a fabulous hotel room with a huge box of chocolates. Just the luxury of waking up without children, husband and dog will be heaven.

CoraPirbright Mon 20-Feb-17 18:23:35

When I had little ones, this was my favourite number one fantasy!! I even had it planned down to timings for swimming, steam room etc. Do it!! And report back about how wonderful it was!!

2014newme Mon 20-Feb-17 18:23:46

No its fine.

PerspicaciaTick Mon 20-Feb-17 18:23:54

I did this for my 35th birthday. It was awesome. I only went about 3 miles from home but I had room service and watched some crap TV and slept. Bliss.

MooPointCowsOpinion Mon 20-Feb-17 18:25:04

Oh my god it sounds like heaven.

FiveGoMadInDorset Mon 20-Feb-17 18:25:13

I did it a few years ago but asked for two, was the best time ever, I am not a spa person but went to Oxford with birthday money and some serious bookshops to peruse and then an afternoon with wine and reading

Collienova Mon 20-Feb-17 18:25:20

We have a nearly five year old and he would be with her while I'm away. I might just add that I'm planning to go out for dinner with my husband on my actual birthday while grandma and grandad babysit. I do want to spend some time with him as well (just not with anyone for one night)... Dinner, spa snd I may read a book from cover to cover - lol

IveAlreadyPaid Mon 20-Feb-17 18:26:00

Sounds lovely smile

Unfortunately when I try to tell my dh I would like some time alone all he hears is "I don't want to spend time with you" Constantly trying to explain but he doesn't get it!sad

DorcasthePuffin Mon 20-Feb-17 18:26:44

You don't want dh to come, that would completely ruin it shock

SouthernNorthernGirl Mon 20-Feb-17 18:26:51

Oh, this sounds wonderful. I've been wishing I could do it all week actually. Just one night.
Please do it, and let us know how it went (seriously)

Wonder if I can get away asking for this for mothers day

Craftylittlething Mon 20-Feb-17 18:27:40

Sounds utterly blissful, enjoy!

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Mon 20-Feb-17 18:27:41

It's fine go and enjoy but I think the going out with your DH for a meal as planned near the time is nice too

Bubblysqueak Mon 20-Feb-17 18:29:20

Please do it and then mn all night so we can all live vicariously through you!

NavyandWhite Mon 20-Feb-17 18:31:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SecretWitch Mon 20-Feb-17 18:33:29

I did this the year I had two children under the age of two. I checked in, ordered a room service dinner then spent hours in the tub, reading and having wine. Nobody was outside the door yelling "MUMMY MUMMY MUMMY" I slept by myself on beautiful bedding, no snores or late night potty trips. It was bliss..

I hope you do it,Op. It was lovely.

TheLivingAsheth Mon 20-Feb-17 18:37:23

When my children were younger I used to fantasise about doing this all the time. Go do it. My fantasy hotel was like the castle in Beauty and the Beast, but without the beast - food would appear, there would be lovely gardens and things left out for my amusement- books, music, etc - and nobody else there at all!

Bonkerz Mon 20-Feb-17 18:37:42

Sounds perfect. Me and a few girl friends have booked ourself into the local (4 miles away) hotel for 2 nights. We plan to do face masks and wine Friday night. Spa Saturday and bingo Saturday night!

Nectarines Mon 20-Feb-17 18:38:14

This is exactly what I want for my birthday this year. It's not for a while yet. Also I'm not pregnant, just knackered!

I'm fantasising about it now. Dinner for one. Nice few glasses of wine. A bath, all by myself with nobody coming in to ask where stuff is or to go to the toilet etc. A book. A whole night of gorgeous uninterrupted sleep then a nice shower and get dressed for a big hot breakfast. Bliss!!

girlelephant Mon 20-Feb-17 18:39:04

I think it sounds like a lovely way to recharge! Plus you are celebrating with your DH too separately so sounds perfect.

sycamore54321 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:39:59

Sounds perfect for an introvert. If your family want to spoil you on the day of your birthday itself, a good compromise would be to have your night away the weekend before or after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now