Talk

Advanced search

To be worried about Shigellosis??

(24 Posts)
Ames33 Mon 20-Feb-17 17:51:42

I am seriously emetophobic, I won't go into it as I have talked about it before on here and it's a boring story.
AIBU to worry about this 'highly infectious illness that is sweeping uk schools'? Is it? Or are the newspapers just having a slow news day? I've seen reports in various newspapers about this bug over the last few weeks but to be fair, most of the articles are carbon copies of each other! And the only place I've seen it's confirmed is in Stoke.
Is it all over the UK?
I'm worried to send DS to nursery in case he catches it (ridiculous I know!)
Argh, I don't even know what I'm asking! Has anyone had it? Is it awful?
Also, how often are your kids actually ill with these sorts of things??
Sorry it's a bit jumbled, in a bit if an anxious state at the moment!

measles64 Mon 20-Feb-17 17:55:10

If your children go to nursery and have not suffered with the D&V bug I am impressed. The other bug is so rare by comparison.

Ames33 Mon 20-Feb-17 17:56:59

Oh he has, and I dealt ok with it. It's the anticipation that I can't handle very well!

littleoldladywho Mon 20-Feb-17 17:57:13

Mostly it's diarrhoea? Why would being an emetophobe be relevant? Mine used to get d or v a few times a year. It's one of those parenting things I'm afraid.

Wishforsnow Mon 20-Feb-17 17:58:46

Not heard or seen anything about this bug so maybe not widespread

littleoldladywho Mon 20-Feb-17 17:59:18

Maybe it's time to seek treatment for your phobia and anxiety? Otherwise it will affect your ds's life - so better now than wait until you are already withdrawing him from school etc?

MatildaTheCat Mon 20-Feb-17 18:02:45

I know two adults, unrelated, who have had nasty stomach bugs in the last week. Oddly nobody else in their families were affected. Hard to say exactly what the big is unless a stool specimen is sent.

They've both recovered now.

measles64 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:03:07

It is difficult waiting for those 48 hours whatever. Grandson had it all over my sitting floor recently, which I cleaned up then all over the car when Mummy took him home. Parents then both had it. I avoided it. I had son who had it on another occasion recently clean ups needed. Just do a double deep clean as I was taught by a housekeeper in a nursing home and you should be ok.

SandysMam Mon 20-Feb-17 18:03:32

I know exactly how you feel OP...I have a serious phobia of having a blocked nose, triggers horrendous panic attacks for weeks after and dreams of suffocation. I know however I will get a cold, just as you will get D&V at some point. My hands are so dry from constant washing trying to prevent viruses and no one really understands why I'm so afraid of a simple cold.
Hope you manage to get your anxiety under control, nothing useful to say about this particular bug (no one will be able to give you the reassurance you seek) but just wanted to say you you are not alone flowers

Ames33 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:04:52

Believe me, I'm getting treatment and have tried many different sorts over the years. I'm trying my best to not let it ruin my child's life and have decided not to have any more children because of it, so please don't think I take it lightly.
I didn't realise it was more diarrhoea, so apologies about that.

AlexanderHamilton Mon 20-Feb-17 18:10:51

I'm an emetophobe. I'm also in Stoke!

As far as I'm aware though it's only affected one junior school (plus a feeder infants/nursery). There have been normal sickness bugs going round elsewhere though

It's half term this week so hopefully that may break the cycle.

PutTheBunnyBackInTheBox Mon 20-Feb-17 18:12:11

Mostly it's diarrhoea? Why would being an emetophobe be relevant?

The op has a phobia. The definition of phobia is an 'irrational' fear, so you really can't rationalise it!

Op I have the same and it's hard to deal with especially as so many people don't understand it. When DC were younger if they got sick I had to call my mum to get them. And I would pat their heads at arms length saying "it's ok" while trying not to panicsad It made me feel like an awful mum.

You can get help for this, ask your GP as things like CBT are very helpful.

Talith Mon 20-Feb-17 18:12:31

I have two with d and V right now . Poo samples went in today.

Getting two poo and two weeks samples extracted from weak and watery tearful children at 8am this morning was not fun.

Whether it is or not Shigellosis won't make much difference. Similar duration to any other winter gastric nasty and will clear in a week or so.

My house is a house of pain right now for sure!!

It is part of parenting but doesn't stop it being vile even without phobias. Nothing much to offer as solace but hope in time you feel able to manage it better as I can only imagine how stressful it must be on top of the worry about the children.

gleam Mon 20-Feb-17 18:13:05

measles64 - what do you mean by a double deep clean, exactly?

measles64 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:53:32

Gleam - in a perfect world there would be two of you. OK. Put on the rubber gloves, clean every light switch, door handle in the house plus anything the patient may have touched. In the bathroom, loo, sink, taps, handles, floor. Then start all over again as if you had not just done it, with clean water cloths etc. the theory being if the first person missed something, the second person would wipe it down. Use ordinary bleach in the water rather than wet wipey things. Keep doing it every time someone has to use the bathroom if others use it or is ill elsewhere. Do not clean up with hot water that spreads the spores apparently. There are some advice notes on google.

Supermagicsmile Mon 20-Feb-17 19:05:28

I had it last week (not sure if you saw my posts!) vomiting wise it was only once but the upset stomach was the most horrendous I have ever known. 40 times in less than 2 days shock although it went on longer than this.
Took a whole week to feel normal again although still struggling with 'proper' size meals now.

Supermagicsmile Mon 20-Feb-17 19:05:46

I bleached everything and none of my family got it!

searchengine Mon 20-Feb-17 21:38:13

I am emetophobic and randomly had this just over a year ago, before it was going around (contracted, I think, from a friend just back from India) It was a week of 'D' but no 'V'. Unfortunately, the first night I was in a tent

ItsThatBeverleyMacca Mon 20-Feb-17 22:04:07

Oh OP it's awful isn't it. Massive hand hold. I'm emetophobic too and my anxiety right now is focused on the norovirus. I'm 31 weeks pregnant so terrified if I catch it it'll affect the pregnancy. DS' nursery had it last week and I work with someone who mentioned today that he had it last week. I visibly recoiled and spent today washing my hands and opening doors without using my hands. I work an hour drive from home so also panic I'll get sick at work and have to get myself home.

AwaywiththePixies27 Mon 20-Feb-17 22:21:56

Talith I hope your DCs are better soon flowers

OP. YNBU. I'm dreading my DCs going back this week too. <fellow emataphobe also> . Just nagged at them to keep on top of the hand washing.
A friend of mines' daughters class came down with it the last week before half term. She thinks one of her DCs may have caught it too as they spent the night and morning in the bathroom on the loo. No sick though. One of the other children in the class came down with it. The Mum has been updating on arsebook how poorly x is, but still sent to brownies, kids clubs, church etc. confused Still horrible for all the little ones and others that catch it and all you can do is cross your fingers.

Crunchymum Mon 20-Feb-17 22:38:47

Hi fellow emetophobes!!

Have to say I've not heard of this bug. Hope it's shortlived and doesn't make it to London

Selfish people who send ill kids out to school / parties etc really make me angry.

Ames33 Mon 20-Feb-17 22:39:40

There are so many of us emets aren't there!!
All of those who have had it, are you anywhere near Derbyshire?? 😉
I feel for anyone who has had this, I bloody hate these bugs that go around!!

DoorKnee Mon 20-Feb-17 22:45:59

Another Emet here, this year seems to have been particularly bad for stomach bugs. Its such an awful phobia.

Sprog19 Mon 20-Feb-17 22:59:46

I had shigella years ago after travelling to India. Had bad stomach pain and D but no V. It was definitely all down the other end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now