Talk

Advanced search

To ask how you make new friends after a baby?!

(6 Posts)
pizzafrenchfries Mon 20-Feb-17 17:48:11

Do you have mum friends? If so where did you meet them?

I have a seven month old little boy and I've realized that most of the mums I know aren't really my friends or we don't share the same ideas/have much in common- which wouldn't bother me if it wasn't for the fact that I feel judged a lot of the time!
I'm not really a mothering type- I enjoy having a baby but I'm looking forward to going back to work- a lot of the
Mums I know would berate me if I actually admitted to that. I feel a bit like I can't really be 'me' because that wouldn't really be acceptable?

So- after you had a baby did you meet lots of new friends or did you stick with your old pre-baby ones? We moved just before we had our baby so I've not met many new people and I just wondered how people did it... did you agree with their views on motherhood etc or did it not really
Matter? Just being nosy really!

watchingitallagain Mon 20-Feb-17 18:01:20

I think you've just got to try a few different places. I didn't make a connection with 90% of the mothers I met through a baby group. There wasn't anything wrong with them, we just had very little in common.
I made a small group of friends when my eldest started at the local school nursery and we just all clicked. They're probably some of my closest friends now. I think it was different by the time we were going to nursery- life had got past the hectic newborn stage and people were confident in their own parenting style so there was less competition.
I'd just give it time and be friendly to everyone and you'll find your place soon enough.

HostaFireAndIce Mon 20-Feb-17 18:13:10

No, I felt like you and didn't really make any new friends. I did find that some of my pre-baby friendships changed, some for better, some for worse. I have made a few new friends now my DS has started school and I've got to know some of his classmates' parents.

MuffinMaiden Mon 20-Feb-17 18:40:10

Luckily for me, someone I was friendly with got pregnant 3 months after me. We've become a little closer since as we share interests and can always fall back on the baby chat.

I've never been the friend-making type and I don't know how I'd be with other mums who I didn't actually connect with personally. I feel like other mums can be good for getting all the kid talk out of you so you don't bore your child-free friends though. grin

TeenAndTween Mon 20-Feb-17 18:41:10

We adopted, and my younger one was 2.5 so a bit older than yours. Anyway it was going to toddler groups etc - you meet lots of people. Mainly you'll have nothing in common apart from having a child the same age, but a few you will click with.
Don't know what there is for babies but I expect you can find 'baby massage' 'baby swimming' 'baby music' etc.

Jayfee Mon 20-Feb-17 18:42:49

mums in our street...a couple of existing friends had babies...and play groups.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now