Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To take some beer to a job interview?

(62 Posts)
reallybadidea Mon 20-Feb-17 17:45:46

I have an interview for a new job in a few weeks' time and as part of it I've been asked to do a 10-minute presentation on beer making grin The job is in healthcare, so absolutely nothing to do with the beer industry!

WIBU to take along a few sample of beer for the interview panel and do a mini blind-tasting session, relating the beers in question to the presentation? Or would that be totally bonkers and look really unprofessional?!

MrsJaniceBattersby Mon 20-Feb-17 17:47:42

Do it !
At least they'd remember you

AmserGwin Mon 20-Feb-17 17:47:54

I don't understand why you are giving a presentation about beer making in the first place? How odd

msrisotto Mon 20-Feb-17 17:48:53

The job is in healthcare yet you have to do a presentation on beer. What a piss take.

measles64 Mon 20-Feb-17 17:49:37

I would research small brewers not Heineken type people. Just do what they ask HR are unfathomable these days anyway.

merrychristmasyafilthyanimal Mon 20-Feb-17 17:51:46

Do it! But I would take a couple of samples of non-alcoholic beer to save any awkwardness if one or more of the panel are non drinkers.

They ask such weird things in interviews these days, I had to give a presentation on the day in the life of a potato, odd!

Grilledaubergines Mon 20-Feb-17 17:52:12

Yes do it.

I've heard of this type of interview a few times now. It's to see how you fare on 'thinking outside the box', resourcefulness etc etc.

SaucyJack Mon 20-Feb-17 17:52:55

Are you sure it isn't a typo for bed making?!

Do it then. It's no more bonkers than the presentation topic. You'd have to go full renegade to beat the task.

babyboyHarrison Mon 20-Feb-17 17:54:37

The presentations I like the best have some interaction with the audience so yes. Go for it. They must be looking at your style rather than your knowledge on the subject otherwise they would give you a work related question. I would how ever be sure to include some non-alcoholic beer too. I wouldn't do a blind tasting as they would feel they gave to join in and may not want to at work but definitely samples. Great idea.

Thegirlinthefireplace Mon 20-Feb-17 17:56:06

I think it's a great idea to take samples.

I'm assuming the idea of the presentation is to get an idea of presenting skills in general and the topic of presentation has been chosen based on your declared hobbies/interests?

user46374736663838 Mon 20-Feb-17 17:56:39

I hate up with employers nowadays?

Agree with PP, take in some non alcoholic beer.

Bluntness100 Mon 20-Feb-17 17:58:10

No I wouldn't do it, it makes you look like you think drinking whilst at work is acceptable and there may well be rules about consuming alcohol in that work place. I work for a large corporation in an unrelated field and this would immediately discount uou from getting the job as we would feel uou did not understand proper etiquette on alcohol in the office environment. We would also all say no thanks as an interview panel and not consume alcohol whilst at work. In addition what happens if an alcoholic on the panel.

For me you're falling into a huge trap which will count you out of getting the job, you will be however memorable as the fool who brought booze in and expected the panel to drink it whilst doing their jobs.

HerOtherHalf Mon 20-Feb-17 17:58:35

Is the interview with the NHS? If so, make it relevent and tell them you brought samples but had to leave them on a trolley in the corridor.

AndShesGone Mon 20-Feb-17 17:59:13

A lot of employers ban alcohol drinking in working hours

It might backfire blushgrin

maddiemookins16mum Mon 20-Feb-17 17:59:19

Yes, especially ones with unusual names/flavours.
I did a presentation once on Jerusalem (it was a travel related role). I lit an frankinsence insence stuck (this was the 90's by the way), and took some Jewish bread from a bakery). I got the job.

The80sweregreat Mon 20-Feb-17 17:59:39

No, just do the presentation. No beer at all.

TheProblemOfSusan Mon 20-Feb-17 18:00:21

I think I'd take only non-alcoholic beer actually - you can use it as a prop and say you were worried they might have no drink at work rules (healthcare totally might have) but wanted to demonstrate the difference in quality between mass produced and craft beer. Then have them taste a Bavaria vs a Nanny State.

TheProblemOfSusan Mon 20-Feb-17 18:01:12

Sorry, pressed post on post soon! Non alcoholic shows awareness of professional norms but that got understand how to make a presentation more fun.

Crumbs1 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:03:09

No be relatively mainstream at interview presentation- it's likely to be a competency based assessment and amusing/memorable is unlikely to be on that competency list. Go impact of beer industry on health - cost of beer to NHS - illnesses associated with beer making (brewers lung/serious accidents/alcoholism maybe.

Bluntness100 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:04:17

I agree, you can do it with non alcoholic beers and point out they are non alcoholic due to clear work place etiquette requirements. That would work.

RebootYourEngine Mon 20-Feb-17 18:05:25

I am so glad that i dont have to do job interviews anymore. Did anyone read about the TGI Friday interview? Someone was asked something like would they rather watch their parents having sex or join in. What a disgusting question.

reallybadidea Mon 20-Feb-17 18:12:06

I understand the points about drinking at work. Maybe a compromise would be to have something to spit the beer into like at a wine-tasting so that the panel don't have to swallow.

Rhayader Mon 20-Feb-17 18:16:32

DH was asked to bring samples of his homebrew to a final round interview. It came up in a second round interview as it's one of his "hobbies" on his CV. He didn't bring any because he didn't have any that was ready as the time, and the final round interview turned out to be a piss up anyway - finished at 2AM!

I would say that you could bring some but don't encourage drinking of it, or even open it. Maybe just to see the colour/clarity. It is highly likely they have a policy against drinking in the office, let them ask to try it before you offer...

PerspicaciaTick Mon 20-Feb-17 18:17:38

I think asking the panel to start spitting into pontoon, then having to dispose of contents of spitoon would probably be a bit embarrassing for the panel and might be additionally stressful for you.

The alternative would be to see if you could get some hops, malt and yeast and getting them sniffing and smelling as you explain the process.

PerspicaciaTick Mon 20-Feb-17 18:17:52

spitoon - not pontoon - sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now