Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why things won't go right

(41 Posts)
oregon1985 Mon 20-Feb-17 17:32:43

I'm not sure if anyone remembers I had a thread a while ago about behind jobless and homeless after a break up. I managed to sort something out, found somewhere to live, got a job. Due to move into new place this week.
I thought things were going ok when I get called into my new managers office and told my store is closing down and I would be out of a job in a month. He had no idea and said he wouldn't have taken me on if he did.
I'm just exhausted by the fact that every time I seem to pick myself up something happens.
I know it's not really an aibu but I don't really have any rl friends and I just feel like I don't have anywhere to let this all out.
I guess aibu to think things have to get better soon?

TheProblemOfSusan Mon 20-Feb-17 17:34:45

Oh that's miserable. I'm sorry it's all been a bit much. On the plus side at least they gave you some notice - jobhunting is miserable though, I feel for you.

oregon1985 Mon 20-Feb-17 17:39:08

I just feel like I'm constantly being kicked down. It's making me miserable. I feel very alone.

chickenowner Mon 20-Feb-17 17:54:32

It should be easier for you to get another job now.

(Trying to look on the bright side for you!)

oregon1985 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:02:35

Before I got this one I handed out and applied for over 30 jobs and I only heard back from this one and one other sad

CondensedMilkSarnies Mon 20-Feb-17 18:06:47

You poor thing Op, life is a bitch sometimes. I don't suppose there's a chance of being redeployed within the company is there ?

I don't know in what capacity you work but if it's retail , I know all the supermarkets are usually looking for staff .

oregon1985 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:33:55

There's no other stores within travelling distance. I'm looking at supermarkets but it's a bit soul destroying when I have a degree that is pretty much useless atm sad
I am in no way putting down that kind of work, it's just I worked my arse off and I'm £45k in debt for nothing right now sad

DavidPuddy Mon 20-Feb-17 18:59:55

Not for nothing, your time will come. It really will. Every job can teach you something. I've also found supermarkets tend to be a nice little community to work in. And, working in retail was always a good workout for me. I got strong unpacking deliveries!

Now I work in a well-paid job that I love; but I never look down on those days.

oregon1985 Mon 20-Feb-17 19:02:49

I've been in retail for 14 years and I thought my degree would be my way out of that and now I have separated from my ex I can't afford to move to somewhere were I can make use of it (not much call for my profession around here) and I just feel so pointless and hopeless and now alone.

eurochick Mon 20-Feb-17 19:31:26

What's the profession you have trained for?

oregon1985 Mon 20-Feb-17 19:36:13

Id rather not say because it's very identifying with everything else Ive said.

ArchNotImpudent Mon 20-Feb-17 19:44:08

How soul-destroying! Could you contact the other company who got back to you from your previous applications? Are retailers the only employers in your area (I'm guessing you live in a small town or village)?

mumofthemonsters808 Mon 20-Feb-17 19:44:18

Ore don't loose faith, iyou've gained something to put on your Cv, keep pushing forwards. It often feels like we are fighting a losing battle and that nothing's simple in this life, but there's something with your name on it.

oregon1985 Mon 20-Feb-17 19:46:20

I know I am trying to get myself out there. I'm just tired, you know? It's just one thing after another and I'm just tired of it sad

Purplepotatoe Mon 20-Feb-17 19:59:04

This is what I did after my degree (I had some prior work experience). Applied for a thousand jobs (slight exaggeration) got absolutely nowhere so tackled my CV like it was full time job, as in I sat and wrote it and re wrote it until it was the best I could make it for 8 hours a day over many days. Used my old university careers help to do this (most alumni will get that) as well as loads of other online resources. Wrote covering letters etc, I looked up jobs I fancied and used the job descriptions to make my CV 'fit' and then rather than applying for jobs, I posted myself online (I won't say where as it will sound like I'm advertising! But there are a number of sites you can do this) then I had recruiters coming to me. I see so many badly written CV's in my job now, this may well be what's holding you back and you might need to widen your net but your degree/debt from it will never be for nothing! As for things not going right, that sucks, life can be so harsh, but how you handle your downs is directly relative to the 'ups' later on. x

oregon1985 Mon 20-Feb-17 20:03:57

There are zero opertunities in this area for what I want to do, since me and ex dp broke up I can't afford to move out of the area so retail is my only option sad and even I can't get interviews for that it seems (I will re look at my cv)
Getting this job was the first good thing that happened in so long and that was taken away too.

oregon1985 Mon 20-Feb-17 20:04:31

This job was in retail but I quite enjoyed it because it was at least in an area of retail I slightly enjoyed.

ArchNotImpudent Mon 20-Feb-17 20:10:33

Your present manager might be able to help you make the best of your CV in terms of highlighting retail-desirable skills - sounds like he feels sorry you've been put in this position, so worth asking if he could spare the time to review it with you.

oregon1985 Mon 20-Feb-17 20:14:27

I just thought things were going ok. I've had a terrible year so far. I feel so alone and at least I had work. I have horrible anxiety so I have to really push myself to get out there when it comes to interviews and stuff. It's exhausting and now I have to do it all over again.

RandomMess Mon 20-Feb-17 20:14:58

flowers

Do you actually need to stay in this area? Could you move somewhere completely different if you did get a jo there?

What a rubbish situation for you to be in sad

oregon1985 Mon 20-Feb-17 20:16:13

I don't have enough money to move. I've just put my deposit down for the place I'm moving into this week, I have enough for one months rent and that's all I have.

PovertyJetset Mon 20-Feb-17 20:19:51

It is exhausting and it is really hard. You're even got to feel the way you do.

Something will come up and you'll round this corner. flowers

ArchNotImpudent Mon 20-Feb-17 20:20:30

You were successful in getting your present job, which is ending for reasons beyond your control - the interviews might perhaps be easier now you have some recent experience to draw on.

CondensedMilkSarnies Mon 20-Feb-17 20:21:05

I agree with making your CV fit a job description.

Eg If you now go for a more IT role you need to wring out every last drop of computer stuff that you did in the retail job, including names of systems used etc.

If you go for a customer relations role play up the interaction with customers , sorting out their complaints , building a rapport with them .

BettyBaggins Mon 20-Feb-17 20:38:59

flowers

What a bunch of arse our low times can be sometimes. I totally empathise with your exhaustion and feeling alienated by it all, it's not easy starting over I know.

Do ask your current boss if he can help give your cv a look over as Arch wisely suggested, get your updated cv out there asap, have a look in other retail windows for job vacancies, save as many pennies as you can and hang on in there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now