Talk

Advanced search

To think depression is an inevitable side effect of trauma counselling?

(7 Posts)
user1480954406 Mon 20-Feb-17 16:56:24

I'm currently going through counselling for historic child sex exploitation, and I'm feeling really really rubbish. It's really raised feelings of worthlessness which I'm struggling to deal with a bit. I'm coping but suffering and my oh said he thinks if im feeling like this I should go to the Drs and ask for ads, but my counsellor said it will likely get worse before it gets better, and I feel a bit like the whole point of counselling was to confront these feelings and the trauma.

So looking for advice really. And a bit of a handhold. I have so much to be happy about in my life and I hate that this is still affecting me. I don't know even if it's worth stopping the counselling?

I just think having a low mood is a rational emotional response to trauma and not a mental illness; so not really a matter for the dr? Or would they help me get through the counselling (I'm week 4 put of 24 sessions).

lljkk Mon 20-Feb-17 17:02:31

ADs don't stop you confronting & feeling difficult feelings, they just help you not be paralyzed by those feelings. ADs compliment, not hinder the healing process. flowers

originalbiglymavis Mon 20-Feb-17 17:11:18

Don't stop. I think maybe the councillor meant that you will have good days and bad days - sometimes you start with more bad days than good, but this will tip and you will have more good than bad.

Counseling is not a magic wand - it guides you back on to the right groove. Maybe you just do the have the right tools in your kit bag to help you cope and are going too fast?

Speak to your councillor. Tell him/her exactly what you think and feel. If you aren't happy with them, then ask to be referred. Not every councillor or therapist is a 'right fit' for the patient.

Hang in there - you've already taken the biggest step by starting.

originalbiglymavis Mon 20-Feb-17 17:12:03

Don't stop. I think maybe the councillor meant that you will have good days and bad days - sometimes you start with more bad days than good, but this will tip and you will have more good than bad.

Counseling is not a magic wand - it guides you back on to the right groove. Maybe you just do the have the right tools in your kit bag to help you cope and are going too fast?

Speak to your councillor. Tell him/her exactly what you think and feel. If you aren't happy with them, then ask to be referred. Not every councillor or therapist is a 'right fit' for the patient.

Hang in there - you've already taken the biggest step by starting.

Froglette16 Mon 20-Feb-17 17:17:25

What type of therapy are you in? Cognitive Behavioural Therapy worked wonders for my PTSD. It teaches you how to view things in a safe and different way. If you're not doing it already ask for a CBT therapist. I wish you all the best!

Lottapianos Mon 20-Feb-17 17:25:55

Keep at it OP. You're right - feeling depressed is a perfectly normal response to confronting extremely painful experiences from your past. Counselling / therapy involves opening up the big box of pain and working through it. That's seriously tough but ultimately the path to freedom

I took ADs myself for 6 months when I was about 2 years into therapy. The going got seriously tough and I couldn't take the pain any longer. ADs made me feel much more steady. The pain was right there waiting for me when I came off them but I had had a bit of breathing space, was still in therapy and I worked through it.

Feeling pain and sadness don't necessarily mean that you need pills. They can be completely healthy responses to dreadful experiences. Entirely your choice about whether to take Add or not, but keep going with therapy

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Mon 20-Feb-17 17:36:12

Opening up and exploring such difficult memories can often impact on how a client feels it is not unusual to start feeling in a lower mood, panicky, teary, bad dreams etc

Though through therapy you should start to feel better this can take time and is not always straight forward it can be an up and down process but hopefully you can start to draw strength when you do feel down again to know you have managed before and you have felt better

As for ad's that is up to you they might help you manage these feelings but not everyone wants that extra support some people feel they need to confront the pain without them there is no right or wrong way

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now