Talk

Advanced search

Vendee Region in June - anyone been?

(17 Posts)
MGFM Mon 20-Feb-17 15:20:43

I am posting here for traffic.

I have found a great deal with Euro Camp for second week of June in the Vendee region of France. Haven't been on holiday in a few years. Really want some sunshine but don't want to drive too much.

Has anyone been to this area in June? If so what was the weather like?

We are looking at Le Littoral camp.

Thanks

Runworkeatsleeprepeat Mon 20-Feb-17 15:27:38

We've been for Whitsun half term and for 10 days at the end of August both times had pleasant weather mid 20s but not scorchio. If you can drive a couple more hours the charetime maritime region just north of Bordeaux the weather is generally a bit warmer gorgeous beaches etc. Look at lifestyle holidays or select camp same campsites but generally a bit cheaper than eurocamp. Love the West coast of France.

longdiling Mon 20-Feb-17 15:33:31

We did vendee in June 4 years ago. The weather was awful. Cold and wet for the entire 10 days. It was just terrible in a Euro camp tent as we couldn't get anything dry. Apparently that weather is not unusual for that time of year, August is generally better.

MGFM Mon 20-Feb-17 15:41:44

Thanks. DH deploys end of June so we dont have any flexibility regarding time of year. We get 50% discount on Euro Camps though so it works out really reasonable for 10 days. I just want it to be warm enough to use the pools etc.

I might look at a few places a bit further south. Didn't want to drive for more than 4 hours but I guess we could look at 5-6 hours.

Dixiebell Mon 20-Feb-17 15:42:25

We've done Vendee twice. Once in June, weather was warm, sometimes hot, but some rainy days. Second time end of August and it was a washout, rained all week, heavily. This was unusual, I think the week before and after were fine and warm. But it's not guaranteed sunshine. Need to go a few hours further south for that. We were a bit peed off the second time because we had driven 4/5 hours after getting off the ferry, we could have saved ourselves the journey and gone to Brittany for a rainy week.

madeleinecreek Mon 20-Feb-17 15:44:10

We camped in the vendee beginning of last June. First few days were wet and I thought we'd made a terrible mistake (weren't staying on a site with anything to do if the beach wasn't an option!) but then it cleared up and was hot and glorious. I think it's a bit pot luck. I spent a month in the dordogne In August a few years ago and it rained most days, so you can never really plan for the weather!

raspberryrippleicecream Mon 20-Feb-17 15:47:31

We had a gloriously hot week in early June, some years ago.

TreeBandit Mon 20-Feb-17 17:31:25

We've holidays in the Vendee a lot. It's not where I would go for guaranteed sunshine; we've been in most months from February to September and the weather is usually a mixed bag. That said, it's a lovely part of France, which still feels a bit 'undiscovered' and has a lot to offer. But I'm biased smile

TreeBandit Mon 20-Feb-17 17:32:13

*holidayed

TuttiFrutti Mon 20-Feb-17 17:42:55

We went in July a few years ago and had torrential rain for 4 days solid. After that it was quite nice, but I wouldn't risk it again. Apparently the area is known for being rainy - bit like the west coast of Britain.

Having said that, there were some lovely towns and villages. But they won't look so nice in the pouring rain if you're camping.

Boulshired Mon 20-Feb-17 17:54:19

I like vendee but went siblu when we went in June just so we had a mobile home, it did rain but we spend time visiting places in the car so rain no problem.

MGFM Mon 20-Feb-17 18:17:50

We are staying in one of there mobile homes/cabins. The parc has a terrific indoor pool. Might look further south aswell

MGFM Mon 20-Feb-17 18:17:57

Their

Lazyafternoon Mon 20-Feb-17 18:44:28

I spent a summer working as a campsite courier in Vendee back in my Yoof. I remember being a bit disappointed it was basically British summer (some nice days, but not particularly hot and some rain) for first half of the season, then hit August and it got really hot and didn't rain pretty much the whole month. I got an amazing tan, but cleaning tents after 10am was horrible as it got so hot. Hit 1st September and the whole place shut down even supermarkets closed and it started raining constantly for next two weeks.

That was just one summer in late 90's but personally I think of France as pretty much same weather as Britain unless on South coast!

madeleinecreek Mon 20-Feb-17 19:00:43

My friend has started getting the 24 hour ferry to north Spain and going to south France that way

Lovelybangers Mon 20-Feb-17 19:04:08

I went to the Vendee last April. We weren't on the coast though.

The weather was quite nice - sat outside a lot and got a tan. The one day we drove over to the coast at Les Sables D'olonne was cold, windy and wet.

So perhaps inland had the better climate.

PortiaFinis Mon 20-Feb-17 19:06:41

I love the 24 hour ferry to Spain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now