Talk

Advanced search

There is something very weird going on with my feet.

(24 Posts)
EssieTregowan Mon 20-Feb-17 14:46:49

Since last week I've had a painful foot, it hurts to walk so I've been limping slightly. No injury.

For the last couple of days both my feet have been tingly. Not like pins and needles but like a constant buzzing with occasional sharp pain.

I've had to sleep with my feet out of the covers as the pressure of the duvet made me uncomfortable.

When I'm sitting down the tingling extends up my legs.

Wtf is going on? Have I damaged something without realising? I'm a bit apprehensive about going to the GP because I was there three times last week with something going on with my guts and I'm worried I'm going to look like a right hypochondriac complaining about a 'feeling' in my feet.

EssieTregowan Mon 20-Feb-17 14:47:04

Ugh this was meant to be in chat.

Iambubbles86 Mon 20-Feb-17 14:50:40

Are your toes a normal colour?

MichaelSheensNextDW Mon 20-Feb-17 14:53:27

Any visible puffiness/swelling?
What was going on with your guts?
Do you have any underlying health conditions?

GladysKnight Mon 20-Feb-17 14:55:17

I think you should go to the GP anyway.

BarbarianMum Mon 20-Feb-17 15:00:08

Your whole foot or just the big toe/ball of the foot? I get the tingling after an attack of gout and it starts with a slight pain but you seem to have skipped the agonising middle bit.

dnamummy Mon 20-Feb-17 15:02:27

Could this be onset of gout? Although usually in toe joint I understand can be other joints impacted. Definitely worth getting checked I'd have thought.

EssieTregowan Mon 20-Feb-17 15:02:50

There is nothing visible on my feet at all, no swelling or discolouration.

It's the whole feet, but worse around the toes and on the soles.

I take quite a lot of medication for Bipolar, and they don't know what's going on gut wise, I'm waiting for an endoscopy.

I feel like I'm falling apart tbh.

littlemissneela Mon 20-Feb-17 15:39:38

Where in your feet is the pain? If its your heel, it could be something like plantar faciitis which is very painful, and can just suddenly start. I used to get it my heels when wearing badly fitting wellies whilst walking my dog.
I wouldnt worry about the dr thinking you are be a hypochondriac - its best to put your mind at rest about some things.

EssieTregowan Mon 20-Feb-17 15:43:46

It's not really in my heels. It's sort of all over but mostly at the front part. It feels a bit like wearing really snug socks or shoes.

Allfednonedead Mon 20-Feb-17 15:45:41

This is a bit left-field and very much me projecting my own issues, but has your thyroid been checked?
I've just been told I'm not bipolar, it's all about my thyroid - much internet reading later I've come to realise an awful lot of symptoms can be down to autoimmune thyroid issues.
Gut problems in particular can be related.
You're not a hypochondriac, you are just difficult to diagnose. That's not your fault!

doodlejump1980 Mon 20-Feb-17 15:48:22

Shingles? Both times I've had shingles its started out like that- even putting socks on is sore.

SynchronisedSchwimmer Mon 20-Feb-17 16:00:25

Oo my FIL has this!! It's got a long name which escapes me now but he's been given a type of antidepressant which does something to the nerves and stops the pain and lets him sleep better.

Definitely go to the GP, they'll be able to help.

EssieTregowan Mon 20-Feb-17 16:10:19

I've had my thyroid checked and it's not that. In fact all my bloods have come up clear.

Right, I've caved and Googled. I'm coming up with peripheral neuropathy. Could be scary, could be mild. So I do have to go the the GP. I'll make an appt for tomorrow.

CPtart Mon 20-Feb-17 16:19:50

Peripheral neuropathy is common in diabetics. You're not are you?

CPtart Mon 20-Feb-17 16:20:14

Or vitamin B12 deficiency?

user1471537877 Mon 20-Feb-17 16:24:59

Peripheral neuropathy linked to B12 deficiency? you get what's called a stocking and glove effect which is very similar to your description

Given that you're waiting for an endoscopy it may well related, I have it secondary to missed coeliac disease

Mention it to your gp who can have it checked for you

zzzzz Mon 20-Feb-17 16:28:15

Some drugs have weird footy things as a side effect. Read your leaflets.

Bursitis?

Gout?

Tight socks?

MumW Mon 20-Feb-17 16:35:13

I have a slipped disk in my lower back and get strange sensations in my feet. I describe the feeling as a bit like walking on cotton wool. I also have altered feeling down the outside of my calf. Before I had surgery, I had severe sciatica and pain behind my knee as well as my feet.

Before you start panicking, I'm not for one minute suggesting that you have a slipped disc and need surgery, just letting you know that it is possible that it is referred nerve pain caused by a trapped nerve somewhere other than your foot.

Hope you find the source of the problem soon as funny feet and dodgy backs are no laughing matter.

MimiTheWonderGoat Mon 20-Feb-17 16:37:58

Have you recently used an antibiotic called Cipro or Levaquin?

EssieTregowan Mon 20-Feb-17 16:54:57

No diabetes, no antibiotics and I think B12 was one of the things they looked for in my blood tests.

I did used to drink a lot, two bottles of wine most days. I've reduced this to three bottles a week (I'm in treatment). I think it's probably something to do with that.

MortifiedinAsda Mon 20-Feb-17 16:59:19

Ah yes it is most likely, you can get nerve damage from excessive drinking. I am a type 2 diabetic on insulin and i have peripheral neuropathy in my feet - its really unpleasant some nights but i believe you can get something from your GP to help with the symptoms as they are very similar to a diabetic peripheral neuropathy i believe.

Good luck with your treatment.

ExplodedCloud Mon 20-Feb-17 17:07:48

Bizarre. I've developed fizzy toes in the last few days to match my numb left hand. Mine's not alcohol related though. GP told my hand couldn't possibly be thyroid related. My levels are fine for the UK. Not so fine for most other western countries so it might be worth checking the numbers on your tests rather than relying on OK/Not OK.

squeak10 Mon 20-Feb-17 22:54:18

I don't drink very much, had the same problem, turned out it was a slipped disc therefore pressing on nerve. Could be the same as had the feeling that feet were cottoned wooled

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now