Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect workmen to announce their arrival?

(16 Posts)
MouldyPeach Mon 20-Feb-17 14:26:52

I don't know if IABU or not, genuinely.

We rent, it's a beautiful detached bungalow but it's a shithole, occasionally the LL listens to our many complaints and sends builders/workmen over.
A couple of months ago some guys came to fix a fence, first I knew about it was when I heard drilling outside. Went out to ask wtf they were doing and to please get their drinks/lunch off the bonnet of my car! I wasn't expecting them and as the LL only fixes about 25% of the major issues we have I wasn't sure the fence was ever going to get fixed anyway.
Recently we have had a leaking roof, I complain. Today a couple of roofers come to fix it, great, except the first thing I know about it is when I hear banging and voices from above! Which is a little disconcerting when you have no neighbours.

AIBU? Is an introduction only extended to those who own their own homes? Should they have given me a heads up that they were there? Or is this how things are?

MouldyPeach Mon 20-Feb-17 17:55:57

Anyone?

Niaus267 Mon 20-Feb-17 17:59:31

You are supposrd to allow reasonable access for any tradespeople organised by the landlord - I don't think them just turning up is particularly reasonable. It's still your home, and if you're anything like me, I would HATE it if they just appeared (introverted, me?). If you have a copy of your lease, have a look at the terms & see if it mentions anything about it.

Niaus267 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:01:31

(Sorry I pressed post too soon) - we rent ourselves and always get some kind of notice. I also work in the industry and we always give notice - at the very least provide a contact number to the tradesperson for the tenant in the case of emergency repair.

nocake Mon 20-Feb-17 18:07:08

You're entitled to at least 24 hours notice of the landlord or their representatives coming round. Unfortunately the only thing you can do about it is to refuse them entry or tell them to leave, and that won't get the repairs done.

CaraAspen Mon 20-Feb-17 18:11:44

OP:
Sounds to me as if they think they do. It owe you the courtesy since the landlord has given his permission. That is really not on. As for them using your CAR bonnet as a table, I am speechless.

CaraAspen Mon 20-Feb-17 18:12:22

Sounds to me as if they think they do not owe you the courtesy since the landlord has given his permission. That is really not on. As for them using your CAR bonnet as a table, I am speechless.

AgentProvocateur Mon 20-Feb-17 18:31:13

If they didn't need in the house, I'd expect workmen just to come and do what they need to do and put the bill through the door. We're all at work all day, so that's how we work it. Homeowner, if it makes a difference.

helpfulperson Mon 20-Feb-17 19:06:18

I wouldn't always expect them to give notice. For example if I have asked a roofer to do work I expect them just to come round when the weather is suitable, do what they need and leave. Same for any sort of outside trades. But in your position warning that they would round at some point would have been good.

ForalltheSaints Mon 20-Feb-17 19:10:06

A phone call when they are on their way, even if only half an hour in advance, is perfectly reasonable to expect.

Obviouspretzel Mon 20-Feb-17 20:00:51

No, half an hour is not acceptable, 24 hours is.

Sunnysky2016 Mon 20-Feb-17 20:23:35

My last LL was like this- I agree really worrying when you hear someone on your roof without your knowledge. Don't know how you can stop it though.....

pocketsaviour Mon 20-Feb-17 20:27:51

They may not have been informed by the LL that there is a tenant there.

I would drop a text to the LL to say something like "Hi, can I ask that you let me know when you are sending workmen round, so I can move my car in advance to give them access. Cheers!"

CaraAspen Mon 20-Feb-17 21:55:45

And to avoid it being used as a handy coffee table when I have not put coasters on the bonnet.

PidgeyfinderGeneral Mon 20-Feb-17 22:11:48

Speak to your LL. I'm an LL and there's no way I would send workmen in without talking to my tenant first. I usually get workmen to arrange a time directly with the tenant and give them the tenant's number (with permission, obviously).

MouldyPeach Mon 20-Feb-17 22:20:46

Thanks for the input everyone. I suppose the fact that they were outside and didn't need access to the property inside means they didn't feel the need to let me know. I think it's more of a courtesy thing.

And yes, they looked rightfully sheepish when I caught them using my car bonnet as a picnic table, cheeky shits angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now