Talk

Advanced search

New car

(16 Posts)
CuriousMary Mon 20-Feb-17 12:59:58

AIBU spending 2500 in a BMW one series that has 144,800 miles?

CuriousMary Mon 20-Feb-17 13:00:36

Apart from the high mileage the car is in good condition. No issues seen with the car.

Singingbird Mon 20-Feb-17 13:02:00

All depends on how old it is... usual calculation for average mileage is 10,000 miles per year of the car's life.

Singingbird Mon 20-Feb-17 13:04:18

And the Cam Belt should have been changed every 50,000 miles, if BMWs have one, that is - it might be a chain one that doesn't need it.

Autumnchill Mon 20-Feb-17 13:04:43

Diesel or petrol?

CuriousMary Mon 20-Feb-17 13:05:06

It's a 06 plate. I currently drive a micra and this car has really caught my eye. However people are telling me I am not doing the right thing as is has high mileage so I just don't know what to do.

CuriousMary Mon 20-Feb-17 13:05:34

It's a petrol. It has a chain

wasonthelist Mon 20-Feb-17 13:07:47

Not sure what the AIBU is here exactly - are you asking if it's a fair price?

I wouldn't buy any BMW as they ugly and vastly overated IMHO.

brummiesue Mon 20-Feb-17 13:16:01

Wouldnt touch a petrol car with that mileage with a bargepole. Good job everyone has different tastes then isnt it wasonthelisthmm

QuitMoaning Mon 20-Feb-17 13:17:29

I drive a higher mileage BMW and they are fabulous to drive but expensive to run. You also get a lot of people with unfounded opinions assuming you are a certain person because you drive a BMW but it is bullshit.

Mine isn't a one series and I am not a big fan of them but the higher mileage on any car means items will need replacing and BMWs are really really not cheap to run.
Our other main car is a skoda and it is cheaper to run and an all round excellent car but you can tell the difference in quality between the two (and my skoda is a range topping one, it is superb).

Hgmother Mon 20-Feb-17 13:21:55

Depends if it's city miles or motorway miles. city miles are hard on a car, with motorway miles the car's more likely to be in better condition. Given that it's 145 000 miles in 11 years it would suggest a lot of those are motorway (obv can't be sure). Like other people said, check the cam belt etc . It's a risk though getting any 11 year old car, but I know new cars that have had nothing but problems too... I know the last part is no help lol

Rainmaker1 Mon 20-Feb-17 13:24:19

At the bottom end of the market there's a good chance of it being a dog. Being petrol it'll probably be more reliable/cheaper to repair than the diesel version but don't be surprised if it chucks a four figure bill. For £2.5k there are many better choices, I would look again.

wasonthelist Mon 20-Feb-17 13:25:32

OP if you need space in the back, look carefully, 1 series are very cramped compared with, say a Golf

Shamoffour Mon 20-Feb-17 13:28:47

I loved my one series. But I wouldn't touch a bmw with high mileage they are expensive when they go wrong.

TweedAddict Mon 20-Feb-17 13:30:48

You shouldn't have any issues with a BMW. I think the high mileage thing is a bit dated now to be honest. Times have changed and mechanics have improved. I mainly buy high mileage cars (because they are cheaper)

CuriousMary Mon 20-Feb-17 13:54:30

Thanks all! Will take the comments on board and have a good think about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now