Talk

Advanced search

Humping

(64 Posts)
mymilisbatshit Sun 19-Feb-17 22:24:35

Not a aibu but looking for some input sorry guys x My dd is 9 months old. She's recently got to that clingy stage where only mummy will do.. when she is with other people or is begging me to pick her up I go to her when she finally gets into my arms especially if I take her face to face she makes humping movements as she cuddles in.. I didn't think anything of it to begin with as it was just seconds at a time but now she even tries to cuddle in and will do it for at least 20 seconds sometimes she makes noise other times she will be silent. She only does it to me and she doesn't do it when she's sat in any seats or harnesses.

What is she doing and what does it mean? I feel a little ignorant but it's such funny behaviour. Is there anything I can do to stop her doing it? My friend said non of her girls did it and I'm embarrassed to ask anyone else 

ProudBadMum Sun 19-Feb-17 22:27:25

She's just getting comfy. She's 9 months old. It's not humping it's wiggling

mymilisbatshit Sun 19-Feb-17 22:29:08

Hi proud thanks for the response.. I'm
Afraid it's not I've seen her wriggling this is different my friend even saw it today and asked me what she was doing I flushed red and said I didn't know this is a newish thing but has gotten more frequent. It's hard to explain. X

Calvinlookingforhobbs Sun 19-Feb-17 22:34:14

Why would you be embarrassed? Your daughter is a baby, her behaviour is in no way sexual. Take a video and then ask your HV if you are concerned.

mymilisbatshit Sun 19-Feb-17 22:37:13

Hiya Calvin I don't mean to be embarrassed my friend caught me off guard I wasn't ready to answer questions about it as I don't know what it is myself. I know it's silly x

CuriousMary Sun 19-Feb-17 22:47:17

Maybe it's a comfort thing with you. My son used to stroke my arm and my belly as a comfort. He only ever did it to me and still does it at 3 years old. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

Chocolateteabag Sun 19-Feb-17 22:49:43

Is she actually rubbing her lady bits against you OP (sorry trying to find a better way to say that)
I have 2 boys so slightly different but at that age and then really up to at least 8-9(and probably later) it really isn't sexual - it just "feels nice" My sons from about 18mo have often had hands down the fronts of their nappies

Keep cuddling her but when she starts just change the way you are holding her. You can't really do anything else at 9 mo as she just won't understand. Putting her down could be interpreted as a rejection for example

With mine, we tell them it's a private thing to do on their own only but try not to make them feel it's "wrong" IYKWIM

Basically try not to worry - it's a phase / Stage, it'll be something else soon enough

mymilisbatshit Sun 19-Feb-17 22:49:44

Aww thank you curious.. I know it's not sexual for her and I feel really bad I just don't
Want anyone saying anything mean about it to her or me it's not her fault and she can't help it I know just wish she wouldn't do it. She's so clingy to me lately I'm just glad she doesn't do it for very long x

haveacupoftea Sun 19-Feb-17 22:50:19

Could she have an itch down there??

Champagneformyrealfriends Sun 19-Feb-17 22:50:34

My DD (11 months) crawls up to me and repeatedly rocks so that she's (gently) head butting my leg. She does it with the sofas too. We draw the line at allowing her to headbut the wall. Babies are often odd little things (but obviously adorable!)

mymilisbatshit Sun 19-Feb-17 22:52:43

She doesn't have any thrush I've had that ruled out already and she isn't sore. My
OH says it's just because she loves me but I got concerned I'm not a prude but she is my baby I don't like to think of it like that lol I'm probably just worrying over nothing x

babybitchface Sun 19-Feb-17 22:53:05

do you mean bouncing? It's totally normal. I find your post a bit weird!

My DS tries to stick his tongue in my mouth. It's what kids do! He's 18months btw.

mymilisbatshit Sun 19-Feb-17 22:53:41

How do you mean weird? Il try and explain
Better

WeeM Sun 19-Feb-17 22:54:21

My dd was such a humper that I had to get rid of our Ikea highchair! She also used to do it in the buggy. Stopped for a while and now has started it again when she goes to bed at night. I don't really have any words of wisdom other than from googling it it seems to be quite common!

Poorlybabysickday Sun 19-Feb-17 22:55:10

My 14 month old dd does this! We call it thrusting! It's funny, it makes me laugh!

Leggit Sun 19-Feb-17 22:55:15

Erm your baby is just wriggling about ffs

worriedworker85 Sun 19-Feb-17 22:56:23

My son, 13 months, does this. It's just learning a new way to move their bodies.

FannyFifer Sun 19-Feb-17 22:56:45

Ach my wee girl did this as well, on my knee, on the arm of the couch, pretty normal but yes a bit embarrassing in company.
Just try & distract her to do something else.

Excitedforxmas Sun 19-Feb-17 22:56:49

My Dd used to hump everything! Pram supermarket trolley toys. She used to go bright red and make noises- it was so embarrassing. She did outgrow it

Hatemylifenow Sun 19-Feb-17 22:57:25

hmm

WeeM Sun 19-Feb-17 22:58:53

Oh yes supermarket trollies too!! grin

raspberryblush23 Sun 19-Feb-17 22:58:58

I wouldn't read that much into it, my DD (17months) does it too sometimes: she gives me a big smile and big cuddle and humps a bit. I'm sure my older DS did the same and grew out of it.

avamiah Sun 19-Feb-17 23:00:38

Babybitchface,
I tend to agree with you.
OP, I have never heard the term humping being used in relation to a baby .

runningLou Sun 19-Feb-17 23:01:41

It's a sensory thing. She wants to feel your body close to hers. Typical reaction to separation anxiety - she is the right age for that.
Are you holding her slightly at arms' length if you're embarrassed about it? Try hugging her really really tight to you so she knows Mum is there and she will stop.

Please don't use the word humping about a baby though. It suggests some kind of motivation or meaning to the behaviour that it could never have. Your friend was odd to question it.

statetrooperstacey Sun 19-Feb-17 23:02:47

My nephew did this , not sure if he still does he's 5 now.
Howevery DH sis this as a child and still does! He does it if he's very tired and only rarely, he does it in bed as a way of getting to sleep. He doesn't rub on anything tho I think it's the rocking movement is soothing. It's not sexual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now