Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be annoyed at swimming pool hygiene?

(32 Posts)
Frankthefrog Sun 19-Feb-17 19:47:58

Do you think I'm being unreasonable for making a complaint? I was at swimming lessons with DS2 watching from the side trying not to stare at very attractive swimming teacher when a little girl around 8 spewed chunks at the other end of the pool, this was bad enough but it was what happened next Im so annoyed about, the lifeguard looked over then ignored it, the poor girls mum tried to scoop up as much as possible while dealing with poorly daughter. She went up to the lifeguard and gestured there was still bits in the pool.

Eventually he went over and kind of flicked some bits out with a float, then allowed a dad and young baby to go in the same bit a minute later. One of the mums at the lesson went over and said to them (we were at the other end of the pool and minutes left of the lesson).

DS1 had a lesson a half an hour later at that bit and I was assured it would be cleaned up, water cycled more chlorine put in and advised that means it's safe again. Only when DS2 went to go to his lesson there were still visible 'matter' at the side of the pool and the very apologetic swimming teacher said they hadn't done it yet (DS2 wasn't happy at mummy not letting him in)

YawningHippo Sun 19-Feb-17 19:54:00

Definitely not unreasonable and I say that as a mum of a DS who has shut down 4 pools due to 'bodily mishaps'! I would completely expect a complaint to be made if no real effort had been made to clean the pool efficiently.

Fma14 Sun 19-Feb-17 19:55:22

Not unreasonable no, that's really grim. As annoying as it is, whenever there is poop or vomit in it should be cleaned shouldn't it? I would rather be told that its shut than to swim in someone's vomit or expose my child to it.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 19-Feb-17 19:57:00

YANBU.

Whenever that happens at my local (grotty) council pool they close the pool. So YANBU.

harderandharder2breathe Sun 19-Feb-17 19:57:18

Yanbu, that's disgusting. Of course these things happen, it's not the girls fault or her mums (assuming she hadn't been up all night vomiting). The pool should have procedures in place to deal with it and not put everyone else at risk of getting sick.

LaPharisienne Sun 19-Feb-17 19:59:01

YANBU

Merlin40 Sun 19-Feb-17 19:59:11

That is rank! Pool definitely should have been closed!

SequinsOnEverything Sun 19-Feb-17 19:59:36

Whenever that happens at my local (grotty) council pool they close the pool.

Same here. I wouldn't let my children get in and I would have complained.

Katy07 Sun 19-Feb-17 20:00:07

Bleugh! For this I'd complain. That's disgusting.

foxyloxy78 Sun 19-Feb-17 20:02:22

YANBU! Make a complaint asap. I have always known pools to shut down when such things happen.

Frankthefrog Sun 19-Feb-17 20:02:29

I am awful at complaining I somehow end up apologising for the complaint! When I said at the front desk I was told that kids are sick so often in the pool that guidelines just say they need to put more chemical in. Wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable.

4yoniD Sun 19-Feb-17 20:03:45

Wow. Pool would be closed straight away here.

Crispbutty Sun 19-Feb-17 20:05:21

My friend is a swimming teacher and when it has happened at her pool they have to close it for cleaning.

Madcats Sun 19-Feb-17 20:08:04

DD had weekly swimming lessons at a local boarding school pool (so only a couple of kids/per hour). We used to reckon on getting texted to not turn up for our afternoon session at least twice a year.

We've usually had at least 4 hours' notice so I am guessing that they either drain or dump a lot of chemicals in every time there is an "incident".

Possibly too late now, but flat cola was my "go to" remedy to kill potential tummy bugs when I swam in the sea.

Branleuse Sun 19-Feb-17 20:12:40

thats rank.

When my kids were at swimming once, someone vomited in the pool and they drained the pool to clean it

ephemeralfairy Sun 19-Feb-17 20:12:49

That is revolting. I'm emetophobic and THIS is why I don't go swimming, no matter how often people tell me I'm being paranoid. Now I know I'm not sad

Rixera Sun 19-Feb-17 20:13:23

My OH works for a firm that deals with such 'mishaps' and yes it absolutely should have been closed, the water for the whole facility will need to be treated, it's so unsanitary to leave it floating there! It could make people very unwell and there are consequences if it gets reported, not to mention if someone becomes unwell as a result.

ILoveMyMonkey Sun 19-Feb-17 20:15:10

Urgh that's grim! When DS was about 7 months old he puked in the pool and the lifeguard set the fire alarm off to empty itblush. Humiliating but necessary.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 19-Feb-17 20:16:04

In fact, rereading the OP, definitely complain - it sounds like the pool management may not have even know about it?

F1GI Sun 19-Feb-17 20:16:32

Filthy.
I've seen this happen and they get everyone out of the pool and it gets some sort of chemical treatment which puts the pool out of action for the rest of the day.

Devilishpyjamas Sun 19-Feb-17 20:17:20

Ewwwww

JenniferYellowHat1980 Sun 19-Feb-17 20:17:45

They shut down the pool immediately for 24 hours here.

Katy07 Sun 19-Feb-17 20:18:32

I'm never getting in a pool again...

Gazelda Sun 19-Feb-17 20:21:52

I'd be cancelling all future lessons at that pool.

Frankthefrog Sun 19-Feb-17 20:29:58

Yea Gazelda I think I will be. I'm going to email a complaint in tomorrow. I hope noone got ill from it! It's just disgusting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now