Talk

Advanced search

If a teacher in a secondary school...

(66 Posts)
Methenyouplus4 Sun 19-Feb-17 18:11:14

Had a lifestyle type blog about family life/recipes/ days out etc, would you feel it was inappropriate?

Content include would photos of them/their family and would cover where they had been (but only after they had been e.g. reviews of local attractions).

I'm asking as I have wanted to start a lifestyle type blog (as a hobby) but worry it wouldn't be deemed professionally appropriate as a secondary teacher. There would obviously be nothing offensive/ to do with my job and I live in a different county to where I teach but still, teachers generally have to be very careful about what they share in public.

Would it bother you if a teacher at your child's secondary school had such a blog?

esiotrot2015 Sun 19-Feb-17 18:12:15

could youy do it anonymously?
I'd be worried the students would google and take the mick tbh

creampinkrose Sun 19-Feb-17 18:13:15

No, not at all.

OdinsLoveChild Sun 19-Feb-17 18:13:41

It wouldnt bother me as long as it had no reference to the school and that no child from the school could be identified or used as part of the blog.

Phineyj Sun 19-Feb-17 18:16:56

I take it you've checked your school's social media policy and your contract?

HarryTheHippo Sun 19-Feb-17 18:17:03

I wouldn't put your children through that with photos of them publicly wheb you're ao recognisable.

creampinkrose Sun 19-Feb-17 18:20:46

A social media policy should be neither here nor there really. They focus on things like not adding students as friends, not bringing the school into disrepute, not expressing opinions that could be deemed offensive. The last one can be most difficult. But if OP just wants a 'today Lily, Harry and I went to the beach!' type stuff it's fine.

It's similar in some ways to when children attend the school their parents teach at: you can end up with kids knowing more than you'd like but that's the individuals call to make.

Brokenbiscuit Sun 19-Feb-17 18:23:26

I wouldn't find it inappropriate, no.

MrsPringles Sun 19-Feb-17 18:26:04

It wouldn't bother me at all, I think if you want to do it then go for it OP smile

TurkeyDinosaurs Sun 19-Feb-17 18:26:36

You're a teacher but you are allowed a life!!

sonjadog Sun 19-Feb-17 18:27:58

No, not inappropriate at all. As long as you stick to the wholesome family activities and don´t start writing about how much teaching sucks, or reviewing sex toys, or the like.

EustaceClarenceScrubb Sun 19-Feb-17 18:29:26

I would do it but keep it anonymous, give your children different names and keep them out of the photos.

PurpleDaisies Sun 19-Feb-17 18:31:33

I'd keep it anonymous. If it were successful, think of how your children would feel if loads of strangers were reading about their lives and seeing their pictures without their consent.

BeccaAnn Sun 19-Feb-17 18:34:34

I think as long as you keep your students and general work stuff out of it it should be fine. Keep away from political things too as that can get you in to trouble.

Enjoy smile

SparklyUnicornPoo Sun 19-Feb-17 18:35:59

I wouldn't find it inappropriate, but I'd maybe not use your real name, just so your students wouldn't come across it so easily and maybe set it up so you have to approve any comments just in case.

DesolateWaist Sun 19-Feb-17 18:38:05

and I live in a different county to where I teach but still

Back up there sister, how does that work then?

sonjadog Sun 19-Feb-17 18:45:47

Lives on the border of one and works on the other side, I guess?

Grannyben Sun 19-Feb-17 18:50:32

My daughter's went to a local Catholic school which only had about 300 pupils. One of the male teachers had most of the pupils as fb friends. He was late 20's, married with 2 young children. The thing is he was highly trusted by pupils, parents and other members of staff, he had no ulterior motive. This teacher actually messaged all pupils to congratulate them on their GCSE results and, again when they had completed their a levels and degrees. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with your blog

WyfOfBathe Sun 19-Feb-17 18:51:52

It's not inappropriate, but as a teacher I wouldn't want my students coming across it and seeing what I and my DC do in our day-to-day life.

EveningShadows Sun 19-Feb-17 18:53:11

Desolate, that's not that unusual is it?!?

Methenyouplus4 Sun 19-Feb-17 18:56:08

Yes, I have a 45 minute commute.

Definitely wouldn't be anything to do with sex toys or politics! More like snap shots of local NT places.

I'd find it hard not to put photos of my kids in as it would be a family lifestyle type blog. It wouldn't be personal comments about them, just more general comments on family life. My eldest is over 10 and I wouldn't post anything without their okay (and nothing 'embarrassing').

School/students would never be mentioned! More like meal planning, reducing carbon footprint, interiors etc.

Our social media policy is no students as friends etc. I don't have any past/present students as friends (nor would I want to) and everything is set to private. In fact, I don't even have colleagues on social media, it's literally just a handful of close family and friends.

xyzandabc Sun 19-Feb-17 19:00:32

DesolateWaist
Are you confusing county with country?

EustaceClarenceScrubb Sun 19-Feb-17 19:01:32

Your child is still quite young, it is exciting when you are 10 to think you are on a website but when they go to senior school they might feel differently, especially if their peers are able to pull up pictures of them when they were a few years younger.Ii imagine they will be teased as it is not cool to a 12 or 13 year old. Just use shots of the place/garden or go all 'instagram' and photograph their feet or something.

Iknowclosureisathingbut Sun 19-Feb-17 19:01:33

Pictures of you which are searchable under your name are not a great idea - they can be found and photoshopped. Could be "innocent" banter (this is Miss Meth with a flower halo) or more damaging (this is Miss Meth with her boobs out).

I wouldn't...

khajiit13 Sun 19-Feb-17 19:02:35

Not inappropriate but be prepared for the likelihood that students will find it and it will be shared and you will be asked about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now