Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that clothing on EBay is becoming too expensive?

(23 Posts)
MillyDLA Sun 19-Feb-17 16:38:49

It is not unusual for me to buy second hand, good quality clothing on EBay. Particularly smart work wear. I have also sold the same.

Is £19.00 for a second hand wool Hobbs dress too expensive given that I can't try it on and can't return it, taking a chance on it fitting and liking it.

When selling I have found that EBay now 'suggests' a starting price. These too seem unreasonably expensive and will of course drive the price up, I suppose making EBay more money in fees. I didn't follow these extortionate suggestions when I sold clothing last, but set my own 99p start. Happy for my stuff to find a good home and to clear some space in my house. Once worn, expensive interview shoes that are really too big for me needed to go!

I used to find the occasional genuine bargain. Seems this no longer happens. I haven't bought anything for ages.

AIBU for thinking the prices are too much, or just tight! 😉

Trills Sun 19-Feb-17 16:40:28

It's only too expensive if it doesn't sell.

Trills Sun 19-Feb-17 16:41:38

Boring but true.

lidoshuffle Sun 19-Feb-17 16:42:37

I think 19 quid for a wool Hobbs dress is excellent value, assuming of course it's hardly worn.smile

SloanePeterson Sun 19-Feb-17 16:42:54

I don't think that's too expensive no. If it doesn't fit you can resell it, that's how I see it. And you can always ask for measurements if you're unsure. I've been clearing through my vast amount of unworn clothes and all are good quality, and all have sold for a good price on eBay. admittedly it's probably not as good for bargains as it used to be, but the fees have crept up and it's time consuming to do good photographs and a good description. There are still bargains to be had, but I no longer do auction style listings as I've realised when I'm looking to buy something, I always want to buy it now. That way I can get what I want and know I'm happy with the price. Alternatively are there any posh towns close by where you can trawl the charity shops?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sun 19-Feb-17 16:46:43

I agree with you that some starting prices nowadays seem ridiculously high.

I have been looking for summer things for DD. I am bemused by the people listing the sleeveless H&M jersey dresses as a Buy It Now for £7.99 plus P&P. They're only £2.99 from H&M to start with! confused

MillyDLA Sun 19-Feb-17 16:56:48

The £19.00 Hobbs dress is the cheapest dress in my size that I like. Some are £40.00, £50.00 plus. Don't think I would risk that sort of money for something I can't see, try or return. Not sure I would get back my money with a resale.

Santa, yes I often see items that are cheaper in the shop! I can only think that they sell to customers who don't have that particular shop locally.

dingdongdigeridoo Sun 19-Feb-17 17:09:06

Yanbu. There's some really bobbled, faded, wrinkled shit on there that people are listing for about 10% less than they paid for it. It's becoming harder to get a bargain.

manicinsomniac Sun 19-Feb-17 17:11:11

I find the complete and total opposite. 90% of mine and my children's clothes are bought and sold through ebay.

A standard high street designer label (Hollister, jack wills, fat face etc) used to fetch £10+ a few years ago. Now I often find I can get, and have to sell, them for £1 - £4. Same condition etc.

I'm often stunned by some of the amazing deals I can get and amazed at what I can't sell.

But then, equally inexplicably, something not that special can sell for loads. I've just sold a gift box/case thing for £8.50 - starting price was 99p! I'm highly embarrassed because, although it was a present, I seriously doubt it cost anything like that much new!

Olivialoves Sun 19-Feb-17 17:16:15

I've just bought a Hobbs dress, for £18.
I find Hobbs one of those brands that I can buy anything in my size and it just fits. I'm a 14-16 so don't often buy things lightly.
£20-25 is my max though for Hobbs dresses, and I'm mostly at times the only bidder which I have noticed recently!

PNGirl Sun 19-Feb-17 17:18:49

I recently sold some (admittedly great condition) Uggs for 45 quid. I was a bit gobsmacked considering they were bright blue and I started at a tenner! Some thinga do spiral and people see that when they choose start prices.

That said places like Hollister as mentioned above have gone through a round of massive price drops/permanent sale due to a loss of profits so it doesn't surprise me that a hoodie from there used to sell for more - they were about 50 quid new but they're now around 22.

FANTINE1 Sun 19-Feb-17 18:00:28

I,ve just sold a pair of Boden Bistro trousers for £42.00!! Can't believe that someone would bid that much. They are in excellent condition, but they have been worn. It would appear that the winning bid was one of those maximum bids things that had been placed 3 days earlier. Crazy, but good for me.

TinfoilHattie Sun 19-Feb-17 18:26:54

All depends on condition and original cost. It's very similar with charity shops, which are also critcised for being "expensive".

I got a Hobbs 100% wool winter coat in my local charity shop for £20. Quite expensive for a charity shop purchase but an absolute bargain for a coat which looked brand new and was around £240 new. Having said that I could try it on, inspect it thoroughly and see the condition before buying. What would the new price of a Hobbs dress be?

MillyDLA Sun 19-Feb-17 19:08:43

I was using Hobbs as an example but buy Boden, Fenn Wright Manson, Mint Velvet etc, but think prices are generally more and bargains seem few and far between . My experience of selling is that EBay now 'suggests' a price. Wondering if it is EBay themselves who are driving up prices. Wonder if sales will drop?

WildBelle Sun 19-Feb-17 19:19:42

I'm about to have a massive eBay selling clearout. I used to eBay a lot but it seems a different place now. I used to just start everything at 99p and let it find its own value, if you are a regular seller do you think that is still the way to go, or would you do a higher starting price or buy it now?

friendlyflicka Sun 19-Feb-17 19:24:09

It really does depend on the brand. There are some brands that always sell. You can still get bargains - I am always dressed - well dressed - from eBay on very little money.

MillyDLA Sun 19-Feb-17 19:27:38

Last time Wild Berry I did a slightly higher starting price than 99p for items which were either new or a decent brand. I didn't go as high as the suggested price though. I put on at £2.00 a new, labelled Debenhams dress because it was an impulse buy, I wanted it gone and was happy that someone else got a bargain. eBay suggested price was £19.00! I hadn't paid that for it in the sale!

I think it depends on how keen you are to get rid of stuff and if you can be really bothered to make an effort packaging and posting for 99p return.

manicinsomniac Sun 19-Feb-17 19:28:05

Wildbelle I think the key is not to start something at a price where you would rather have the item than the money.

So, a 99p start can be really attractive and mean that the bidding ends up higher than starting at several pounds more. But, if you're not prepared to 'lose' the item for 99p it's now too risky, imo

BalletZeus Sun 19-Feb-17 19:30:47

Since when could you not return things?

From what I can gather the 'no returns accepted' policy is worthless as buyers can return things or raise disputes via eBay or PayPal.

228agreenend Sun 19-Feb-17 19:39:09

I used to start items at 99p but since EBay started taking a percentage of the postage cost as well as selling, I found it wasn't worth you could almost loose 99p by the time you've subtracted selling + postage + PayPal charges. Consequently, I start everything at £1.99, or higher.

I usually find the items I expect to sell don't sell, and the items that i wouldn't expect to sell well do better

MillyDLA Sun 19-Feb-17 19:39:59

I haven't ever returned items because they don't fit, I suppose I feel that is my problem not theirs. Often sellers of second hand clothing have a no returns policy. Also the postage makes it not worth returning.

I have however returned new items to sellers who are obviously running a business and offer a returns policy.

EatTheChocolateTeapot Sun 19-Feb-17 19:47:02

You cannot return if it doesn't fit unless buying from a pro. You can only return if damaged or not as described.

WildBelle Sun 19-Feb-17 19:48:19

Thanks for the replies, just listing some stuff now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now