Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Co-ed changing

(6 Posts)
MTBMummy Sun 19-Feb-17 16:23:04

I'm really not sure where I come down on this one, so looking to a greater audience for views.

DD is in year 2, and 7 years old, one of the oldest in her year. At the end of this last half term, she's complained about having to change with the boys for PE, and says she feels they're looking at her, and it makes her uncomfortable.

If this was back when I was a kid she'd be referred to as having "bee stings" very early stages of developing breasts, and we've just bought her some bra-lettes which I hope will help the with the self consciousness she's feeling

At what age do other schools start separating the kids for changing for PE? Swimming already splits them, but there are a few kids a bit older than her so maybe that split is to cater for them. Is it worth mentioning to her teacher? I don't want to make an issue of nothing, but I want to ensure DD feels comfortable at school.

Bubblysqueak Sun 19-Feb-17 16:24:17

Usually around yr 5, definitely by year 6.

Micycle Sun 19-Feb-17 16:37:46

They didn't at my school until my mother found out about it and went apeshit. I was erm ... rather well developed as were quite a few girls in my year. Found changing awkward but felt like I couldn't say anything. That was towards the end of year six.

They bought a room divider sort of thing. Problem solved.

arethereanyleftatall Sun 19-Feb-17 17:00:05

I think the problem for your dd is that she is developing super young.
My dd is same age, is still completely innocent and has not remotely starting developing yet. Same as all her classmates. So, it isn't an issue for them to get changed together.
I hope someone will be along soon for you who has been in the same situation.

tinyterrors Sun 19-Feb-17 21:58:11

Our school has separate changing from year 5.

My dd started developing towards the end of year 2, now in year 4 she could do with a proper bra but won't wear it as she'll stand out from the other girls. In my dds class they all get changed together but boys are on one side of the classroom and girls on the other.

Part of the problem is as pp have said your dd and mine are developing early. My dd felt boys (and other girls to an extent) were looking at her. After speaking to the teacher it's likely that they weren't purposely staring at my dd, just looking round normally but my dd felt they were staring iyswim.

I bought my dd cropped vests but she felt they made her stand out more so she started wearing full length vests on pe days as a few other girls did too. It helped my dd stop feeling that she was being stared at so she was happy.

junosmum Sun 19-Feb-17 22:20:42

Year 5 upward at ours and the one DH worked at.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now