Talk

Advanced search

Going back to uni - Is this plan feasible?

(8 Posts)
lanabythebeach Sun 19-Feb-17 11:10:15

I have a 2.5 year old dd.

I already have a (first class) Law degree and I'm contemplating doing an accelerated MSc in Occupational therapy. To get on the course my first degree would have to be related and obviously law isn't.

So I'm considering doing a MSc in Psychology and then applying to do the MSc in OT.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 19-Feb-17 17:22:49

I'm not sure an MSc in Pyschology would count as a first degree though would it?

Have you checked with the uni offering the OT course?

Sugarlightly Sun 19-Feb-17 17:28:22

Do you want to be an occupational therapist? Would it not be easier doing a BSc?

Sugarlightly Sun 19-Feb-17 17:29:45

For example: Having a Masters wouldn't mean that you got a higher banding if you worked in the NHS.

AristotlesTrousers Sun 19-Feb-17 17:30:10

To do a psychology MSc I think you may need to have at least 60 credits in psychology at degree level or have a sufficient background in a related science e.g. biology. Would you be better trying to gain some experience in a related field and then using that to go straight into the OT course?

PinkCrystal Sun 19-Feb-17 17:44:47

I am training as an AHP. Lots of graduates do a BSc, almost half my cohort have degrees.

Also some bsc courses are part time and may be less intense eg main uni holidays off and less full time placements per year. Good when you have childcare to think about. I therefore went this route even though I have a degree prior to starting.

In any case it is worth checking with the uni admissions tutors for advice. They do have some lee way in who they accept. Most want at least an understanding of what OT/PT is and preferably work experience or shadowing. I worked in a care home as a care assistant. However there are people on my course and other AHP that had no experience at all and got a place.

Good luck

DogMama89 Sun 19-Feb-17 20:31:47

Hi love.
You could get onto the MSc ot course with relevant experience and a 1:1, what kind of occupational therapy do you want to go into? Do you want to do mental health practicioner stuff, because you'd definitely get onto the graduate Mh nursing course, and you could also look at the think ahead scheme (which is what I'm applying for!) hope this vaguely makes sense!flowers

lanabythebeach Sun 19-Feb-17 21:22:28

Dogmama the think ahead scheme looks amazing but the summer institute thing kinda puts me off as I wouldn't be able to commit to that with dd being so young.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now