Talk

Advanced search

To think that there MUST be a beatles song for everyone

(143 Posts)
seagazer Sat 18-Feb-17 21:06:53

Quite a few people have said on here they don't like the Beatles music. But surely with songs ranging from the likes of Hey Jude, Let it be, The long and winding road to In my life, And i love her, I wanna hold your hand and countless countless more there's got to be something for everyone.

I'm prepared for people to say they hate their music but it's so varied and diverse that i struggle to understand this. Aibu.

Motherofhowmany Sat 18-Feb-17 21:13:14

biscuit

Ihatethedailymail1 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:13:37

My dh loves the Beatles. I was telling him the other day that one of my security questions for an account is , What was the first single/album you bought? My answer, embarrassingly is, The Frog Chorus by Paul McCartney!! He replied, that's the only one I never bought!!

Bombaybunty Sat 18-Feb-17 21:40:39

They're not for me, sorry.

Oakmaiden Sat 18-Feb-17 21:43:27

Please don't wake me - no, don't shake me - leave me where I am, I'm only sleeeeeeeping...

I m a bit of a fan.

dementedma Sat 18-Feb-17 21:44:32

YABU. they arent for everyone. DH hates them and he's a scouser.
I like Hey Jude, Norwegian Wood, Let it Be and a few others

Autumnchill Sat 18-Feb-17 21:45:04

Eleanor Rigby. Just love the line about leaving her face in a jar by the door, who is it for?

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Sat 18-Feb-17 21:46:30

I so agree OP.

Such a diverse offering there must be something for everyone. except my dad

Rugbyplayersarehot Sat 18-Feb-17 21:48:41

I wanna hold your hand

winniewigs Sat 18-Feb-17 21:50:41

I'm a big Beatles fan. Dh is tolerant, but he thinks that their songs all sound the same. :/

There are probably little groups of similar sounding songs, but their progression is part of their appeal.

Dh likes Helter skelter and Hey Bulldog.

minesapintofwine Sat 18-Feb-17 21:51:03

Let's come together grin

Dmacka75 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:51:27

I agree, there are so many amazing songs, there must be something for everyone.

Yellowbird54321 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:51:48

I can't think of one Beatles song I like at all, they are all just so meh.

tessiebear4 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:52:00

It's impossible to deny their talent.

tessiebear4 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:52:37

They are anything but "meh".

seagazer Sat 18-Feb-17 21:53:58

I love I wanna hold you hand too. It was once described as the perfect pop song, simple but genius. I also love If i fell in love with you. There's loads though.

Zhx3 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:57:00

Ahh, here's one of my favourites.

youtu.be/UmIwcu9AoxQ

seagazer Sat 18-Feb-17 21:57:34

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_the_Beatles
yellowbird there's 409 songs listed here, can you honestly say hand on heart that there's not one that you like?

LordPercy Sat 18-Feb-17 21:59:14

My mum loves The Beatles.

I...don't...

I could say what you've said about INXS, Peter Gabriel or Snow Patrol, in my opinion. But I don't expect the entire world to agree or share my view.

Personal choice, innit hmm

MoonriseKingdom Sat 18-Feb-17 22:03:31

I love them. My Desert Island Disc pick would be Penny Lane. My dad used to play the piano and sing it to me when I was a little girl. My favourite album though is Revolver. I am also a huge fan of George Harrison's solo stuff.

winniewigs Sat 18-Feb-17 22:03:49

I can understand people's feelings of the Beatles songs being meh. The songs have been around so long that they are part of the furniture, the wallpaper. They are so familiar, that it's hard to imagine a time that they weren't around.

I really got into the Beatles aged 15, but I already knew all of the songs without even realising that I knew them. I would be singing along and thinking "Oh, this is a Beatles song? Ok then."

But when I really got into listening to the albums, I could appreciate the genius. The phenomenal speed that the songs were written and released, and the high hit rate. Many people have written 100s of songs, but I'm not sure that any other composers in history have had that hit rate. So many of their songs are so good, and they just seemed to knock them out. Amazing really.

MoonriseKingdom Sat 18-Feb-17 22:07:42

youtu.be/4ncxyOBsK6Y

One of my favourite George Harrison songs (sorry).

Yellowbird54321 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:08:16

Blimey Sea Four hundred and nine!! I don't have time to review them all right now, maybe there will be one in there that's okay - but I have to say every song of theirs I've ever heard has left me unmoved (sorry tessie but yes meh to me).
But hey it's fine to like them and fine not to isn't it.

MoonriseKingdom Sat 18-Feb-17 22:10:05

yellow - what sort of music do you like. Maybe us Beatles fans could recommend a track based on that?

Autumnchill Sat 18-Feb-17 22:11:45

Actually just talking to Mr Autumn about this and I remembered Fool on a Hill. I use to love playing that on the piano.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now