Talk

Advanced search

Desperate and unemployed

(43 Posts)
Octuscactus Sat 18-Feb-17 20:27:35

Hi!
I am so upset and angry. For months I've been looking for a job. I really need something that pays me from 18k a year. I've got experience and qualification (university degree) but all from overseas.
I've got some experience here (almost 1 year). I've been to 3 interviews, from reception to office assistant and nothing happens. Even when I think I did well sad
I am desperate as I really need a job in order to survive. I'm buying reduced food and freezing it so I have something to eat. It's been so difficult. I'm in tears writing this thread.

I use totaljobs, indeed, monster, jobsite.

How long does it take usually for someone to get a job? Any advices on what I'm doing wrong?

Xx

witsender Sat 18-Feb-17 20:28:32

Could you look for part time, or something paying less to start with?

Crazyvaperlady Sat 18-Feb-17 20:29:39

A job is a job. If u genuinely need a job to 'survive' then a minimum wage fast food job would do that until something more suitable comes along. I find not being so fussy and thinking certain jobs are beneath me helps enormously... takes some swallowing of pride but if it pays the bills that's all that matters smile good luck!

PollyHampton Sat 18-Feb-17 20:30:50

Okay, let's break this down. Why £18k? Are you claiming all benefits that you can? Can you get unskilled work to tide you over? Have you had feedback as to why you're not getting the jobs you've applied for?

MrsBrew005 Sat 18-Feb-17 20:32:03

Hi

I'm so sorry your going through this at the minute, there's nothing worse than not having work it will get better for you, you sound like you have a food education behind you but flowerswine for now.

You may have already done this so apologies if you have but try some local agencies. I know temp jobs aren't ideal but even if they only give you six months temping it's better than nothing whole you look for something more secure. They kept me in work when I went through similar.

As hard as it is, it won't be forever stay strong and good luck

AVirginLitTheCandle Sat 18-Feb-17 20:32:57

I really need something that pays me from 18k a year.

Why?

rollonthesummer Sat 18-Feb-17 20:33:04

Why £18k? Unless you are qualified in something in particular, sadly it might not be easy.

MrsBrew005 Sat 18-Feb-17 20:33:47

*good education even, for goodness sake!!

Shellym13 Sat 18-Feb-17 20:34:48

I run a jobs page on facebook. Have a look and make sure your c.v is adapted for each job, call in personally and speak to the manager in places. Even if they aren't recruiting at the time it's noted. It's easier to find a job when you are in one so consider call centre/temping/entry level for a few months to get your foot back on the ladder.
Where are you based?

TwoBoysTooMany76 Sat 18-Feb-17 20:34:52

If you are looking for receptionist/office type jobs, can you sign up with an agency like Office Angels? It can often lead to full time employment eventually or at least get you a foot in the door. I started that way in London. Did a (paid but lowly) internship for a year, then temped for about 6 months in a variety of jobs, before I got a FT job in a big media organisation that I started as a temp for. Good luck!

TheClacksAreDown Sat 18-Feb-17 20:36:01

Where are you in the country?

NeverTwerkNaked Sat 18-Feb-17 20:38:05

Sorry to hear that.
What is your degree in? Could you apply for admin jobs related to that field? Might give you the edge over other candidates...

nollaig16 Sat 18-Feb-17 20:38:20

What is your degree in?

tectonicplates Sat 18-Feb-17 20:38:45

Have you asked someone in the UK (e.g. a careers advisor) to have a look at your CV? I receive CVs at work and I find that many people from other countries make the mistake of thinking the rules are the same all around the world. For example, in much of Europe it's normal to put your photo on your CV, which isn't usually the done thing here; I find it odd.

rollonthesummer Sat 18-Feb-17 20:39:43

Which country is your degree from and in which subject?

WannaBe Sat 18-Feb-17 20:45:35

Where in the country are you? If e.g. In London the average number of applicants for admin jobs is between 200/250 so you are up against a lot of competition.

Reality is that you're currently in an employer's market. I do however agree with others, if you're desperate then find something, anything which pays. It's much easier to get a job if you already have one.

RortyCrankle Sat 18-Feb-17 20:53:41

Have you signed up with recruitment agencies to do temporary work? Quite often when I worked in Human Resources we would give a temporary person a permanent job if they proved themselves whilst working as a temp.

I also agree with others that I would have thought ANY job would be better than no job until you could find something more suitable

user1471443813 Sat 18-Feb-17 20:58:11

Have a look at the nhs jobs website - there are often admin/ward clerk jobs advertised

taytopotato Sat 18-Feb-17 21:04:56

Have you asked feedback from your interviews?

Idefix Sat 18-Feb-17 21:11:14

Civil service job site. Although if you are not british or dual nationality I am not sure if you can apply.

I second what other pp say about checking whether your cv reads okay.

Have you other skills? Have you ever looked after children, would consider nanny or mothers help positions? Not necessarily as a permanent thing hut to give you a breathing space.

Lea060398 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:15:17

An entry level admin-based job in the NHS (i.e. Band 2) would not pay circa £18k pa (ft). It is also near-on impossible to be recruited for band 3 and above without previous NHS experience. The best route in would be via an agency on a temp basis. Contact your local Trusts and enquire which agencies they use. Also, most Trusts use their bank staff in the first instance so enquire about joining that too. Good luck with your search.

GLOBETROTTERHEAVEN Sat 18-Feb-17 21:27:43

Get your C.V. checked by a recruiter (they will usually do this when you register with them in their office) - a sub-standard C.V. won't get you an interview if its poorly presented, contains spelling and grammatical errors etc

Tailor your C.V. and covering letter to each job application

Register with all local recruitment agencies, Reed etc. Research to see if there are any agencies that deal specifically with your area of work and contact them.

Contact agencies every week to 'check in' and let them know you are still looking for a job; it helps keep you at the forefront of their mind should a potential role become available, otherwise your C.V. can just disappear into their system and you are less likely to be on their short list (a recruiter once told me this)

Consider temp work while you job search for your ideal role - better to be in a job and earning than not

Are there any companies you would like to work for? Research the companies in your area of interest/expertise/where you live and look at their websites as some companies have a recruitment section where you can apply directly to them

Good luck!

missbishi Sat 18-Feb-17 21:56:42

Is the 18k so you can have a non-EU spouse over here? If so, I suppose you could make it up with 2 jobs. It would be v. hard but the things we do for love etc.

BurleyBob47 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:14:16

Excellent advice. Cannot stress this enough. People are PEOPLE. Rocking up in person shows you have the guts to talk face to face.

FrenchCat Sat 18-Feb-17 22:18:51

Register with all the agencies - you need to find one who is on your side.
I registered with about 10 but only one was really actively getting me things.
Where are you? I know local to me (north east) there was lots of agency work that was full time (which I couldn't do)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now