Talk

Advanced search

To not feel bad for making a complaint against the shop assistant.

(38 Posts)
MsJamieFraser Sat 18-Feb-17 18:41:53

I posted a few days ago asking for advice regarding ds xbox headset.

We got it at Xmas, and it stopped working, took it back to Smyths, last month, and they tested it and said it was fine, said it was the software that needed updating, gave us a number to call Microsoft, called them and they tested it, also connected to ds xbox live and could not understand why it was not working, advised us to contact our internet provider, to get a communications portal open, they sad if that did not work take it back to the shop, with the 5 pin number they had given us.

Seen the same assistant who served us last month, he was going to say it needed testing, I advised him that he had tested it last time and said nothing was wrong, I advised it was the mic that was faulty, he then rolled his eyes and asked me if I had spoken to Microsoft, advised I did, and also Sky, as advised by Microsoft... he then rolled his eyes again and asked if I had the receipt, I said I had and also a PIN number given to us by Microsoft.

He looked at the receipt and said nothing he can do as the Smyths warranty was only 28 days and that I would need to contact Microsoft, I told him I had and they told me to come here and also if he had tested the mic when I had first turned up, I would have still been in the 28 days and also I was covered by law under the sale of goods act 1979.

He said he will do it this time as a goodwill, but in a very grumpy manner, however the policy is 28 days and I will have to remember that for next time. he asked for my name and address which I gave, he also asked for my phone number which I refused to give, as I had to changed my old number due to cold calling, explained I did not give out my personal number, however he stated he needed by number to complete the transaction, again explained my reasons, so he then slammed the till drawer.

He then told me that he was doing me a favour as really he should not be doing this exchange due to store policy, I then chucked the pen on the counter and asked me to sign receipt again telling me about store policy....

Mean while the queue is getting bigger.. and I was still waiting for him to hand me the new headset, however he just stood and staring at me like I had two heads. I then had to speak to him as he was just staring, and I told him I understood what he was saying, and I had listened to him the first time, so I am unsure as to why he keeps repeating himself, he then looked at me like an idiot and said well I am doing you a favour.

I then said I did not think he was doing me a favour as the item was less then 3 months old, it was not fit for purpose and that I was covered by the sale of goods act, so they may have a store policy, however my contract was with the store, he then started arguing with me, full on arguing, and the people behind me complaining that he should just serve me rather than repeat himself.

By this point I stated that I was not prepared to reprimanded by him any longer like I was a naughty child, I asked him to get the store manager, he then started arguing with me again, only this time with body actions, I then had to ask him again to stop arguing with me and get me the store manager... as im not prepared to stand here and allow him tp speak to me with an audience.

Hes still arguing with me when the store manager walks over, so he sees he's still shouting at me telling me I am now going to get him into trouble for the nice thing he was trying to do for me...

Explained the above to the manager, explained it was not the fact that he had given me the goodwill but it was being reprimanded continually and also in front of other customers, his body language, his poor customer service etc... manager then said it would not be goodwill as yes technically they do have a store policy, but as Microsoft had sent me with the pin, I could either have my money back or exchange, explained I had signed the receipt for the exchange, but he would rather argue with me then give me the bloody headset. Manager then told me he would personally be dealing with the complaint. and apologised for the assistants behaviour and also advised me to get Turtle beach head sets if the ones he had given me became faulty.

SIL then told me I should feel bad as I might get him into trouble confused

greathat Sat 18-Feb-17 18:44:12

No he got himself into trouble! He needs to learn how to treat customers

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Sat 18-Feb-17 18:45:14

No, don't give it another thought, he got himself into trouble.

Thattimeofyearagain Sat 18-Feb-17 18:50:43

Sil is being ridiculous. You did well not to twat the fucker ( and yes, I have worked in shops)

esiotrot2015 Sat 18-Feb-17 18:54:13

Goodness what a long story

Yes his fault , forget about it !

GTS Sat 18-Feb-17 18:58:19

He sounds like an absolute knob. Well done for standing your ground and staying calm.

Cherrysoup Sat 18-Feb-17 18:59:33

I think you were incredibly restrained and with luck, that assistant will be given an absolute bollocking some extra training as he is clearly in need. Very unfortunate of him to stand arguing with a customer in front of other customers, who will perhaps think twice before going there again.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sat 18-Feb-17 18:59:36

He is lucky to still be in an upright position. . .

BarryTheKestrel Sat 18-Feb-17 19:00:25

Absolutely appalling service. I would have complained too! Microsoft had authorised an exchange, meaning the shop wouldn't lose any money, any argument beyond that is invalid.

However for future reference, you'd be covered by the consumer rights act 2015 not sale of goods act as CRA superceded SOGA in Oct 2015 - I work in retail and honestly quoting incorrect legislation and using it as a basis for a refund/replacement is one of the most annoying things a customer can do.

NeedsAsockamnesty Sat 18-Feb-17 19:05:29

Tbh I would automatically assume that he had some form of social or comunication disorder

EweAreHere Sat 18-Feb-17 19:06:50

He got himself into trouble.

Kbear Sat 18-Feb-17 19:09:02

if that were the case he would surely be more closely supervised in a customer facing position? for his benefit as much as the customer?

NC1nightstand Sat 18-Feb-17 19:09:49

I would have asked to speak to the manager a lot sooner.
But it's resolved now, you have a working head set? I really don't understand your sil? Maybe she finds it hard to speak up for herself and was a bit.....no sorry, I can't come up with anything, her reaction is odd.

AristotlesTrousers Sat 18-Feb-17 19:19:52

I hope he did get Into trouble. He deserves it. No excuse for shouting and slamming things - appalling behaviour on his behalf.

Funnyface1 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:21:32

He sounds like a nightmare, you did the right thing, you don't need that. Also, I would be surprised if that's the first time the manager has had a problem with him. Glad the manager was right with you.

Willow2016 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:24:47

After all that the last thing I would be feeling was 'bad' for getting him in trouble!

If he want to argue with customers then he should have his facts right, and know how to interact with customers without comming over as a pompous fool!

I would have asked for the manager a lot sooner too.

Some people dont need a 'disorder' to be usless with customer service.

Lesley1980 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:25:43

You did the right thing. The 28 days goodwill thing is for unwanted items not faulty items.

TheMysteriousJackelope Sat 18-Feb-17 19:26:56

Of course you are reasonable for complaining about that sort of treatment.

It wasn't someone being a bit snappy because they are having a bad day or saying something that was well meant but came out wrong, this was someone who was shouting, rolling his eyes and being deliberately unpleasant. The only reason the manager came over was because the assistant called attention to the situation by letting the queue build up and shouting. He could easily have told you 'I don't have the authority for this kind of exchange, let me call the manager over' and gone on to serve others.

IrnBruTortie Sat 18-Feb-17 19:27:00

Yes - I generally love Smyths as the one near us has such brilliant customer service. If he can't take the culture, he shouldn't be working there. Well done!

GabsAlot Sat 18-Feb-17 19:30:25

nah you were completely in the right-like pp said i woild have aske to see the manager alot sooner

it was faulty and thats on them he needs to be re trained at least in the CRA

AyeAmarok Sat 18-Feb-17 19:36:41

You are right. Well done standing your ground.

He sounds like he has an anger management issue and he shouldn't be working in a customer facing role.

angeldelightedme Sat 18-Feb-17 19:38:45

I think it is the manager who bollocks staff for giving refunds.otherwise why would the sales assistant care less about giving refunds

kali110 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:39:42

For an ex retail worker, yanbu in anyway.
He was a twat.
He's got himself in trouble.

youarenotkiddingme Sat 18-Feb-17 19:39:44

Ive also worked in a shop and sales.

I hate all this "I'm doing you a favour" malarkey.

No your not.

You sold something that doesn't work - you have to deal with that. The thing about service is doing it with a smile and some empathy the customer has spent time after spending money to recify the problem they didn't cause.

He got himself in shit.

Grannyben Sat 18-Feb-17 19:48:00

I truly hate confrontation and will do anything to avoid an argument. This situation would have really upset me. Even though the issue was eventually sorted I actually think I would send a quick email to head office, advising them of the shoddy service you received

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now