Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had an oil spill/leak???

(4 Posts)
OliveOilHelp Sat 18-Feb-17 17:40:19

Shamelessly posting in aibu for traffic and out of desperation. Nc as revealing.

Has anyone had an oil leak/spill in their house? We have a huge spill under our house, caused by our neighbours not us. We had to move out in December and will be out for months. I am really hoping a mn'er will have had an experience to share with me, hoping maybe even have used the same remediation company. I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment, out if our house, reliant on insurance/solicitors/remediation companies and to ask someone who had been through this and come out the other side a few questions would be much appreciated

BoysaDearyMe Sat 18-Feb-17 17:48:42

Happened neighbours of mine. Oil spill from one house effected two properties behind. People were out of house for a good while (months, not years) contaminated earth removed and oil drained from house foundations. Fumes from the spill are bad for human health. Took a couple of years for insurance to settle the cases.

I must had an oil spill in back garden, didn't effct my house or anyone else's - I smelt it early. (Strong oil smell when at rear of garden - plus the skips of earth removed were v oil strong!) Still caused £10k damage tho, thankfully my insurance covered it.
Top tip for people with home heating oil - always check house insurance covers this type of thing as it's an environmental hazard and must be cleaned up.

EustaceClarenceScrubb Sat 18-Feb-17 18:23:29

This happened to us, it was v.stressful but we came through it. You can PM me any questions if you like.

OliveOilHelp Sat 18-Feb-17 18:52:06

Thank you both so much for replying.

BoysaDearyMe you were so lucky you noticed it so quickly in your garden.

When you say years for the insurance do you know was it because all three houses were claiming from the one policy?

EustaceClarenceScrubb is really is stressful isn't it, I would love to take you up on that offer, I'll pm you now wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now