Talk

Advanced search

...to ask about your plus sized pregnancy?

(55 Posts)
Moanyoldcow Sat 18-Feb-17 16:11:42

I'm fat. I'm losing weight, being much healthier etc. But I want another baby. Are there any women out there who had a relatively straightforward pregnancy and birth whilst being fat?

My first pregnancy with DS was ok except for SPD in third trimester and then high BP at the end worked full time throughout. I had em cs after a failed induction and it was pretty bad (lots of blood loss, minor infection afterwards) and I'm scared that It will be worse this time now I'm older.

I do understand the risks and I'm making changes (lost a stone so far this year) but realistically I can't wait much longer - I'm nearly 39.

I'd really appreciate you sharing your experiences if you've been in a similar situation.

Thank you.

NiceMoustache Sat 18-Feb-17 16:16:18

Perfectly normal pregnancy and birth as an old fat mum. Twice. No high blood pressure.

Slimmingsnake Sat 18-Feb-17 16:17:15

Same as tash above..I've pm you x

Katedotness1963 Sat 18-Feb-17 16:19:25

Pregnancy couldn't have been easier and the birth was quick, both times. I had absolutely no health problems and my kids were born perfectly healthy too.

FatOldBag Sat 18-Feb-17 16:19:45

Hello, I'm fat too! Bmi was about 27.5 or so when I got pg. The SPD is worse and started earlier (I was slim when I fell pg before), but then it tends to be worse in subsequent pregnancies anyway. I'm trying not to put much weight on, as the guidance says I should aim for a much lower weight gain than someone with a healthy Bmi. That's quite hard tbh and I feel bad when I read about increased risks this time due to my weight. If I had planned the pregnancy I'd have lost the weight first - however at 39 as you say there's a balance to be struck between losing the weight and worrying about running out of time. How much more do you have to lose?

peaceloveandbiscuits Sat 18-Feb-17 16:22:17

BMI over 40 here and both pregnancies totally boring and normal, much to my midwife's disgust smile sure she thought I cheated on my GTT, and my BP is always normal 120/80. I'm a fit fatty. Quick birth and healthy baby, second one due in June.

I wanted to lose weight before having another one, but it happened.

Whatasmashingpumpkin Sat 18-Feb-17 16:22:27

I'm currently 32 and 25 weeks with DC2. First pregnancy was high risk, BMI 36 and I developed GD and had bad SPD but aside from that all was fine, consultant led induction but birth ok after long process. This pregnancy, BMI is 35 and I'm again high risk. Horrific SPD this time since 16 weeks and no end of illness but sure this isn't weight related. I've been really pressured about my weight during this pregnancy, far more than during my 1st. I'm pretty sure I am developing gd again and am due to be tested again next week, and I do feel guilty if I'm honest that I'm putting another baby at risk all because Im greedy and lazy and didn't learn any lessons from 1st pregnancy. I had actually lost 1.5 stone and was enrolled on a new fitness programme and wasn't planning on trying for dc2 until I was thinner and fitter but it happened by accident 6 months earlier than I'd hoped to even start trying.
But I do feel guilty about being fat and pregnant and the impact on baby.

Ifitquackslikeaduck Sat 18-Feb-17 16:22:37

I was overweight for 2 pregnancies and had straightforward pregnancies and births. I did have spd with my second but that was related to hypermobility not being overweight. I had no high blood pressure, no diabetes and had successful, quick homebirths for both. There were also of average size (between 6 and 8 lbs).

I was also an older mum at 35+

ProfessorBranestawm Sat 18-Feb-17 16:25:05

Depends how overweight surely. 28 BMI, while still overweight, is very different from 40 BMI!

I was always overweight and both pregnancies were fine, although my second child was huge and the doctors reckoned I must have developed GD (after the 28wk test which was clear) and DC2 had blood sugar issues at the beginning.

I would love love love another baby but having been very ill since having my kids, my BMI is much much higher (40, was probably 30-35 the first times) and it's harder to lose it now I'm not able to exercise so much. TBH I could pass for several months pregnant already blush and I'm not sure I'd be up to it. I'm only 30 but DH is older.

Sixgeese Sat 18-Feb-17 16:28:47

I have health issues (unrelated to my size at the time), but I had three successful pregnancies when I was 17 stone plus.

It didn't take long to conceive, about 4 months first time, up to 7 months the last time.

Main difference was despite having no blood sugar problems in any drip stick test I had to have a GTT for each pregnancy, and had to have a meeting with a doctor prior to labour in case I needed an epidural as my size would have made it difficult to position.

I had three natural quick labours (one 5 weeks premature, two induced 3 weeks early due to my blood clotting disorder) but my size didn't affect my labours at all, the longest labour was 4 hours.

I didn't gain weight in any pregnancy and lost a bit during the first as being pregnant encouraged me to eat healthy.

flownthecoopkiwi Sat 18-Feb-17 16:43:13

I was a size 26 with both pregnancies, bmi around 49.

Had completely healthy pregnancies and normal births with no interventions. I was reasonably fit which helps I think.

No gestational diabetes, no high bp. I was under consultant care as a precaution however.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 18-Feb-17 16:52:05

35 and size 24. No problems during pregnancy , but long labour, difficulties with mobility, problems with epidural, emcs under ga and all a bit scary. Do wish Id been fitter and a healthier weight, thankfully ds made it through a difficult entry to the world..

Moanyoldcow Sat 18-Feb-17 16:56:18

Thank you everyone! I'm feeling hopeful. Still going to keep losing weight and should be ok if/when I do get pregnant.

If the next one isn't 11lb again that might help!!

Applebite Sat 18-Feb-17 20:01:02

I had a BMI of about 32 when I had my DC. All fine but I got GD. I was v v careful not to put on much weight and only gained 15lbs in pregnancy, 7.4 of which was baby!!

Now I'd love another but I'm terrified it would come back and not go away a second time. So need to lose weight (about 2 stone this time) and quickly as I'm 39 already. If you want a diet baby buddy, PM me smile

Noodledoodledoo Sat 18-Feb-17 21:36:49

BMI of 38 with both pregnancies, no overall weight gain from pregnancies other than baby - was back to pre birth weight within a couple of weeks with both, (with second lost a stone as well).

Was 37 with first, 39 with second in terms of age.

High risk due to being fat and old!

No GTT, no Blood pressure issues - annoyed many a nurse for being very low most of the time.

Both babies big, induced with first and ended up with section as large head and facing wrong way caused issues, second was also induced but much later due to me standing up to consultants, natural delivery.

Slight back/pelvis issues with first devloping during labour and lasted about 8 months but sorted with physio and then keeping up pilates.

I didn't diet during pregnancy but didn't go down the route of 'I have an excuse to eat cake' either.

Best of luck.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sat 18-Feb-17 21:51:29

Well how fat?

I was 13 stone at 5ft 5 when I conceived, I think I was weighed twice? Not really sure as it wasn't mentioned at all. I actually ended that pregnancy at 11 stone if only I'd been able to stay there!

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sat 18-Feb-17 21:52:26

Should probably add it didn't diet, I had twins so a healthy portion was babies, but I was nauseous from start to finish and barely ate anything bar orange ice lollies.

jennymac31 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:56:20

I was overweight when pregnant with dd and had a pretty easy pregnancy. The labour was long (56 hours) but that was due to me having an infection and the midwife not giving me any treatment for 24 hours and effectively delaying the labour! Am 27 weeks pregnant with 2nd baby and probably weigh more than I did in 1st pregnancy. Have found this pregnancy a bit more tiring but I think it's because I'm a bit older. Started suffering spd sooner than last time but have not had any complications in this pregnancy.

Good luck.

BettyOBarley Sat 18-Feb-17 21:58:30

I was 36 and obese (BMI 32) in my last pregnancy. It was very straightforward, no problems (except a high Downs risk which was a false alarm), no high blood pressure, tested negative for GD. Had a straightforward, fast labour.

IAmNotAWitch Sat 18-Feb-17 22:00:05

Two easy pregnancies and births was quite fat for both. Fit though, and ate well.

Two healthy baby boys.

At 39 I Dont think you have the time to spare.

Take care of yourself, but Dont wait.

sotiredbutworthit Sat 18-Feb-17 22:04:58

BMI of 36 and no problems here with either. Xxx

kimmy121 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:16:33

Had a perfect, drama free pregnancy until 35 weeks and it all went a bit Pete Tong.
Pre eclampsia, norovirus, emergency creation and a 3lb 14lb baby the needed to stay in SCBU. Butthe I don't think any of that was to do with me being a fatty 😂😂

kimmy121 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:17:17

Typo central.
*c section
*but I

ShelaghTurner Sat 18-Feb-17 22:24:59

Size 22 and BMI well over 40 for both of mine. I was monitored because they kept looking for problems when there weren't any. Both pregnancies fine, two quick and easy labours, no problems. There was an issue after birth with dd1 but that was entirely due to the appalling midwives and their lack of help or concern, nothing related to my weight at all.

peaceloveandbiscuits Sat 18-Feb-17 22:45:39

Shelagh I still read all your posts in Mrs Turner's voice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now